Abbey Road 50th contents, outtakes and sound quality thread .. only

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by audiotom, Aug 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mister President

Mister President Forum Resident

I know John probably couldn't be bothered but I still wish he'd put some backing vocals on Something like Paul did.

I like the remaster/remix though...whatever it is!

JFSebastion likes this.
  2. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Forum Resident

It's all there in my comment. You list a long series of grievances, or "cheap thrills", all of which are Standard Giles Operating Procedure by now. I'm saying I find it kind of entertaining. Especially the part where, after dissecting it to shreds, you say "I really don't know if I like it or not yet". I mean, I think that's funny. "I hate it" would have made much more sense as a concluding statement :)

Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
    marmalade166 and violetvinyl like this.
  3. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

I don't agree on the bass being 'too defined'; I always found I payed the busy/brilliant bass-line distracting because it seemed to have his own space in the right speaker. Now it's more central, being part of the overall sound.

4. HiResGeek

HiResGeek Seer of visions

I don’t know if this belongs here, but I think it fits here better than in the shipping thread. Do we know yet how many CDs, LPs or Blu Rays will be included? I assume the deluxe set will be similar to the Sgt Pepper and White Album releases in that it will include some type of hi res remix along with all of the extras.

5. Gill-man

Gill-man Forum Resident

Not this again...

spindly, Gila and Lewisboogie like this.
  6. hidlive

hidlive made you look

Interesting, I thought it was quieter than the original mix!

Shaddam IV likes this.
  7. Bern

Bern JC4Me

HiResGeek likes this.
  8. Crosseyed

Crosseyed help I'm a rock

Haha, no I will definitely be buying it! But how George's guitar is mixed in the new version causes me concern. Abbey Road is ingrained in my dna and at first blush, the remix for Something rubbed me the wrong way but hope springs eternal.

Dan The Man1, DML71 and wim1958 like this.
  9. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

The echo bit IS a cheap thrill.

You say "dissecting it to threads", but there they are. I think the bass is too loud, and there is a loss of integration. But I also say youtube compression could be playing a role. But it's also fair that I may develop a preference for these things.

But, whatever. You've clearly misrepresented my statements about Giles in the past, so I can't argue with a phantom :)

As always, I'll keep an open mind going forward.

10. Shaddam IV

Well, some songs lol. Based on the snippets, there are clearly some off-center drums. So be prepared!

The thing I like about Giles is, when he does place the drums off-center, it's done in a way that doesn't bother me (like the original does), on the headphones.

Obviously this is because his panning isn't as extreme. But there are other reasons as well, that take into account the overall feel and mix. For instance, I find that I just about always agree with him about whether the drums are driving the song. Take "Helter Skelter". I just don't think what Ringo is doing there needs to be the focal point of the mix.

Isaac Azimuth and bherbert like this.
  11. Shaddam IV

I don't think I have, but if it's clear to you, and you'd care to provide an example, I'll be happy to address it :)

12. Gill-man

Gill-man Forum Resident

That’s like saying from my perspective it is a remix. Of course it is! My first reaction isn’t going to be “oh it’s a remix!”. A remix is a reinterpretation.

13. Beatlebug

Beatlebug Another box set won't do any harm

Yes. I referred to this in the previous thread, where someone said it was taken by McMillain. I believe its actually by Linda.

14. Shaddam IV

This is an interesting point, because the overall frequency range of the bass is different on the different mixes. So it's going to depend on your equipment.

hidlive likes this.
  15. planckera

planckera I Hate Hate

Hmm. I could see myself using an image like that as a funny “placeholder” while doing the book layout. Maybe they forgot to update it before the video was made. Not much of a theory, but it’s the only assumption I have. :nyah:

jmxw likes this.
  16. 007james

007james Forum Resident

Anyone know when this will be available for pre-order?

Nevermind......

17. TonyClifton63

TonyClifton63 Forum Resident

Thanks for information Onder. I really appreciate it! Regarding the acetate, now it makes total sense.

18. Lemon Curry

This is silly stuff, Shaddam. But for the record, again:

1. I have called the White Album blu ray the best product Apple ever released. I love Giles' work here, especially Helter Skelter and Yer Blues. I have issues with Guitar Gently Weeps, but I'm hardly alone on that one.

2. I've been very positive about his 1+ work, often against the grain of opinion here.

3. I actually don't remember what I wrote about Hollywood Bowl. I am a demixing critic, though, because I think it's still too immature. I do like listening to the original LP more than the new one, when I'm in the mood. And the boot of the full '64 show is better still :)

4. I hated Pepper. With a passion. Mr Kite at DR6? The fact that the blu ray has the same mastering as the CD. I only listen to the vinyl of this one. And yet I loved the mixes of Strawberry Fields and Penny Lane on the RSD 45 single. I don't understand what went wrong here.

You said I've been on Giles' case for 3 years, and that's just not true. I am wary of the remixing in general, regardless of who does it. I have high expectations.

I'm stunned, for instance, that the AR blu ray doesn't have the original mix in glorious 96/24 resolution. They seemed to have learned it was important on the WA box, but now it's been unlearned. In my opinion.

So look, Peace brother. We'rs both here because we have an unusual passion for the music. I'll keep an open mind, as always.

19. Calico

Calico Senior Member

I found the inclusion of this short sequence very disgraceful for Cynthia Lennon...

20. Gill-man

Gill-man Forum Resident

What’s wrong is you’re judging it with your eyes rather than your ears. You pointed out its DR value but not how it sounds. You liked the White album Blu-Ray for essentially the same reason. Nothing to with the mix.

Beatle Ed likes this.
  21. Shaddam IV

The WA remix is end-to-end riddled with the things you complain about and dislike in your original comment about the lastest remix, which are, as I say, Standard Giles Operating Procedure. So, I maintain, I find the complaints "entertaining".

mark winstanley likes this.
  22. Lemon Curry

I am focused on DR, but cause and effect are the other way 'round. I put on that blu ray and it was joyous. The mix AND the depth. They go together.

But it is fair that I use DR as short hand sometimes in discussion.

23. gottafeelin

gottafeelin Forum Resident

So I guess we've moved over here now.

24. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

When the White Album Deluxe box was first listed, it stayed at list price on Amazon for about 2 weeks. Then, it dropped about $50 bucks to around $120 or so.

Does anyone remember this happening? Or am I confusing it with some other album?

25. Haggischomper

Haggischomper Scottish AF

Main thread was about what to expect. Now we know what to expect so I presume that's why it was closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.