Ringo Starr: Album By Album Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by omikron, Jun 25, 2019.

1. beatlesfan9091

beatlesfan9091 Forum Resident

Bad Boy - Another pleasant surprise! No, it's not a masterpiece, but honestly as long as an album can get my toe tapping I'm fine having it as background music. My favorite tracks are Bad Boy (oyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoy), Lipstick Traces (On A Cigarette), and Monkey See-Monkey Do.

Wiserforthetime and omikron like this.
  2. Panther

Panther Forum Resident

From my blog: https://www.reganraves.com/

1976 – Ringo’s Rotogravure

And so it came to pass that Ringo, on the sauce, divorced, and with eyebrows and hair shaved off, got a new record deal.

43 years later, does anyone know what a "rotogravure" is? Well, one Beatle fan informed me that it means as follows: “a type of intaglio printing process, which involves engraving the image onto an image carrier.”

I mean, nothing says “rock’n’roll” like that does…

A Dose of Rock & Roll – Not bad at all.

Hey! Baby – Production and his vocal are fine, but it just pales compared to the original.

Pure Gold – Yawn... okay tune, but needs a stronger vocalist.

Cryin' – Fascinating Ringo-lyric insight into his failed marriage with Maureen. Not a bad song.

You Don't Know Me At All – Weird song... and who is Dave Jordan, the writer? Video for this is on YouTube. Anyone know why he made a video for it?

Cookin' (In the Kitchen of Love) – Not bad, charming little Lennon tune. Throwaway, but fun. Chords are good.

I'll Still Love You – Very average, somewhat ponderous George-tune.

This Be Called a Song – Not too bad... nice change of aesthetic into Caribbean sound. Thanks, Eric.

Las Brisas – From Caribbean to mariachi... sorry Ringo, but your voice just doesn't cut it. Co-written by Nancy Andrews...? What?

Lady Gaye – So-so song, but that guitar soloing is good! Is that Clapton? Frampton? The guitar is awesome!! He should have fired Vini Poncia or whoever and hired that guitarist as collaborator!

Spooky Weirdness – More like 'Spooky Crapness'.

This album wasn't as bad as I expected it to be. Don't get me wrong – it's still mostly disposable garbage, but it does have a nice, easy-listening-with-diversity kind of charm. Nothing is particularly offensive.

Vinyl inner-sleeve photo might be the 'moodiest' photo I've ever seen of Ringo!:
    [​IMG]

1977 – Ringo the 4th

Here we go with Ringo's R&B/disco album, aka: the album that completed the murdering of his career that Rotogravure had started!

Drowning In The Sea Of Love – Good song, but what really makes this is Ringo's committed vocal. (Needless to say, the Joe Simon original, with the real Gamble/Huff production values, is better.)

Tango All Night – Uptempo pace is good, but the song is nothing of substance.

Wings – I'm not feelin' it. Groove is okay, but the melody just isn't strong enough to merit being a lead-off single. No wonder this album flopped. Also, this is what's known as "Death-by-midtempo". I guess I respect Ringo trying to push one of his and Vini's songs but... em, this just isn't good enough.

Gave It All Up – Major vocal "fail" on this Gallagher/Lyle snoozer.

Out On The Streets – Silly lyric, but relatively speaking, this is bouncy and more fun than most tracks. Ringo seems to be tryin' for a disco-era "street", hard-man persona here.

Can She Do It Like She Dances – Why is Ringo trying to vocally "growl" his way through all the tracks? This song is... really bad. "Some girls get off by putting on a show"... really, Richy?

Sneaking Sally Through The Alley – I'm not buying Ringo as swingin', urban sex-God. Maybe it’s just me.

It's No Secret – Better. Nice, light guitar parts.

Gypsies In Flight – Hard to stay awake through this. I like how Ringo pronounces "affair" as "affer". His vocal is surprisingly good here.

Simple Love Song – Seems like a cheesy song to impress a woman. Who was he chasing in 1977?

I have a feeling this one is even worse than Rotogravure, which is quite an achievement. However, I will say his singing is quite inspired at times on this one, and in general is much more impressive than on most of his records.

1978 – Bad Boy

Another disappointment. At this point, his career is in the toilet, circling the bowl.

The following songs actually aren’t too awful, and show a big improvement over Ringo the 4th (not that that's saying much):

- Lipstick Traces (On a Cigarette)
    - Heart on My Sleeve
    - Who Needs a Heart
    - Where Did Our Love Go
    - Old Time Relovin'
    - A Man Like Me

But boy, “Hard Times”, “Bad Boy”, “Tonight”, and “Monkey See-Monkey Do” are horrendous.

1981 – Stop And Smell The Roses

According to some, this LP represents a comeback of sorts for Ringo and is one of his best. I would like to confirm that this popular opinion is false. This record is another bad one.

It kicks off with the repetitive and bouncy “Private Property”, in which Ringo declares his woman his private property and says, “She belongs to me!”. PC it ain’t. This is the 80s now, right Ringo?? It’s a disposable pop tune that leaves the mind the moment it’s over, and the rest of this record follows suit. George Harrison’s “Wrack My Brain” is an almost highlight here, but it’s horribly produced and has that same negative-vibes, mad-at-the-world feeling of George’s early-80s’ stuff. Harry Nilsson’s “Drumming is my Madness” is a total embarrassment of the highest order, while his and Ringo’s collaboration on “Stop and Take the Time to Smell the Roses” might be even worse. Paul McCartney gave Rings a toss-off (don’t stop reading the sentence there) called “Attention”, but it’s not really worthy of any.

Side Two is similarly all-filler, no killer. Ringo and Ronnie Wood’s “Dead Giveaway” is hard to stay awake throughout. Some boring covers then fill out this second half of the album, before Ringo ends with a pointless re-recording of his own long-ago hit, “Back Off Boogaloo”.

Why are horns all over this album? Nothing was more out-of-fashion in 1981 than horns.

My advice is, do not stop and smell the feces.

1983 – Old Wave

Okay, this was a shocker for me. Old Wave is surprisingly good! This is the one where no record-label in the UK or the USA was willing to release it, and Ringo had to settle for it coming out on RCA-Canada in select territories, and on the Bellaphon label in Germany. It sank like a stone, failing to make the top-100 on any international chart. As Ringo was already riding a major downward spiral, I had assumed that this one must therefore be a total turkey. But it’s not bad at all!

In My Car – Great! Crunchy rock riffs, à la Bryan Adams, with just the subtlest hint of a new-wave style. I already like this better than anything on the previous three or four albums. Decent song. Hell, even his voice reaches some pretty good heights. Nice rock-out at the end! Yes, I'm having this!! It pisses all over all Wings' albums and might be better than anything on Somewhere in England! Color me surprised!

Hopeless – Ugh. After a cool-as-f*** opener, did Richy have to jump straight into a cornball, self-mocking novelty-tune? And holy Debbie-downer lyric. At least there's some gnarly guitar leads – thank God Joe Walsh was on board – to lift it above the wimp-fest of solo Beatle material of this era. Not much of a melody here, and another mid-tempo pace.

Alibi – More mid-tempo. Lyric for Barbara? Unfortunately, the style here sounds exactly like the first two songs, with even less 'tune' than "Hopeless".

Be My Baby – Joe Walsh tune. At least it has some melody, and a catchy chorus. This isn't too bad, and the guitar is cool again. Unfortunately, the bizarre synthesizer effects and distortions don't really help except in adding novelty. Ringo's even kind of scat-singing at the end, which is nice!

She's About A Mover – The inevitable cover. Ringo and 12-bar blues can't be all bad, and it's nice to hear him dig in vocally and growl it out a bit. Awesome licks by Joe Walsh again. The horns aren't really doing it for me (the original was 'Tex-Mex' style), but at least it allows for some much-needed aural diversity. A worthy track for the Ring-master.

I Keep Forgettin' – I didn't go back to listen to the Chuck Jackson original (1962), but I can see why, according to Wiki, this is an unusual Leiber/Stoller tune. It's a cool song, and once again Joe Walsh elevates it with his awesome guitar tone. Damn, that cat can play!! Still, shouldn't we kick off Side 2 with an original tune and not another cover? A really good cover, though.

Picture Show Life – Nice song by John Reid (Elton John's manager)... and John Slate, whoever he is. I like this a lot! Anyone know if this was written exclusively for Ringo? The arrangement is really good, and it even sounds very contemporary, like a Hall and Oates tune with some better guitar. Cool song! Only Ringo's slightly weak vocals diminish it a bit. But that's not terrible either. This tune is an undiscovered gem.

As Far as We Can Go – A wimpy ballad with electric keyboards all over it was not a good idea. The problem with these kinds of torch-ballads is that Ringo simply cannot sing them very well. Why did he even try, at this point? (I see that there's a five-and-half minute version of this available now…? Ugh.)

Everybody's In a Hurry But Me – From this 1978-derived jam session, I was quite excited to hear ol' Ringo bashing the skins off the top of the track... but then I read that it's Ray Cooper playing drums (he also plays on “I Keep Forgettin''). I guess basically there's no Ringo on here at all except the two sentences he speaks.

Going Down – Throwaway Ringo/Walsh tune, but that harmonica sounds good (played by... you guessed it!... Joe Walsh). Ringo's drums sound good here. Not a bad groovy little toe-tapper.

I am PLEASANTLY SURPRISED. I would say this is best thing Ringo had done since Goodnight Vienna. "In My Car" should be on every Ringo compilation. It's not only a good song, but it's got contemporary style that isn't embarrassing! The two 60s' covers are both great. "Picture Show Life" is an out-of-nowhere winner that grabbed me by the knackers and wouldn't let go. "Be My Baby" is a fresh, uptempo, catchy song (goes a bit overboard with the synths). "Going Down" is another winner, and is the kind of easygoing, groovy tune Ringo should have done more of (and ditched the torch ballads). "Everybody's in a Hurry" is a good one, too, even if Ringo's barely on it.

The lesser few songs kind of suck, but even among them there isn't anything terrible, unlike his late-70s' albums which were chock-full of cack. I do think this LP could have been better sequenced, as three mid-tempo songs in a row off the top kind of lulls the listener.

Needless to say, this is as much a Joe Walsh album as a Ringo album. Actually, it's much more a Joe Walsh guitar album than a Ringo drum album! This is a good thing, as Walsh is a world-class musician and possibly the best guitar player Ringo ever worked with in his entire career.

In conclusion, this is one of Ringo's best albums and not at all a turkey.

jeremylr, omikron and WilliamWes like this.
  3. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Interesting to note Ringo had a hand in writing my 3 favs on Old Wave (tracks 1-3)

jeremylr, theMess and omikron like this.
  4. kollektionist

kollektionist Forum Resident

Afaic Old Wave is the last great Ringo album. From here on it's individual tracks for me.

omikron likes this.
  5. lavalamp3

lavalamp3 Forum Resident

Yes, I'm pretty sure this version was produced by Russ Ballard. Russ was originally due to produce the whole album but unfortunately, suffered a family bereavement shortly after the sessions began and had to bale out. It's by far my favourite track amongst an otherwise generic set of Ringo recordings - a timeless quality to the production and for me, much preferable to the version they selected for the actual album.

It does indeed have a George Martin-esque, 'Goodnight' quality, and an edited version of the track is in fact the Ringo song I employ for my 'fantasy late 70's Beatles' album!

omikron likes this.
  6. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account Thread Starter

And the award for "Most bizarre out-of-context statement on this thread" goes to:

mrjinks and planckera like this.
  7. beatlesfan9091

Stop and Smell the Roses - Easily his best since Ringo. Wrack My Brain, You Belong To Me, and Sure To Fall are the clear highlights here, and each one would make it to any "Best of Ringo Starr" playlist I'd make.

theMess and omikron like this.
  8. beatlesfan9091

Old Wave is forgettable, unfortunately. At one point I had to check and see which song I was on because they all sound the same.

Ranking so far

Ringo
    Stop and Smell the Roses
    Ringo The 4th
    Bad Boy
    Goodnight Vienna
    Beacoups of Blues
    Sentimental Journey
    Old Wave

MPLRecords and omikron like this.
  9. SixOClockBoos

SixOClockBoos The Man On The Flaming Pie

Old Wave:

Although Stop And Smell The Roses was a more commercially successful Ringo album since Ringo's Rotogravure, it didn't help Ringo much. Ringo was working on his follow up effort with former Eagles member, Joe Walsh, when RCA canceled Ringo's recording contract with them and no major U.S. label was willing to sign Ringo to a record contract. Boardwalk was supposed to release the album in the U.S., but the label shut down after the label head's death. Eventually RCA Canada will distribute the album in various countries while Bellaphon will distribute the album in Germany. The album did not see a U.S. or U.K. release until the 90's. Album sessions concluded in July of 1982 and the album was released 11 months later.

This album contains some hidden gems in it and it's a real shame that the majority of U.K. and U.S. audiences did not get to hear this record until the 90's. There are a few songs here that are really good.

Now I will go through the songs and what I think of them.
    In My Car: A really great starting track. It's quite upbeat, very bouncy and fun and would've made a great single if it was promoted properly in the U.S. IMO. 2nd Favorite.
    Hopeless:
    More upbeat songs, but this time with a downer lyric. Some of the lyrics are quite fun and the guitars are nice in this. Great to have Joe Walsh on board. 4th Favorite.
    Alibi:
    The upbeat music has gone and this song sounds like a dirge to get through. It's not a favorite of mine. 8th Favorite.
    Be My Baby:
    Ok, after that awkward pause in the middle of the first side we are greeted back to the upbeat music. It's not a cover of the Ronettes song of the same name, but an original song penned by Joe Walsh. I quite like this one after a few months of listening to it. It's become a favorite from this album. 3rd Favorite.
    She's About A Mover:
    Ringo's cover on the album. I never was too familiar with the original version by the Sir Douglas Quintet, but Ringo's version isn't too bad. 5th Favorite.
    I Keep Forgettin':
    Looks like the songs that are placed in multiples of three are the weak songs on this album for me. It's not a favorite of mine. 7th Favorite.
    Picture Show Life:
    Now this song is the song from the album that knocked me off my feet. First time listening to this album at like 3, going on 4 in the morning, I remember this easy-mid tempo ballad with a wonderful vocal, nice arrangement and just about everything else of the song being placed perfectly on the album. It's a good length too since it fades out at a good part. I wish I could call it a single, but I know it's just an album track. Favorite song on the album.
    As Far As We Can Go:
    Originally one of the four songs recorded by Ringo in 1978 for his proposed follow up to Bad Boy, the only thing that survives is the vocal from that first version (although the original version can be heard as a bonus track on the 1994 CD release). I prefer the 1978 version better. This 1983 remake is too synth-based. Even for me. The album can actually stop here since the last two songs are throwaways. 6th Favorite.
    Everybody's In A Hurry But Me:
    I knew John Entwistle appears on this, but I had no idea that Ringo's only appearance on this track is saying the song's title twice. Pretty lame about that. Pretty lame song too. Least favorite.
    Going Down:
    It's not much of a song. It's alright I guess, but unfortunately there really was nothing to save the album after "As Far As We Can Go". Maybe switch the positions of these two songs and the flow would be nicer and something worthwhile to hear "Everybody's In A Hurry But Me". 9th Favorite.

omikron likes this.
  10. kollektionist

kollektionist Forum Resident

Rotogravure ?

omikron and beatlesfan9091 like this.
  11. beatlesfan9091

Whoops.
    I’d place it after Goodnight Vienna.

omikron likes this.
  12. Beachedboy

Beachedboy Forum Resident

I like old wave, someone a few posts mentioned there's no novelty tracks, nothing silly or self mocking. It's a pretty cool little album

omikron likes this.
  13. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

I'm still on Stop and Smell the Roses, so here it goes. This album seems like a conscious step up from the last two. He's looking for a hit by having Paul, George, and Nilsson writing and producing for him. But the Nilsson tracks on side 1 don't do much for me. "Drumming is My Madness" is an OK novelty track and the title track is kind of just.. well, stupid, though the "stop and buy this album" part makes me laugh out loud. "Private Property" is a good opener, but "Attention" is my standout for side 1. I can never recall how "Wrack My Brain" goes after listening to the album, but I know when it's on I don't dislike it. :) Side 2 is a more mixed bag with the Carl Perkins song, the Boogaloo remake, and the too-long and nonsensical "Dead Giveaway." "You Belong to Me" and "You've Got a Nice Way" are good tracks, though. Overall the album is better than the previous two. It sounds better and you get the sense that Ringo is more engaged.

14. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Unreleased 1987 Chips Moman-produced Memphis sessions
    Ringo sued to prevent their release, arguing that they would damage his reputation as he was an alcoholic at the time. These sessions featured Ringo only as a vocalist.

I found 3 of the tunes up on YT:

I've Changed My Mind
    Innocuous 12/8 medium tempo tune - son of Oh Darling or Fats Domino. Nothing to be embarrassed about, but no great shakes. Ringo's talk/singing is fine.

I Can Help
    A slightly more uptempo 12/8 piano based tune. Some nice but basic guitar fills. This one is a bit catchier. I Prefer it to the Billy Swan original version as the piano sounds better than the cheesy organ. Elvis did a version that is way better than either (better singing and better arrangement with nice harmonized guitar solo) and makes it sound like a pretty good song.

Wish I Knew Now (What I Knew Then)
    This duet with Dylan is a nice ballad looking back on 60s. Nice piano and slide guitar. By far the best of the 3 tracks so far and it would be nice to see this released one day.

Apparently there are bootlegs which also include the following tracks from these sessions, but I have not heard them. If anyone has them, please upload to YT so we all can check them out:
    You Better Move On
    Hard Times

There are are also reports that the following songs were worked on, though as far as I know no recordings have surfaced:

Some Kind of Wonderful
    Beat Patrol
    Ain't That a Shame
    Whiskey and Soda
    Shoo-Be-Doo-Be-Doo-Da-Day
    I Can See Clearly Now

Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
  15. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

Another of my anecdotal Ringo moments, but one that I find interesting: In the early 80s one of my friends told me that his favorite Ringo song was "I Can Help". "No such Ringo song" said I, long before the Internet. He said, "Come on, I just heard it on the radio this afternoon". Yes, he'd convinced himself that Billy Swan's version was Ringo. Needless to say we weren't shocked to learn Ringo later covered it.

16. rswitzer

rswitzer Forum Resident

I can remember when the most recent solo albums were:

Ringo - Old Wave
    George - Gone Troppo
    Paul - Pipes of Peace
    John - Milk & Honey

...and you couldn’t easily just cherry pick the best tunes and make a playlist of just those.

The outlook was bleak. Such a relief when Cloud Nine & Time Takes Time came along.

Ludger, BZync, lavalamp3 and 4 others like this.
  17. Ringo Hendrix

Ringo Hendrix Resident Pest

Not a “Flowers In The Dirt” fan?

18. omikron

Thanks @Rfreeman for bringing this up. I was not aware of this at all until you mentioned it the other day.

I listened to these this morning (can't post links since they aren't official):

I've Changed My Mind: I agree with your assessment. This would have been a solid 2nd-tier song on any Ringo album and his singing is good.

I Can Help: Agree again, and like above, this would be a solid album track. I like the gently rambling piano work.

Wish I Knew Now (What I Knew Then): Slightly reminded me of "Gave It All Up" on Ringo the 4th. This recording actually seemed a bit flat to me. Perhaps it was more on an early runthrough.

I note that the army of background singers are back. They're are reminiscent of the Ringo album but a bit more subdued. It doesn't take away from the songs.

While I wouldn't expect Ringo to release all these tracks given his sobriety, it would be nice to somehow get a few of these tracks at least. The little bit I heard puts it on par with at least Bad Boy or Old Wave in the quality and sound department (which I'm good with!). If he ever does any reissue campaign (and at his age, that is not likely) these would make for some nice bonus cuts. Perhaps Zak will take up that project one day.

And here is a fully quoted synopsis of the sessions from this website link: Reference Library - The Lost Ringo Album - Internet Beatles Album

Reference Library: The Lost Ringo Album

Newsgroups: rec.music.beatles
    Subject: The History of The 'Lost' Ringo Starr Album
    Date: 1 May 1996 05:35:51 GMT

The idea for this album came during a visit to the Bahamas in December 1986, when Ringo bumped into producer/guitarist 'Chips' Moman. Enthusiastically, they talked of recording at least three albums, with Ringo's input much the same as it had been for 'Beaucoup Of Blues' - he would sing to prerecorded 'backing tracks'.
    Recording began at Moman's Three Alarm Studios in Memphis in February 1987. News of the sessions leaked out, with the 'Memphis Commercial Appeal' announcing that the "aging Beatle is yesterday's news". Starr threatened to shift recording to Los Angeles, but this was avoided when Moman organized a picket of the newspaper, prompting the city council to rush through a resolution honoring Starr.
    Because "it might be a historic moment", Ringo insisted the sessions were video-taped, especially the ones where Eric Clapton, Dave Edmunds, Carl Perkins and reputedly Bob Dylan attended. Fourteen songs were recorded in total, of which 'I Can Help', 'Some Kind Of Wonderful', 'Beat Patrol', 'Ain't That A Shame' and 'Shoo-Be-Doo-Be-Doo-Da-Day' and 'Whisky And Soda' have been confirmed as titles. Two Perkins numbers may also have been recorded. Sessions went through until late April.
    But why was this album never released? In part, after only one album, Ringo had had enough of Moman, and ceased communication with him upon his return to England. But more to the point, as Ringo himself acknowledged, on "certain nights, we were all under the influence of wine, tequila or whatever lese we felt like drinking". As a result of Ringo's drinking problem, the album's scheduled July 1989 US release on CBS Records was cancelled.
    Subsequently, Moman, who bankrolled the sessions ($150 per hour studio time), decided to release the album to coincide with Ringo's successful Summer '89 'All Starr' US tour. Ringo tried to block its release. From the evidence heard in court, it appears that while Ringo did consider releasing the album to capitalise on the tour, he had ended up opposing its release for a number of reasons. Moman had apparently refused to allow Ringo to overdub drums onto the recordings "to get more of my personality on it". Further, having conquered his drinking problem by 1990, Ringo felt less than happy releasing a song called 'Whisky And Soda'. Accepting Starr's argument that the album wasn't up to scratch because of his then drink dependency, the Atlanta court granted Starr an injunction in November '89, blocking its immediate release by Moman's own CRS Records.
    Further, in January '90, Moman was required surrender the master tapes, in exchange for which Starr was to pay him $74,354 in recording expenses - less than half the total recording expenses, which totalled a massive $162,000.
    It is unlikely that this album will ever be released. Further, to date, it appears that no audio or video outtakes from these sessions have made their way into the hands of bootleggers.
    Based upon Alan Clayson, 'Ringo Starr - Straight Man Or Joker?' (1991), pp.245-267, and Roy Carr et.al., "The Great Lost Albums Part 2", in Vox, (Nov.1990), p.34

Malcolm Atkinson of New Zealand ([email protected])

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
    theMess, Tord and Rfreeman like this.
  19. omikron

Before RingoHendrix posts our next album (All Star Band) in a few days, I did want to take this time to share the wealth of TV commercials Ringo did. The bulk of which were in the 80s. I don't know who Ringo's agent was (or still is) but these commercials are an interesting collection of curios now. They also seem like a transparent attempt to keep Ringo "out there" during the long, dark hiatus of released material from Old Wave to the All Star Band release.

I'm sure I missed some (there is a Sketchers one from much more recent times). I think pony-tail Ringo was around the All Star time(?)

Pizza Hut:

Oldsmobile (get a bit of singing at the end of this one!):
    Oldsmobile’s Cutlass Supreme Ringo Starr Commercial 1989

Sun Country Classic Wine Coolers series:
    Ringo Starr 1987 Sun Country Classic Wine Coolers Commercial
    1987 - Ringo Starr for Sun Country Classic Wine Coolers
    ringo starr suncountry classic wine cooler commercial

And the obligatorily weird and hilarious Japanese TV commercials. We get some singing and original songs in a couple of these!!!!!:
    Ringo Starr APPLE JUICE
    1980s Ringo Starr Japanese commercial
    Ringo Starr in Japanese TV commercials 2
    Ringo Starr in Japanese TV commercials 1
    [CM] Ringo Starr リンゴ・スター タカラ すりおろしりんご (1996)
    Ringo Starr Japanese Commercial Simple Life #1
    Ringo Starr Japanese commercial Simple Life #3
    Ringo Starr Japanese Commercial Simple Life #2

20. rswitzer

rswitzer Forum Resident

I think David Fishof was responsible for getting The Monkees & Ringo together for that Pizza Hut commercial since he produced their tours around that time.

Guy Smiley, theMess and omikron like this.
  21. rswitzer

rswitzer Forum Resident

I don't want this to turn into another Macca thread, but I just thought long layoff combined with the improvement in quality made George & Ringo's late 80's lps really stand out.

Ringo Hendrix and omikron like this.
  22. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

That was a photograph of the first time Ringo listened to the finished album... :hide:

pantofis, rswitzer and omikron like this.
  23. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

I vaguely recall seeing the Pizza Hut one.

The Oldsmobile ad, I never saw. Nice play on "not your Dad's Oldsmobile"..

Sun Country I also vaguely remember seeing... he's no Frank & Ed, though. And as a recovering alcoholic, I imagine he would like to erase those in favor of Seagrams and/or Japanese apple juice [neither of which I'd ever seen either...]

The Simple Life ones are so weird and weirdly entertaining. The first is definitely a reference to Goodnight Vienna. But after having watched all three... I still have no idea what they are selling.... some kind of clothing, I guess...?

:cool::shrug::nyah::wtf::righton::kilroy::-popcorn:

omikron likes this.
  24. rswitzer

rswitzer Forum Resident

Merchbar's return policy: "No vinyl returns. All vinyl sales are final." Hopefully, we own the only 2 of these in existence!

25. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

Not sure how I missed this thread LPs and CDs.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]