The Jazz Beat

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Apr 27, 2015.

1. dZp

dZp Forum Resident

Curtis Fuller, Freddie Waits, Sal Nistico, Sam Jones, Walter Bishop Jr. – Fire and Filigree (1978)

[​IMG]

2. Didnt you see my Info about 32 Items available at Discogs?

3. tennesseeborder

tennesseeborder Forum Resident

4. Marzz

Marzz Forum Resident

Grachan Moncur III - Some Other Stuff (1964)
    with Wayne Shorter, Herbie Hancock, Cecil McBee, Tony Williams.

(Blue Note/TOCJ-Japan)
    [​IMG]

Starwanderer, SJR, Cactus Bob and 8 others like this.
  5. Paul Saldana

Paul Saldana jazz vinyl addict

I did and only one vinyl copy was (what I would consider to be) reasonable. I realize this differs from one collector to another. Further, after having been burned a couple times I do not buy vinyl from Italy, France or the Russian republics, as either the records or the money are likely to disappear.

If every record I bought was $60-200 I would have a really tiny collection. But discs under $10 I buy by the truckload. And under $20 I can easily talk myself into the purchase.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2019
  6. dZp

dZp Forum Resident

Arild Andersen, Paolo Vinaccia, Tommy Smith – Mira (2012)

[​IMG]

7. [​IMG]

Sonny Stitt sits in with The Oscar Peterson Trio (Verve) CD

Tracks 1-8 - recorded in France, 1959 with
    Sonny Stitt (alto & tenor sax), Oscar Peterson (piano), Red Brown (double bass), Ed Thigpen (drums)
    &
    Tracks 9-11 - recorded in Hollywood, 1957 with
    Sonny Stitt (alto sax), Oscar Peterson (piano), Herb Ellis (guitar), Red Brown (double bass), Stan Levey (drums)

EU CD edition re-issued via Universal Music Group in cardboard gate-fold sleeve 2018.

I picked this re-issue up just after it was released. It's a solid enough album and those three additional tracks recorded in 1957 that are tagged on at the end of the disc make this edition that little bit more attractive.

8. dZp

dZp Forum Resident

Friday groove!

Donald Byrd, Billy Higgins, Cedar Walton, Sonny Red, Walter Booker – Slow Drag (1967)

[​IMG]

Bobby Buckshot, SJR, Marzz and 5 others like this.
  9. dZp

dZp Forum Resident

Duke Pearson, Freddie Hubbard, James Spaulding, Joe Henderson, Mickey Roker, Ron Carter – Sweet Honey Bee (1966)

[​IMG]

10. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

LP Impulse! Nippon Columbia Japan Gatefold YP-8576-AI) 1976 .... recorded April 27th + June 1st, 1964 @ Van Gelder Studio, Englewood Cliff .... John Coltrane (ts) + McCoy Tyner (p) + Jimmy Garrison (b) + Elvin Jones (dr) .... some Coltrane was requiered and and this beauty was not a tough choice .... belongs to this group`s finest hours on wax ....

11. The Fresh Sound CD has 16 tracks??

12. Cactus Bob

Cactus Bob << Desert Rat >>

Jaco Pastorius, Pat Metheny, Bruce Ditmas, Paul Bley
    Improvising Artists, Inc. 1976

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. jbg

jbg Senior Member

14. Big Band Time

A Fresh Sound Records Reissue from 1987 - Roulette SR 52114 Johnny Richards " My Fair Lady My Way"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bobby Buckshot likes this.
  15. Marzz

Marzz Forum Resident

Sal Nistico - Heavyweights (1962)
    with Nat Adderley, Barry Harris, Sam Jones, Walter Perkins.

(Jazzland/Fantasy)
    [​IMG]

16. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Marzz, Bobby Buckshot, xybert and 3 others like this.
  17. cds23

cds23 Accidentally slowing the forum down with huge pics

JOHNNY HODGES / EVERYBODY KNOWS JOHNNY HODGES / IMPULSE / 1965 / FIRST US MONO PRESSING A-61 LP

[​IMG] #
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. Listening to both discs back to back (again!)

[​IMG]

Wes Montgomery In The Beginning (Resonance) 2CD (Early recordings from 1949-1958)

One of a number of previously unreleased sessions unearthed by Resonance and issued in the last year or so.

All the music here was also issued on a triple LP (sleeved as Volumes 1-3).

The sessions on CD 1 were recorded live in 1956 at the Turf Club except for 1 track that was recorded at the home of Ervena Montgomery.

[​IMG]

CD 2 is probably the more noteworthy of the two discs. I love the opening three lengthy live tracks. They were recorded at the Missile Lounge in 1958. Although the audience are more audible at times than on the Turf Club recording I think this actually enhances the atmosphere all the more. The next five tracks were produced by Quincy Jones and recorded at Columbia Studios in 1955. I don't know why these recordings were not issued at the time although I believe one was issued on an Epic various artists LP. Next up is a 12 minute plus track recorded live in 1957 at the C&C Music Lounge and it has a similar vibe to the Missile Lounge recording. The disc concludes with three very rare RnB style numbers that were recorded in 1949 for Spire Records and credited to
    Gene Morris and his Hamptones.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. I'm a Montgomery fan too. My vinyls have different covers.
    Can recommend the PACIFIC JAZZ Record editions too.
    W.

20. cds23

cds23 Accidentally slowing the forum down with huge pics

PAUL BLEY / BARRAGE / ESP / 1964 / FIRST US STEREO PRESSING ESP-DISK 1008 LP

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

21. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

22. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

(LP Prestige French Press Gatefold Cover P-24091) 1979 .... recorded December 1963 and October 1964 .... Side 1 and Side 2 B1 & B3 originally issued as "The Freedom Book" (Prestige 7295); Side 3 and Side 4 D1 & D3 as "The Space Book" (Prestige 7386). "Stella By Starlight" and "The Second #2" originally appeared on "Groovin' High" (Prestige 7417) .... Booker Ervin (ts) + Jackie Byard (p) + Richard Davis (b) + Alan Dawson (dr) .... another one of these collectible Prestige "twofers" assembling the material from both arguably best Booker Ervin sessions for Prestige - nuff said .... noticeable french Prestige press from the late 70`s with excellent sound ....

Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
  23. dZp

dZp Forum Resident

Chick Corea, Miroslav Vitous, Roy Haynes – Now He Sings, Now He Sobs (1968)

[​IMG]

24. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

25. A new discovery on vinyl missing in my series from Newport '57 - limited edition & replica Item - A 2014 edition
    Have to admit that I'm only interested in side B
    "The Gigi Gryce-Donald Byrd Jazz Laboratory"
    featuring

Gigi Gryce (as) / Donald Byrd (tp) / Hank Jones (p) / Wendell Marshall (b) / Osie Johnson (dr)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]