Bob Dylan - Blood on the Tracks (Mofi Ultradisc One-Step 45rpm 2LP vinyl)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DotKom11, May 15, 2019.

1. Sedwards

Sedwards Senior Member

Just received 294/9000 at my doors. Unfortunately heading out for a few hours but will be playing this later today!

Xander2017 likes this.
  2. SCOTT1234

SCOTT1234 Senior Member

I voted no. Obviously I would like a copy, but sadly can't afford it. The mofi marketing blurb is a bit OTT isn't it?

tubesandvinyl likes this.
  3. Vinylfindco

Vinylfindco The Pressing Matters

Somebody please play and report!

bajaed likes this.
  4. John D.

John D. Senior Member

You might have got the last one. Music Direct is out of stock w/ 4-6 week wait.

Juggsnelson likes this.
  5. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

Just a wee bit! But hey, this is flagship issue so who can blame them.

Shame they don't support third party sellers when it comes to returns as that would have been a cheaper way for you to go, Amazon etc.

CBackley likes this.
  6. Vinylfindco

Vinylfindco The Pressing Matters

I won't be able to listen til the 18th, even though my set is going to arrive a few days earlier. I'm on vacation. Nice thing to return to!

maui jim likes this.
  7. willmatic

willmatic Forum Resident

My equipment is all up to date on the profile page.

Number 708

I am only speaking in generalities, someone on here, much more articulate than myself can really breakdown the intricacies of the one step.

I own about four different pressings of this album including the standard mofi and of course this one.

The one step is probably the best you will ever hear this album. With that said, if you have the standard mofi, I’m not sure I would take the leap.

Did the one step WOW me? No... but expectations are relative. Did it sound great? Absolutely...Did I think without a true back to back comparison, the one step sounded better or significantly better than the standard mofi, I did not experience a noticeable articulable difference.

The packaging and presentation is incredible. Is it worth 125, I think that’s relative also. I love the album, so I am happy...could I live without the one step, owning the standard mofi? Absolutely.

sonofjim, Dmann201, PATB and 11 others like this.
  8. Gordon Johnson

Thanks, could you update your thinking on this listening experience against those other records in a few weeks, couple of months?

9. willmatic

willmatic Forum Resident

Absolutely

Gordon Johnson likes this.
  10. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Thank you.

willmatic likes this.
  11. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Do you have any other one-steps ?

Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
  12. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

#419 arrived today. It’s a beautiful presentation. However, similar to what I’ve read about other One-Step releases, the discs are a little dirty looking and the inner sleeves/jackets housing each separate disc are pretty scuffed up.

Juggsnelson likes this.
  13. Gordon Johnson

Not listening to the customer again?
    Simple fix, IF THEY CARED!

CBackley likes this.
  14. willmatic

willmatic Forum Resident

I do not. Potentially, having/listening to another would have provided a better reference point in my first listen evaluation.

alexpop likes this.
  15. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

One -Step Wow”
    Maybe S&G’ Bridge Over Troubled Water better production would have had the “wow factor’,in comparison.

16. Sedwards

Sedwards Senior Member

I've just listened to the first record in this set and onto the second as I offer my impressions:

First, my only vinyl comparison is a mint US first edition. I do not have the mofi 33. And my only other one-step to date is the Hendrix Axis, both mono and stereo. Other than the Santana, which I missed and refuse to spend the kind of money resellers are asking, none of the other titles grabbed my attention. And to be clear, I'm not a huge Dylan fan, though do have a soft spot for this album.

I remember being FLOORED when I dropped the needle on the stereo Axis. (It still has me salivating over the upcoming Fragile release!!) But, even with my only other pressing being a regular US pressing I'd have to agree with @willmatic that there was no wow factor for me with this release. To be fair, I think there's a whole lot more to work with with Axis from the get go, so maybe not a far comparison.

That's not to say there's anything wrong with the one-step. Wonderful, clean, quiet, heavy pressing. Great detail and separation as you would expect from a 45rpm. Nice depth and soundstage, particularly on the vocals (see below). I found there be a cleaner bottom end on the one-step and slightly more sparkle up top - so some improvement in range. But the biggest difference I find is in the vocals (and to some extent the harmonica) where the one-step has a noticeably smoother presentation than my standard pressing. Though my system is all tubes, I have very detailed planars. So for me, the one-step added smoothness is a step up from the earlier pressing and the one place where I find the biggest improvement. May not be the case for others with different systems.

I'm not at all dissatisfied with the one-step. Is it worth it? It is as an improvement over my one other pressing and was within my budget, so for me yes. I'll leave it for others who have the mofi 33 to speak if its worth the added expense for them.

17. Jeremy B.

Jeremy B. Forum Resident

From the other thread:

#445 spinning now.
    First impressions of Side 1: sounds great. I only have the original Columbia to compare this to, but I've always felt like that pressing was excellent too.

There's substantially more top-end energy on this pressing, but it doesn't sound overly bright. It sounds balanced and life-like, with maybe a little "excitement" added. Every instrument is crystal clear. You can really pick out Bob's guitar strumming. The cymbal work on "Tangled Up in Blue" is especially present in a way I've never heard it before. Same with the bass drum. I can hear every beat. Could be a little more impactful but maybe that's how it was mixed.

Simple Twist of Fate is not sonically up to par with Tangled Up in Blue, but it's still the best I've ever heard this song sound. Bob sounds a little distant, but that's due to all the reverb on the track. That's just the vibe of the NY tracks, for better or worse. The sibilance present on my Columbia copy on this track is nowhere to be found here, thankfully. I listened through my Focal 1008's first and a pair of Focal Utopia headphones after, and I can happily report that the s's have been tamed. The bass sounds great too. Very well-articulated.

Pressing quality is on par with the other releases in this series. Plays dead silent; I heard maybe two light ticks on Side 1.

I will say, ever since the Analogue Productions UHQR Axis, I've come to realize how crappy the packaging is for these. The boxes are much thicker than they need to be, the finish scuffs easily, and the lift-off lid means I have to pull out the entire box and unpack the thing every time I want to listen to it. The "slide-out" system on the UHQR box is 1000% better.

More to come. This is a really excellent release. Side 1 didn't quite knock me out the way Side 1 of the One-Step Abraxas did, but I think this could easily be my second favorite sonically if the other three sides are up to par with the first one. I have: Abraxas, Bridge Over Troubled Water, What's Going On, and Portrait in Jazz.
    ----

I've finished listening to all of it now. The Minneapolis tracks are just astounding. If the sound quality isn't quite as impressive as the One-Step Abraxas, it's only because the production on BOTT isn't as dense, loud, and spooky in-your-face. "You're a Big Girl Now" is the standout here. The drums are ridiculously lifelike, and the amount of detail in the lead acoustic guitar in the left channel is really something else. I can hear the vibrations from each sting as it's struck.
    The NY tracks sound the best I've ever heard them, but they're not on the same level as the Minneapolis tracks. The echo on Bob's voice makes him sound kind of distant, and not so "in-the-room," but I guess that's what he was going for. Still, I'm really happy the sibilance has been tamed, and even these tracks do sound very very good.

Again, I only have the original Columbia, so I can't compare this release to the 33 rpm MFSL. I'd be interested to hear from someone that has both that and the One-Step.

I haven't been entirely impressed with all of these releases (*cough* What's Going On/Portrait in Jazz *cough*), but this one is really special. With 9000 pressed I can't imagine these will be too difficult to track down. If you're on the fence I'd say go for it. I can't imagine anyone being disappointed.

Cassius, Xander2017, DPC and 2 others like this.
  18. Jeremy B.

Jeremy B. Forum Resident

Axis wasn't MoFi and wasn't a One-Step. It was an AP release and pressed traditionally but on clear vinyl.

I actually don't love the UHQR Axis...I find it a bit bright. Maybe it's equipment dependent!

19. Sedwards

Sedwards Senior Member

Of course! Sorry. Brain freeze on my old brain. But There was a major difference between the UHQR and other pressings that I didn't find with the Dylan one-step

20. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Has this BOTT sold out on pre orders? I have one on order from months ago but would be surprised given it is over £150 in the UK if 9000 sold out that quickly.
    Re the actual one step did it get established if the first 7 tracks are sped up as per the original and most subsequent releases or is it similar to the 1981 Columbia HC 43235 version?

21. Gordon Johnson

It is that price in the UK due to overly inflated shipping, customs and VAT charges. I'd say £150 is a little low as it most likely runs in at closer to £160!

Unless you seek out a third party seller and risk the returns issue if the goods are faulty!

22. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

I think it is £160 plus £3.50 post and packing on the Diverse Vinyl site so yes £150 would be good! My order is with a UK based retailer who will take payment when they receive it and post it out.
    Is it going to be worth the money - in my opinion absolutely not really but there you go. I did a needledrop of my HC 43235 which is ok and I am also ok with the MFSL hybrid cd/sacd. I love the Bootleg series More Blood set as well. With the help of friends who each had a RSD BOTT we complied a pretty perfect needle drop copy from our 4 copies!

23. Gordon Johnson

I'm sure it will be well worth it, when they get the pressing and packaging right you end up with something worth listening to and owning. Will it be "better" than all before? Only you can decide that, will it be different, sure and delivered on what should be an improved, noticeably improved platform.

Just hope the copy you get does not need replacing as you are sourcing third party. Though with such numbers being produced [not so limited by any stretch] a replacement should be available should it be required.

24. count.d

count.d Senior Member

I ordered this on May 29th from Music Direct, but they've not taken payment yet or sent it. Is anyone else still waiting or anyone received theirs who ordered it after May 29th?

25. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

It takes some time from when they start shipping to get the later folks processed.