Rolling Stones 2019 U.S. Summer Tour

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bowie Fett, Nov 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy Forum Resident

Yes, and I know you will have an amazing time.

2. classicrocker

classicrocker Life is good!

I am not talking about deliberate choices on Keef's part Tony. I am talking about the obvious bad notes and struggles fretting and keeping up with the band that I started noticing post 1999.

I saw a decent amount of shows in person starting with the BtB tour and also was heavily into bootlegs and trading, weeding and vining live Stones shows starting with that tour. I have dozens of BtB audio shows and every video I could get my hands for that and recent tours. I have the complete Licks tour in audience recordings with the exception of the Singapore shows and I listened to every one of them back in the day so it is not like I am basing my opinion on one-off night.

You may be right the Bigger Bang tour post-accident shows are the worst, as I never got to that level of comparison, but IMHO even before he got hurt his struggles were becoming more evident to me with each passing tour. Subtle at first but very obvious the last couple of tours.

And I also started to notice Ronnie having some issue this tour as well. Again very subtle but still noticeable for anyone who attends, listens to and watches a lot of Stones concert videos
    over the years. At first I thought it was just me but then I was reading a thread on the Stones IORR forum where other hard core fans were asking "what is up with Ronnie's playing?" so I am not the only one.

That being said the Gillette show I went to was very enjoyable and unless someone is hardcore fan, who attend a lot of shows and constantly listens to live Stones concerts, you would never think Keef has any issues. The band sounded great in general and other than obvious mistakes the average fan would never notice Keef's struggles.

I am not trying to imply it is not worth going to a Stones show only pointing out the observations of a hardcore obsessive fan that I am.

The band sounds great, they put on a fantastic show, and it is not just a concert it is an event to share with fellow Stones fans so go and enjoy!

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
  3. btltez

btltez Forum Resident

ok ok ok. quit repeating all the same Keef stuff. He is a God no matter what. Go see them in 2019 or don't. As for the other topic in this thread, I just saw 5 comments elsewhere when a friend posted he was seeing them in Denver. 5 of the 6 comments said
    "Can't wait to see Mick and The Boys"
    "I'm going to see Jagger tonight too!
    "Heading to Denver to see Mick and The Stones" and two more Mick focused comments. So yeah. I think people would go see Mick if there were no more Stones and he was playing the hits. Just a feeling.

4. classicrocker

classicrocker Life is good!

I hear you btltez, no more posts on Keef's playing skills I promise.

Mick would still draw a crowd but I don't think he could fill stadiums as a solo act playing Stones songs and I am skeptical he could fill many arenas without the rest of the Stones as he did not have much success when he went solo in the 80's when he and Keef were fighting.

That being said I would go see him as a solo artist.

Matthew Tate and btltez like this.
  5. btltez

btltez Forum Resident

Yeah I don't think he could do stadiums but I def think he could do arenas, but only if The Stones were done/dead (gawd just typing that hurt my soul) and he was still singing and prancing as well as he is now. But yeah I get your skepticism, I have some too.

footlooseman and classicrocker like this.
  6. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

There was an anecdote in Keith’s book about some show in the 70s where the promoter billed the concert as “Mick Jagger and the Rolling Stones,” which Keith of course put a stop to, but, outside of the devoted fandom, to the public at large, Mick is the Stones. I have a friend with a six-year-old who does a hilarious impersonation of Mick’s strutting and dancing whenever a Stones song comes on. I doubt she could identify Keith or Charlie Woods, but she knows who Mick is.

btltez likes this.
  7. MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy Forum Resident

^ that's a really strong data point.

8. btltez

btltez Forum Resident

" I wanna see Mick Jaaaaager god dammit "

All Down The Line and TonyCzar like this.
  9. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

Another data point is that there’s a recent hit single called “Moves Like Jagger” but not one called “Mis-Frets Like Keith.”

Chris Bernhardt likes this.
  10. Bullis

Bullis Forum Resident

Oh really. Guy has been sitting with these guy for 57 years, gotta be tiring at 78.

11. Bullis

Bullis Forum Resident

Depending on the tunes about his voice.

12. NaturalD

NaturalD The King of Pop

And yet he chooses to do it even though there is no reason to believe he needs the money. Do you think Mick and Keith have compromising photos or something?

All Down The Line and btltez like this.
  13. Bullis

Bullis Forum Resident

I’m sure he doesn’t want to let Keith down.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  14. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

I think it is more true now than in 1969, for example.

The Beatles archive releases are still a big deal, far more so than Stones archive releases. There's just been countless news stories about the 50th anniv. of Abbey Road with photos of people lining up for their chance on the zebra crossing.

porieux, JoeRockhead and Matthew Tate like this.
  15. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

Fair enough. I didn't really see that, myself. By the end of "Licks", the shows did get less entertaining for me once it moved into 2003, and I'm not sure of the reason. But as precise as Keith was in 1999, I don't think it was some apex of accomplishment on an up-slope. It struck me than* then and still does as a deliberate decision about how they were gonna play those 1999 shows, and put those performances across, and how he was going to play guitar. And when the tour was over, so was that style of putting the songs across. A very special tour, that one.

And I can see not wanting to do the same-old, same-old on their next tour out (2002). They drug out CYHMK in 2002, which I don't think they would have if Keith was not in control of his faculties. (Speculate, speculate, and speculate some more? Don't mind if I do!)

He's got a long history of clams. My own opinion is that there's a line between clams and incapacitated.

And I'm not defending the castle walls here, but in 1997 they did go with a whole new sound system approach by Clair Bros. that supposedly reduced echo in stadiums. I don't know how much of what they did can throw one off... but it's a sorry excuse. One has time to get used to it.

First asked in 1975! ;)

* Clearly my time in Carousel has arrived...

16. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

OMG, I just came up with a GREAT idea for the 50th of "Sticky Fingers"!!

17. btltez

btltez Forum Resident

Mostly because The Stones archive releases are ABCKO and they suck and the band does nothing to promote them. Also, The Beatles were always more into promotion and press ass kissing. The Stones just didn't give a **** about that stuff as much.

905 and Matthew Tate like this.
  18. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

TBF, ABKCO's hands are tied with respect to material they didn't already release. They can't resequence or enhance track listings of known album titles, e.g. (I just took a look at "Stray Cats" from the mono box, wondering how THAT got past the lawyers, and I see that it's all tracks taken from singles and EPs; and/or which which did not appear on any regular studio album in that mix, edit or form.)

I'm assuming that they COULD with the Stones' signoff, but except for copyright extension releases, I can't see why the Stones would provide it.

That said, streaming services have put stuff up from ABKCO up to and including audio of "Gimme Shelter" movie outtakes - but ownership of a film might be a whole different ball of legal wax than the agreements worked up over the years wrt the albums.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  19. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

The Stones’ 60s archive releases would be a bigger deal if not for the legal mess with ABKCO that prevents the Stones albums from being reissued with outtakes and bonus tracks. There would almost certainly still be more interest in the Beatles’ reissues, but at least the Stones would be on more of a level playing field.

All Down The Line and MPLRecords like this.
  20. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Johnny Depp did 3 movies that did a billion in business based on Keith.

21. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Charlie seemed pretty honest about his motivations in the interview linked earlier. I don't think he tours just to placate Keith...

Matthew Tate likes this.
  22. Oatsdad

Which is why they Stones would often have such elaborate press stunts/conferences to launch tours/new albums! :shh:

23. Bullis

Bullis Forum Resident

What is his motivation then at 78?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  24. Oatsdad

The same as the others: he enjoys it and $$$!

It gets him out of the house and gives him something to do....

MrGrumpy likes this.
  25. MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy Forum Resident

Satisfaction?

Plus, Charlie's family tours with him. He probably wouldn't see his granddaughter as much otherwise.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.