Bruce Springsteen - Live Archive Releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chris S., Aug 24, 2015.

1. Brian_Svoboda

Brian_Svoboda Senior Member

I’m happy with this release. First off, it’s a great show. It was a daring U-turn from the stadium shows, a romantic callback to the in-studio radio broadcasts of 1973 and 1974, and a great set list. Second, I’ve been waiting a long, long, long time to hear this show sound so good. The boots and circulating tapes have never been as good as they should have been, for a show that circulated from the board almost right from the beginning. But here, on “Mansion on the Hill,” Nils’s guitar and Danny’s accordion bathe the room in sound. A big thumbs-up.

2. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

An E Street Band show will be released in the future, count on it.;)

Guy Smiley, Jimmy B. and JoeF. like this.
  3. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Bruce released "FIRE" on VHS and DVD and it appeared he owns it rather than licensed it.

Bruce/Metallica must have the clout to ask for ownership of their performances.

4. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

A prediction-the next one—the next half dozen at least—WON’T be from 1973/74, otherwise known as “the pre-Landsu Years.”

Guy Smiley likes this.
  5. There is zero technical difference in sound quality between cds and cdrs as used by Nugs.

bobcat likes this.
  6. musicaner

musicaner Forum Resident

he needs the ok for the track with CSNY and also probably needs OK to use the alternate sources.
    i never liked this in the first place. probably heard it once. they played the whole thing on EStreet
    radio and it was over in about 30 min, AND, it sounded worse than the boot.

due to the peculiarities of this release-delay, possible replacement-it is reasonable to suppose that Agora 74 was in store but somehow derailed at the very last moment, thus I retain my insider status for another month.

7. musicaner

musicaner Forum Resident

yes for sure,that annoying screenwriter and his buddies are toast. if there is one tape that is the anti-huuge its this one.

8. Randy5554

Randy5554 Forum Resident

Now watch the next release be from either the 2005 or 2006 tours where Born to Run wasn’t performed!

9. Dr. Zoom

Dr. Zoom Forum Resident

Don’t worry, you’ve safely retained a number of statuses

10. JulesV

JulesV Well-Known Member

Important show in his history. It had been very very long since he had done a full set (ok..half a set) of acoustic music like this. This show paved the way for Christic, and ultimately the whole Joad tour. It also gave him a chance to reclaim BITUSA (from himself). It also paved the way for a road without (or only partial inclusion of ) E Street. Interesting anecdote from Nils about You Can Look being a last minute addition. And you can't go wrong with a show that includes Follow That Dream. For $7.95, it's an easy decision.

11. musicaner

musicaner Forum Resident

Joad tour was 10 years after this.

12. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

To be clear, while this is latest 1986 release is not the most exciting concert selection, for $7, I am happy to snag the mp3s over any post-1999 show. Something vintage from the 1970's or early 1980's would have been preferable (it is definitely time for a pre-1975 release), but again, I will take this Bridge Benefit set over the vast majority of the Rising, Magic, WOAD, WB shows any day of the week.

belardd and Brian_Svoboda like this.
  13. musicaner

musicaner Forum Resident

im going with Sunderland for next month release.

14. Syscrusher

Syscrusher Forum Resident

Never listened to this one before so I’m excited. Cool setlist. Seeds and Follow That Dream I don’t think ever get played on future solo tours. I also always really liked the early acoustic arrangements that feature the accordion so looking forward to that too.

Rockford & Roll likes this.
  15. Harry Hood

Harry Hood Forum Resident

He started some of The Other Band shows in 92/93 with a short acoustic set that often included Seeds.

Syscrusher, Jimmy B. and budwhite like this.
  16. Just in '93; most of those shows, if not all.
    This one though has the melody of Rockaway The Days.

Rockford & Roll and Syscrusher like this.
  17. screechmartin

screechmartin Senior Member

I think you are right, and it's a real shame. I was fortunate enough to go 5 or 6 times, and I saw some incredible performances. In a reasonably long concert going life, all of those shows stand out as highlights. Didn't see Bruce, though. I always thought he would pop up again in the 21st century, but it didn't happen.

walrus likes this.
  18. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

The Petty ones would be really interesting. I don’t know how many times he played, but combining those short sets into an album would be sort of the Petty Unplugged LP that never was.

JohnB likes this.
  19. Adam Schellin

Adam Schellin Forum Resident

An incredible release, as I often understand the value of each one as itself. As a long-time tape collector, this one hits home. It was the first tape I ever traded for along with Stockholm '81 and Roxy '78.

This was $9.95 too. Unreal.

Jacline and Rockford & Roll like this.
  20. Brian_Svoboda

Brian_Svoboda Senior Member

This. My hope would be something from the Sancious/Boom Carter era. The Bottom Line 7/12/74 comes to mind, where one of those shows was recorded at least in part for an NYU radio broadcast that was to have occurred on the next night. Another hope would be a fall ‘74 show featuring Suki Lahav, especially if they still can’t find the second reel from 2/5/75. Maybe if they gave us “Spanish Harlem” and “Lost in the Flood,” people wouldn’t be irked by the non-release of the Main Point broadcast. In either case, the era and performance would fully justify a mono “from the board” tape, as with the ‘77s.

dee, stevelucille, Syscrusher and 4 others like this.
  21. dolstein

dolstein Senior Member

A complete soundboard recording of a Sancious/Carter era concert with Born to Run material is at the top of my wish list. A complete Suki era concert in quality comparable to the first reel of the Main Point show would probably be next. And any 76-77 soundboards in quality comparable to the two '77 shows already released would be most welcome.

Perhaps my biggest disappointment with the Archive Series has been just how few surprises we're gotten. The '77 boards were a big surprise - for years people have speculated over whether any soundboard recordings from that tour existed. The '81 Wembley recording was another surprise. But that's about it.

dee, stevelucille, jay.dee and 5 others like this.
  22. musicaner

musicaner Forum Resident

maybe Appel is holding the pre 75 tapes.

23. PrineHootieWho2000

PrineHootieWho2000 Forum Resident

I don't know if we ever will get from the early shows pre Born to Run.
    That may have been something within the lawsuit.

Adam Schellin and ExHead like this.
  24. Harry Hood

Harry Hood Forum Resident

You all seem to be forgetting that Bruce was never any good until Jon discovered him.

musicaner likes this.
  25. arthurprecarious

arthurprecarious Forum Resident

Me too. I enjoyed it. May not listen that often but it’s good to hear a solo(ish) Bruce and Nils and Danny sound good.

Rockford & Roll likes this.