The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

3/30/80 tonight..I know these shows well, having made a 2-cd compilation of the run in an attempt to make something like Going to Nassau. I posted the contents somewhere upstream, if you're interested. 3/30/80 has a great vibe and sound. Garcia is in top form. Making the latest Pick look like an embarrassment, to be honest. I absolutely love how this band evolved through each season, and this run is a fine example of this period.

While it's on my mind (and in case you've forgotten...), Europe '81 needs more fanfare.

2. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

3. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

The sonic presentation of the Movie Soundtrack 5 CD Set is just always so stunning for me. I feel like I'm on the goddamn stage standing between Weir and
    Garcia.

And don't nobody say, "You're Donna?"

edit: The Sun will shine in my back door someday.
    The Sun will shine in my back door someday.
    March winds will blow all my troubles away.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
    Crispy Rob, laf848, ARK and 8 others like this.
  4. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

Yeah, that release has caused me to pull over on many occasions. That first disc alone is top shelf.

Crispy Rob, ARK, Matthew Tate and 2 others like this.
  5. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

As you wish. Double negative equals a positive. You're Donna?

Crispy Rob, Billy_Sunday, ARK and 3 others like this.
  6. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

I fell into that one.

Crispy Rob, ARK and bzfgt like this.
  7. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Agree 100%

ianuaditis and uzn007 like this.
  8. bzfgt

I listened to H>S>F again from 1984-04-01 just now to see if it is really as great as it was the first time, and it is...if anyone listens to this, check out Franklin's Tower between 3:45 and 3:54 and tell me what the hell is that he plays at 3:50...

Also revisited Bird Song from 1980-11-30, I think this is also one of the best ever...

9. Dr. Luther's Assistant

Dr. Luther's Assistant dancing about architecture

And wonderful, it is...

10. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Yes! Morning Dew is best served with Gibsons!

11. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

uzn007 and Archtop like this.
  12. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

Reminder that Garcia was a trickster agent of chaos, bad influence, and a very naughty boy:

'When we landed, the first person I saw was my brother and friend Jerry Garcia. He looked like one of those yogis in a cave in the Himalayas. He had that beatific, everything is all right already look. For me, he was like assurance, confidence and a sanctuary.

'They’d told us we were going on two bands after the Grateful Dead. He goes, “Well man, you better get comfortable because apparently, we’re not going on until one o’clock in the morning. It’s a mess here. And by the way, would you like to take some of this?” It was mescaline. And I was like, “Let’s see, it’s 12:30 in the afternoon. By two o’clock in the morning, I’ll be all right.” I used to take LSD and mescaline a lot, so I knew the timing. After eight or 10 hours, you’re into what we call the amoeba state. Your thoughts become very galactic and universal and microscoped.

'Two hours after I took it, there was a face in my face that said, “You need to go on right now, otherwise you’re not going to play.” By this time I was really, really on it, you know? I just held on to my faith, and what my mom taught me. I asked, over and over, “Just help me stay in tune and on time.”'

How Santana Hallucinated Through One of Woodstock’s Best Sets (His Own)

13. MattG

MattG Unreliable Narrator

Currently jamming on 5/11/77, St. Paul Civic Center. If that Big River was any hotter, they’d of had to call in the fire brigade. Oh, lawdy

14. budwhite

Crispy Rob, Billy_Sunday, ARK and 5 others like this.
  15. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

so what do you think will happen next year for workingmans dead and American beauty? there are no remixes but there are some single edits and mixes. include those or use the rest of the space on disc 1 and then all of disc 2 for a concert?

sparkmeister, ianuaditis and sami like this.
  16. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Same here, probably owe it to (blame it on?) this one that I enjoy Mexicali Blues so much still.

ianuaditis, johnnypaddock and bzfgt like this.
  17. US Blues

budwhite and Matthew Tate like this.
  18. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

I'll get on it shortly, but I'm currently having my hair blown back by the Hampton, 4/14/84 Dew and I'm bald.

Edit: I'm not sure which version you're listening to, but I'm assuming you mean the brief chromatically-descending DOM7 voicings. He used that often. Check out DaP 16, Springfield, MA 3/28/73 in ina--> r from 3:31-3:33. Same sort of thing.

19. frightwigwam

frightwigwam Talented Amateur

I don’t think Jerry did anything deliberately tricky or naughty, there. Both he and Carlos believed in good faith that Santana would go on in the middle of the night (“THEY’d told us...”). Carlos took this into account when he accepted the drug. It’s just that the producers screwed over the plan by pushing Santana on stage in the afternoon, about 12 hours earlier than expected.

20. DrLunchbox

DrLunchbox Forum Deadhead #1604

Do we know the status of the Europe 81 tapes? What about the March 81 tapes? Lots of good stuff there. Are those release worthy?

21. budwhite

Quite nice. His singing is getting better/more to my liking anyway

sami, wavethatflag and US Blues like this.
  22. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

I was half-joking. Obviously Santana voluntarily dosed himself. On the other hand the Dead posse was notorious for sneakily slipping hallucinogens into unsuspecting people's beverages, and Garcia thought it was funny when Prankster types used to pop tabs of LSD into random tourist's mouths in San Francisco back in the day. I'll bet things didn't always work out well.

Crispy Rob, Billy_Sunday, ARK and 5 others like this.
  23. US Blues

And yet, the promoters putting Santana on-stage while under the benevolent medical care of J. Garcia allowed Santana to became famous.

Soul Sacrifice

24. bzfgt

Miller sbd 32535

Yeah it's where he's sort of ascending while the larger pattern is descending. It sounds insane in that instance, I guess it's a DOM 7 but there's something extra wonky about it there it seems like...whatever it is he's doing, it sounds wild

Crispy Rob, sami and Archtop like this.
  25. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

I’ll have to revisit that 9/19/7o Dark Star, so far it has yet to reveal its wonders to me. To date I have found the 5/15/70 version much more whelming.