Forum members that only buy CDs, no Vinyl at all?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stenway, Aug 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stenway

stenway Forum Resident Thread Starter

Just curious there's Forum members, audiophiles, collectors... that only buy CDs here? no vinyl at all or any other format.

modela, Micah, George P and 15 others like this.
  2. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

I have not bought a vinyl record in well over 29 years.
    However, I have 40 boxes of vinyl that I started buying in the 1960's.

I've just become more comfortable buying cds.

(Wait, I lied, I just bought a vinyl copy of the Blue Project that was released in 1972. I just couldn't find a copy of a cd.)

Tim 2, Ted Mooney, Davmoco and 16 others like this.
  3. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA

Well I'm certainly digital only. CD's make up the majority, with some downloads (live shows mostly)

4. arthurprecarious

arthurprecarious Forum Resident

Haven’t bought vinyl since 1987.

modela, belardd, Tim 2 and 26 others like this.
  5. 3coloursbeige

3coloursbeige Forum Resident

I'm a CDs-only guy. And it's great! I can finally buy all those albums I couldn't afford when I was young!

modela, Remy, Tim 2 and 31 others like this.
  6. aficionaudio

aficionaudio Forum Resident

I'm one of them. Digital gives consistent playback. Vinyl requires semi-regular upkeep/cleaning, or expensive equipment to get the most accurate sound. I'm sorry, but my time and money are better spent elsewhere. :crazy:

modela, live evil, Tim 2 and 48 others like this.
  7. Babysquid

Babysquid Forum Resident

I’d imagine there are plenty here just as there are possibly plenty like myself who only buy vinyl or those that only download or stream. As long as you’re enjoying the music it’s all good.

BradB, Jrr, Beatnik_Daddyo'73 and 8 others like this.
  8. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

I have boxes of Vinyl from back in the day (I'm old enough that I pre-date CD). I only play and buy CD now though.

As Babysquid said, as long as people are music lovers, it's all good.

Also - not to get too crotchety - when you've lived as long as I have you'll have seen these things change more than once. I recall the switch from Vinyl to CD very well. They encouraged people to switch by putting bonus tracks on CD, telling us the sound quality was better, and selling it as high-tech. In the process they re-sold tons of back catalog as people replaced the Vinyl copies.

Fast forward to now and there are Vinyl only releases, we're told Vinyl sounds better, and there's a mythology built around the ceremony of putting a needle in a groove. In the process they're hoping to resell people tons of back catalog as people replace their CD's and downloads.

As Aerosmith wrote - it's the Same Old Song and Dance. What hasn't change, and won't change, is the pleasure of being around people who love music, in whatever form it comes.

9. bvb1123

bvb1123 Rock and Roll Martian

I only own CDs. I don't have the time or patience to deal with all the issues with vinyl, both new and used. Rarely do I ever have an issue with any CD and, as an added bonus, most of them are cheap af nowadays.

modela, Tim 2, Ted Mooney and 39 others like this.
  10. Jimmy Agates

Jimmy Agates CRAZY DOCTOR

Cds for me....unless vinyl is included in a box set configuration I haven't gone near it since the mid/late 80's

belardd, Tim 2, Ted Mooney and 10 others like this.
  11. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

This applies to me. I still have a lot of vinyl from my youth, but haven’t bought anything new on the format since 1985.

modela, Tim 2, Jarleboy and 9 others like this.
  12. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

Haven’t owned a turntable since 1985. I did buy a few Springsteen and Neil Young albums on vinyl, out of habit into the ‘90s - which I sold here in recent years- but it’s been CDs ever since.

They’re not perfect- no format is- but they’re decent enough, convenient, reasonably- priced of late and easier to store and move than vinyl.

I appreciate exceptional sound when I hear it, but I’ve never been an audiophile.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
  13. eric777

eric777 Astral Projectionist

For about 20 years or so, I was CD only. I got into vinyl sometime around 2011 and then quit a few years later. Now with CDs becoming harder for me to get, I am buying more lossless downloads then anything else and I am hopelessly becoming addicted to the convenience it offers.

Tim 2, SteveM, timind and 1 other person like this.
  14. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

CD and downloads here too. I can't remember the last time I bought any vinyl.

Larry Mc and PhoffiFozz like this.
  15. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

The “ vinyl-only” release trend is very annoying- and cynical.
    The profit margin is much greater on vinyl- that’s the only reason they do it.
    Printing up a few CDs when the demand is there wouldn’t cost them much.
    But they wouldn’t make much either.

16. richierichie

richierichie My glass is always full.

1962-1985:LPs only.

1985: Fell for the CD hype and started to buy over 50% CD the rest LP.

1990: Really fell for the CD hype. Started to get rid of my LPs by giving them away. Too much hassle selling them for pennies. My LP collection went from over 1,200 down to 120. I bought only CDs until...

2005: I never got rid of my turntable, thank the cosmos, an LP was released vinyl only format in 2005 and I wanted it. Sorry I can`t remember which album it was for certain. I bought the LP and I was literally moved with my new aquisition, not by the music, by the fact I had bought an LP once again!

2005-Today: I now buy both CDs & LPs, my LP collection has now grown past it`s former size. I now have around 2,000+ but I continue to buy CDs often buying both formats for the same release. There is a reason for that. I`m happy with both formats, I probably play my LPs more than my CDs but that depends where I am in the house. What the future holds for both formats? Who knows? Enjoy the music, that`s why we come on here? Isn`t it?

17. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

It’s interesting that when CD was launched, one of its selling points was that it was the only format that could truly reproduce the ‘full’ sound of the music the way it was recorded in the studio. With vinyl and cassettes there were compromises. Now, people want their CDs to sound like records. No one cares about the ‘way the music was supposed to sound’ anymore.:)

Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
  18. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Also bad are the SDE's that combine both CD and Vinyl, hiking the price for all in the process.

For example, The Ramones have an ongoing reissue program going on. The sets combine a slab of Vinyl with 3 CD's. The price for the sets, depending on your currency, is $40 or so each. That's pretty high for the 3-CD's I want. I did manage to get most of the sets secondhand, but I shouldn't have had to. This has been exacerbated by the upcoming It's Alive set. That requires two slabs of Vinyl, so they've hiked the price by $30! Meaning, to complete the set I need to pay $30 extra for another lump of Vinyl I'll never play.

And no, selling the Vinyl on isn't an option. 1) The entire box is the cover for the album, so if you sell on the Vinyl you essentially have to give away the box with it; 2) I hate incomplete sets.

belardd, ARK, JoeF. and 2 others like this.
  19. arthurprecarious

arthurprecarious Forum Resident

Neil Young has been ranting about THAT for years and he’s just written a book about it!

Man at C&A likes this.
  20. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Sadly, a lot of CDs have moved away from that with bad mastering. It's a shame as I love CD as a format, but do prefer vinyl overall. That's as much to do with the look of it as anything else. The CDs I've got from the mid 80s - early 90s almost all sound excellent.

I totally agree with everyone here who likes that CD almost never has any faults, surface noise etc. I also like that they can be bought online with cheap postage and not worrying that they will be damaged in the post. Loads of CDs I own have cost less than just the postage for vinyl! I really don't want to see a situation where the only options are expensive vinyl that's not guaranteed to play perfectly, or downloads / streaming, which I haven't taken too at all.

21. Mr-Beagle

Mr-Beagle Ah, but the song carries on, so holy

Yes, that's me! The only downsides of buying CDs for me are smaller artwork and loudness.

22. Exitmusic

Exitmusic Forum Resident

I only buy CDs

23. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

CDs were my introduction to music

bluesky, fairies and xybert like this.
  24. craig4755

craig4755 Forum Resident

Old ears, old music, old CDs. Oh though I might buy an LP if I come across it cheap, the convenience and price of CDs is in only way to go for me.

modela and kanakaris like this.
  25. HastingsBoy

HastingsBoy Forum Resident

CDs only, I don't have a turntable. Whilst the resurgence of vinyl is welcome, I kinda feel like the poor relative these days as shops like HMV are now devoting most of their space to vinyl. My main source for CDs is Amazon, particularly as they can be had relatively cheap. CDs really seem out of favour and I wonder if they will ever be popular again. I love em, particularly Box Sets!

BradB, Ted Mooney, Larry Mc and 8 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.