Abbey Road 50th contents, outtakes and sound quality thread .. only

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by audiotom, Aug 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

I wouldn't say I "hate" the 60s stereo mixes. I prefer some of them to their mono counterparts (BFS, Help!, MMT, White Album). AHDN is good in stereo too, and most of Revolver.
    But what I've said is true, and people who worked on those albums have admitted so. When The Beatles started to attend mixing sessions, they only assisted to mono sessions, with a few exceptions, what does that tell you? Or the fact that George Martin didn't go back to pre-bounced tapes for better stereo mixing, or the fact that he arranged the twin track recordings with the mono mix in mind, preventing a well balanced stereo of those albums to ever exist.

The little care can be seen in blatant mistakes like Eleanor Rigby or If I Fell. Many of those stereo mixes are also unbalanced.

2. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

You’d have thought the other three must have chortled at Paul‘s fashion statement. :)

AFOS likes this.
  3. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Forum Resident

There was an extremely brief teaser with just Come Together, and apologies, my phone data is being throttled at the moment, maybe someone else could link to it?

EDIT: It's the teaser with the camera moving down Abbey Road I think.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
    Ken Wood likes this.
  4. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

Oh, I misunderstood then. We agree.

5. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

The thing I like best about the remix of 'Something' is the far more 'centered' bass, which makes it more a part of the overall sound. I love Macca's bass-line, but it think it was a bit distracting 'living' in the right channel in the original mix....

FJFP, crossroads69, audiotom and 4 others like this.
  6. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

So refreshing not to have to read about Bull Moose every second post:pleased:

905, marmalade166, Lownote30 and 3 others like this.
  7. Shaddam IV

It was so distracting, on headphones.

8. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

They're not the same - sounds like lower bitrate encoding for the VEVO uploads.

jmrife likes this.
  9. DragonQ

DragonQ Forum Resident

Doubt it, they have the same frequency range.

10. Cookie!

Cookie! Forum Resident

I love that take of "Oh, Darling", where in the middle of it John receives notice of Yoko's divorce becoming finalized - he's so over the moon about this he can't help himself but to join in on vocals. I know because this take is on Anthology 3 it won't be repeated on this set, but perhaps there will be more moments like this waiting within this upcoming batch of outtakes. I know there were on the White Album set.

11. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

Maybe the regular Beatles upload is MQA :D

12. TonyClifton63

TonyClifton63 Forum Resident

I've been listening to a lot of my old Abbey Road boots (not the kind you wear), and the one that has always intrigued me is the outtake titled "A Huge Melody"(Part 1), which as you all well know starts with You Never Give Me Your Money, Sun King, Mean Mr. Mustard, Polythene Pam and She Came In Through The Bathroom Window. My first question is why does it sound so distorted? Because the alternate backing vocals on You Never Give Me you Money are amazing...and is the new outtake of You Never Give Me Your Money, Take 36, going to have the alternate backing vocals? Thanks!

Ken Wood and Lewisboogie like this.
  13. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

+ The unboxing video with snippets of Golden Slumbers, Something, Because, Octopus's Garden, Oh! Darling, Here Comes The Sun and The End.

Ken Wood likes this.
  14. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

I agree, but which remastering? Not the 2009, I would hope...

15. Onder

Onder Senior Member

That "A Huge Melody" medley sounds distorted because it was taken from an acetate that was cut way too hot.

You Never Give Me Your Money take 36 does not feature the backing vocals. It is an outtake and as such features no overdubs. The vocals were overdubbed onto a reduction of the master take which was take 30.
    However, an alternate version of the entire medley is featured in the upcoming set, it's titled "The Long One" and it might feature the alternate mix of You Never Give Me Your Money with the unused backing vocals.

tstrapac, FJFP, shmuckler and 7 others like this.
  16. Shaddam IV

There are two snippets of "Come Together".

17. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

I'm not arguing for or against re-interpretations. I'm just reporting from my perspective that it IS a re-interpretation, and my first reactions to it. Fair, no?

18. bherbert

bherbert Forum Resident

Thanks. You’ve given me hope that the other songs will also have more centered rhythm sections.

vonwegen and Shaddam IV like this.
  19. Lemon Curry

But yet, I have also said the White Album blu ray is the single best product Apple has ever released. Joyous.

I've also, in the past few days, mentioned that Giles' work on Paperback Writer and Rain are definitive versions for me, surpassing the originals.

I've defended his 1+ and White Album work, and derided what he did to Pepper.

You seem to be reading SOME of my posts.

Honestly, this is a thread to discuss content and SQ, no? It's all fair game, and I wish that instead of shooting the guy bringing up points that were carefully considered, you could respond on that level. Tell me why you think I'm off base. Otherwise this is just a fan club.

20. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

Pause the video at :32.

Why do we get naked John & Yoko ass? That pic was taken during 1968.

Gila and planckera like this.
  21. Gill-man

Gill-man Forum Resident

The beauty of the song is in the eye or ear of the beholder.

Who says it was supposed to be a sonic clean up? Remasters are sonic clean ups. Why is it people still can’t grasp the concept of what a remix is?

Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
    FJFP, Shaddam IV and OptimisticGoat like this.
  22. graystoke

graystoke Forum Resident

They must've decided an ass re-mix was required!

23. MikeManaic61

MikeManaic61 Forum Resident

I hope this mix is better than the 2009 version. Bass is way too bloated on some of those songs.

andy75 and audiomixer like this.
  24. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

Yes

Shaddam IV likes this.
  25. Lemon Curry

And who says it isn't? My post doesn't claim which is better, or whether I like it better or not.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.