Abbey Road 50th contents, outtakes and sound quality thread .. only

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by audiotom, Aug 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Forum Resident

I thought about that, but no one has it!

(*I did at one time, and yeah I'm sure some here do :) )

Jimmy Cooper likes this.
  2. Contact Lost

Contact Lost Forum Resident

Is this Opus or AAC originally? I heard that YT is using AAC (well, not really important but still). I extracted the YT Something with free downloader and got 128 kbps AAC file with dynamic range value of 8.4 for what it's worth :). Again, perhaps I'm not doing it 100% correctly.
    My initial impression based on this compressed audio is that the 2019 mix sounds like an improvement of the 1+ version. Not sure yet if I like louder vocals in the beginning though. The original 2009 stereo has this pleasant calm feeling in it, vocals are not so up front and perhaps this is how George wanted it. As already mentioned, hopefully there is an unlimited version of every song on the Blu Ray.

PS. These bits from Oh Darling and Come Together do sound exciting. LOL, who wanted drums centered? There you go!

Bevok likes this.
  3. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

No.

Paul McCartney made the demo playing everything with Lennon present in the control room.

4. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

I’m following

5. Jimmy Cooper

Jimmy Cooper Forum Resident

Me, for example... ;)

Shaddam IV likes this.
  6. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Paul, Linda, and one of the Appaloosa Scruffs ... ;)

7. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Photos taken, London Town.

8. bherbert

bherbert Forum Resident

I’m hearing centered drums. Am I dreaming?

9. bherbert

bherbert Forum Resident

Come Together

10. Royce

Royce Senior Member

You're welcome, have a great weekend! :)

Dave Gilmour's Cat likes this.
  11. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

It depends. Some remixes take the approach of honoring the original's stereo layout and are done with the purpose of making it clearer. If you listen to Steven Wilson's Jethro Tull mixes, some of them barely move anything in the stereo image, there are a few variations in levels, but the texture and clarity are greatly improved.

Also, George Martin's 1987 Help! remix didn't change almost anything in stereo image, he just thought the original sounded "wooly" and wanted to go back to the multis to get cleaner sound (he also added that controversial reverb, but that's another issue).

With Abbey Road and Let It Be (even the White Album to a certain extent), I feel the stereo remixes are unnecessary. The originals are well balanced stereo mixes already, and there was no mono anymore, so the artistic intent of The Beatles and George Martin are there. So I wouldn't mind if Giles took the approach of respecting the original mix and going just for improved clarity (maybe changing a couple of things like centering the vocals in HCTS, although they never bothered me). From the snippets we've heard in the trailer, it seems that's not his approach, so we'll see, but we'll always have the originals so I'm not worried about that. The 5.1 is my main concern now.

With the albums released before 1968, though, I think new stereos are fair game. The Beatles and Martin focused on mono, and the stereos were paid little time and care, being very much limited by the time's technology. Remix the h*** out of those, the original works by The Beatles are the monos, and we need good stereo mixes of those albums.

Greyrat, Ephi82, Dan The Man1 and 7 others like this.
  12. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Forum Resident

See my previous comment re: Come Together above. There are two snippets. From both we can infer that the toms and hi-hat are right, snare and crash are center. Because Ringo plays each combination only, in different parts of the song, and the snippets are of different parts of the song, we can piece together the bigger picture.

So I am here to tell you that you are probably getting 1/2 of what you wanted! You can either see the glass as half empty, or half full lol :).

In my previous comment, I talk about why I think this is the best possible solution.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
    bherbert likes this.
  13. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident

It must have been very uncomfortable for Linda to sit down (or lay down) on the hot asphalt to take that picture, especially as it happened less than 3 weeks before she had a baby.

Ken Wood likes this.
  14. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

One of those outtakes was also "Mark 1" for me the highlight of Anthology 2. Remixed Revolver will be something else - the potential for "Tomorrow Never Knows" is mind boggling

15. DragonQ

DragonQ Forum Resident

YouTube has several formats available. The youtube-dl app will automatically choose the highest quality, which for audio is usually Opus.

16. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Forum Resident

On the extras of Anthology DVD, with the George, Paul, Ringo and G. Martin in studio, it shows there the take 1 of Golden Slumbers, as i remember.

17. Contact Lost

Contact Lost Forum Resident

And the kick is centered at least during that preview LOL
    Soooooo, 60% of glass is full LOL

bherbert and Shaddam IV like this.
  18. Gill-man

Gill-man Forum Resident

I’m sure there are some people who feel that no matter what, the BT CD will always be unbeatable.

19. bherbert

bherbert Forum Resident

Because of how it sounds or the arm & leg price they paid?

20. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

Less time was spent on the stereo mixes because they required less time. It's been explained already that it made sense to do the mono's first, and get the sounds and whatever they wanted.. then after that, get their panning on. Really sick of fans hating on the 60s stereo mixes which are mostly quite darn good. The Beatles stereo mixes are better than most any bands stereo mixes that decade. They don't need to be constantly put down in order to raise the mono's up.

supermd, Bevok, Ephi82 and 5 others like this.
  21. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

Imagine Tomorrow Never Knows in 5.1!

[​IMG]

22. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

I haven't posted anything yet on this thread, so of course Im following. Count me in here:righton:

Jimmy Cooper likes this.
  23. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

I said the "ability" to change and refine, not that each and every remix SHOULD change things. Even the Tull remixes by Wilson change the original mixes. Not necessarily stereo placement, but making individual elements within the mix clearer and more detailed. Perhaps the original mix was suppose to sound dense and "busy", but the Tull remixes generally sound a bit lighter and much more detailed. The original recordings themselves tend to be a bit more modern in approach, even though the earlier ones were contemporary releases with the Beatles later albums. Vocals aren't typically off to one side... all that sort of stuff. George Martin really didn't care all that much about such things.

Martin's 1987 remixes are about as basic/limited as any remixes I can think of. He barely changed a thing... other than adding modern reverb (as you said) on some tracks, boosting the hi end and making backing vocals a little more defined. His is more like a remaster, but with subtle tweaking from the multi's, not the master. He never went to the pre-bounced tapes where they existed either. Ron

24. Gill-man

Gill-man Forum Resident

Both. Some I’m sure already have in their minds that it’s always going to be best, no matter how great any new release sounds.

bherbert likes this.
  25. DragonQ

DragonQ Forum Resident

There's a snippet in these two videos but they sound the same to me. Where's the other one?

THE BEATLES REVISIT ABBEY ROAD WITH SPECIAL ANNIVERSARY RELEASES

EDIT: Never mind, I found it here:

#AbbeyRoad

Kinda weird that they've gone with no/minimal noise reduction when the Love mix has a lot of it.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
    milankey and vonwegen like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.