Blue Note 80th Anniversary reissues...any news?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by riverrat, Nov 9, 2018.

Tags:
  1. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

I didn't realise the next batch are imminent — I've only just gotten hold of the last three (Blue Grooves, Part 1)!

scotti likes this.
  2. usethefourth

usethefourth Well-Known Member

Yep! The Ethiopian Knights I ordered is supposed to be here tomorrow!

Mister President, scotti and zither like this.
  3. Crazysteve

Crazysteve Gonzo Party Member

As I await Ethiopian Nights and the Boogaloo to arrive, I’m wondering, does anyone has a favorite from this series yet? I have all but two but I find this series a much tougher to easily rank, as compared to the Tone Poets, that I seemingly can rank off the top of my head. Bear in mind that it is my first go-around with the titles in each series. I love the Johnnie Griffin debut but the rest, outside of Lonnie Smith, don’t jump at me like a number of the tone poets do. Is there an explanation for this or are the BN80’s about to kick it into another gear? Hopefully starting tomorrow. I am pumped for these to arrive.

scotti likes this.
  4. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Got back with Alligator Boogaloo and Ethiopian Knights...Vinyl looks good/flat except there are a few little marks on the Donald Byrd, side one/song one...played through that part and they did not affect the sound one bit (all good)...Will be listening to both later today and will share my thoughts. Ethiopian Knights is the only title I have gotten from this series that does not list Kevin Gray's name on the back cover...no worries, his initials are in the deadwax...

mcwlod, shawnwes and zither like this.
  5. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

I have 9 of the 12 after today...of course still need to listen to the two I just picked up, but the Johnny Griffin and Grant Green seem to be my favorites so far. Keep in mind I am very partial to Mr. Green.

Just look at those 9/13 and 10/11 releases to your point about kicking it into another gear...

shawnwes and Crazysteve like this.
  6. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

I already had some of these on other releases, such as Hubbard’s Open Sesame. This is perhaps my favorite Hubbard lp so it would have been by far my top pick of the series to date had I not already owned it. If that was one of the two you didn’t buy , that’s a hole that needs fixen’

7. Crazysteve

Maybe I am on the right path. The two I spun last night were Open Sesame and Grant Green. They are good, and I’m excited for hub tones. Thanks guys! I’ve also just remembered that there have only been three months of releases. The fun is only beginning.

mcwlod, AFA, shawnwes and 1 other person like this.
  8. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

What a day of amazing Jazz! Alligator Bogaloo is just incredible! The sound on this one really is sweet. Nice bottom end and all of the instruments shine big time. Not much of a George Benson fan, but he smokes on this. I can't wait to listen to this one again...Highly Recommended!

Ethiopian Knights...got this one (unheard) because of fellow members advice. All I can say is this is worth having for "The Little Rasti"...was not expecting something this so outside the box (especially this song), and fantastic. Great sound and good bottom end as well...

Only one listen per...but I am more than happy with both of these albums!

polchik, Joe Harley, zither and 9 others like this.
  9. Mister President

Mister President Forum Resident

After Herbie Hancock, Donald Byrd is my favourite jazz funk musician of the 70s (Donald may of had a more consistent run to be honest but I think Herbie had higher highs!) so Ethiopian Knights is a must buy for me.

zither, mcwlod, Peter Duncan and 3 others like this.
  10. mcwlod

mcwlod Outside Looking In

Could you tell us how does Alligator compare to Mr.Shing-a-ling TP release? Is it the same superb quality? Pressing, sound?
    I think those 2 albums coming from the same period, the same label and both cut by Kevin Gray could make na excellent comparing material:)

scotti likes this.
  11. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

After only one listen I would say the sound is very favorable to Mr. Shing-A-Ling...the vinyl looks nice/flat/quiet...I do think Joe picked the better of the two (music wise) for the Tone Poet line. I just wish the cover was nicer for the "Alligator".

Of course finally hearing AB sound this good, I am sure it will continue to grow on me and impress more. I will say that the song "I Want A Little Girl" sounds somewhat out of place here, not a bad song, just doesn't seem to fit the rest of the album. But as I said, only one spin so far. And when I say it's got some nice bottom to it, wait until you hear it. Looking forward to your feedback after you listen...

I have to compliment you on doing the comparison as I will A/B them later today.

mcwlod likes this.
  12. KOWHeigel

KOWHeigel Forum Resident

I have all three arriving today. Should be a nice Friday night.

scotti and shawnwes like this.
  13. Cervelo

Cervelo Forum Resident

The records continue to sound pretty darn good thanks to Kevin Gray, but I gotta say for company synonymous with quality you can't spend a buck or two and upgrade those flimsy jackets and static ridden three cent white inner sleeves. I literally had to cut and then peel the sleeve off the vinyl.

aoxomoxoa, garrincha, mcwlod and 3 others like this.
  14. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

Ethiopian Knights is a cool record, especially the funky B-side. "Jamie" on side A is a bit of a detour, but it has the good grace of being short.

scotti likes this.
  15. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I've listened to all the cds in the Japanese 80th Anniversary reissue series that I received last month, they all sound very good and are good choices. There are more to be released in ten days; I have most of them on pre-order.

16. In da house. Byrd more Funk less jazz but funky delicious. Ya gotta blast this thing. :tiphat:

[​IMG]

17. Rob Zarzecki

Rob Zarzecki Forum Resident

I wonder if that's the same model from Mr shing-a-ling on the Alligator cover

Joe Harley and MisterBritt like this.
  18. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Getting ready for another spin of AB and EK...

Question for anyone here...any of you familiar with the Paul Gonsalves album "Getting Together" or Blue Mitchell's "Step Lightly"...reason I ask is I have original/early pressings on hold at my local shop...

19. Carter DeVries

Carter DeVries Forum Resident

The Scofield is looking to be a top ten fave pickup for the year so far. Grab this one. All four sides just smoke!

20. Carter DeVries

Carter DeVries Forum Resident

And the Byrd...!.... Holy Hell this thing is smokin’!! Reference SQ and amazing grooves.

This is a killer batch. All three are fantastic.

MisterBritt and scotti like this.
  21. Cervelo

Cervelo Forum Resident

I bought this one in the dark and I'm glad I did. Sco and Eddie Harris really groove.

22. Crazysteve

Ha! That is one unique individual. It’s gotta be the same.
    AB and EK are beautiful to come home to! EK kicked it off and it’s perfectly funky. Best BN80 sound I’ve heard yet. I can barely wait to hear what AB has to offer. I like what I’ve read so far on here about it. And then on to a comparison between AB and Mr Shing a Ling.

scotti and struttincool like this.
  23. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

opted to pick bogaloo locally today instead of via amazon. what a killer sounding album! i wish this one had received the tone poet treatment instead of shing-a-ling

24. struttincool

struttincool Senior Member

Super happy with Alligator Bogaloo. I'll see if I can warm up to the other 2 August releases via spotify. 6 for 6 on great pressings from Optimal for this series.
    [​IMG]

25. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

Idris Muhammad and Lonnie Smith lay down their indefatigable groove on Alligator Boogaloo. I don't really care who's in the front line--give me those two keeping it in the pocket and I'm there.

timzigs, blutiga, mcwlod and 2 others like this.