Abbey Road 50th contents, outtakes and sound quality thread .. only

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by audiotom, Aug 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeManaic61

MikeManaic61 Forum Resident

Yes... that again.

Dan The Man1 likes this.
  2. Bern

Bern JC4Me

Yes....do one in May for LIB...then another in November for Christmas....whatever they choose to put out is ok with me. I prefer 62-66 era over the 67-70. (if forced to choose)

3. Newguy444

Newguy444 Forum Resident

So Michael fremer wrote he is pushing for an AAA release. How likely is this?

I don't want to hear about how we already have this. We have half a century old used scruffed up copies lying around. I wasn't alive to buy a new one of those, so yeah, we need it.

Joti Cover likes this.
  4. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

Is that possible? I always thought a lot of the remixing is done digitally anyway. The only way to get a true AAA is buy a second hand pre-remaster copy.....

5. Newguy444

Newguy444 Forum Resident

I'm talking about an AAA release based on the original mix.

Dan The Man1 likes this.
  6. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member Thread Starter

This thread has a completely different focus

The music
    Read ip

thrivingonariff likes this.
  7. Ken Wood

Ken Wood Forum Resident

What? Where?

8. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Here!

Who Cares, ralph7109 and Ken Wood like this.
  9. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

I'm afraid I don't understand it...I think the original mix was available for ages on vinyl in it's original analogue mastering. My fastest bet will be to get a NM (or M) copy. There may eventually be a release of all the original albums (analogue/original mixes on 180 gram vinyl), but I suspect that may take a decade!

J Alesait and violetvinyl like this.
  10. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

Nice work. Going to use that.

Lewisboogie, Bern and andrewskyDE like this.
  11. kevintee

kevintee I’d rather be listening to McCartney

Same here!

andrewskyDE and Bern like this.
  12. Leigh

Leigh https://orf.media

So I listened to Something (once). It sounds quite different than what was in my head from the old version. I know it's a cliche in these parts but it did sound a bit "smiley face EQ" to me - maybe because of lots of low bass (not complaining!) but kind of "far away" mixed vocals at times. It's such a different presentation that it will take time to get used to. It certainly sounded "audiophile". Clarity is present in spades. It's weird to hear individual instruments w/out the extra generations of tape. But of course I will get the new version when it comes.

Listening to Something got me in the mood for the remixed white album :) Probably my favorite Beatles album with all its variety and weirdness. Really enjoying the remix on that one.

13. thrivingonariff

thrivingonariff Forum Resident

14. MPLRecords

MPLRecords Owner of eleven copies of Tug of War

Neil Aspinall, circa 1997: "The Beatles didn't hold anything back from the three Anthology CDs. Everything they thought was worth releasing is on those three CDs."

Apple, circa 2019: "Just kidding!"

15. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

I’m not saying it wouldn’t be nice, but... we already have this. And being that this is the SH Forums, the odds are incredibly likely that you’re older than I am, so I can assure you I wasn’t around to buy a new one either.

16. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

I have listened to the 5.1 mixes of Pepper and the White Album quite a bit since release dates but never actually listened to the stereo remixes until today. While I liked the Pepper remix I still prefer the Mono and that will always be my go to version. I really liked the White Album remix and I think that it will now be my go to version in stereo. Can't wait for the Abbey Road stereo remix and the 5.1 and hope they are just great as the other two.

17. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Forum Resident

Whatever happened to @tinnox ? Best host ever.

arnt, Beatle Ed, marmalade166 and 9 others like this.
  18. ejs1950

ejs1950 Active Member

Don’t forget- this is not a wave file quality file — similar comments were made regarding the WA50 files, and they turned out sounding much better than the files first given us.

Lewisboogie likes this.
  19. Newguy444

Newguy444 Forum Resident

I don't understand why this concept is so difficult to get...we don't have this. What we have are 50 year old heavily used, scratched copies lying around, which sucks for younger generations of music lover who would like to own and play pristine copies. Mint or NM copies of this title are hard to find and those that are for sale are too expensive for the average person.

20. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

I actually hate that particular bit. I find it difficult to believe that Lennon only found out at that moment, and he sounds as if he’s overacting for the cameras. Or Yoko.

spindly, pantofis, tages and 2 others like this.
  21. Bern

Bern JC4Me

Idk...I always thought it was genuine. Maybe Yoko whispered it into his ear.

22. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

It’s hard to understand the concept because it has no basis in reality... I paid less than $9 for a NM 70’s UK press less than a year ago. I’ve seen record stores regularly receive clean 70’s/80’s pressings over the years. It’s really not that hard to find - this is Abbey Road we’re talking about - and if you paid more than $20-40, you paid too much. Exactly what a good reissue would retail for. There’s also discogs, eBay... you have options and by no means have to wait for something that may or may not ever happen... unless you want to.

tezca likes this.
  23. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

Thanks Royce. I just added in the relevant Esher demos, Jan-69 rehearsals and kept the Harrison demos together for a slightly more expanded Disc 2.

Disc 2 Sessions

1. Mean Mister Mustard (Esher demo) (Anthology 3 or WA50)
    2. Polythene Pam (Esher demo) (Anthology 3 or WA50)
    3. She Came In Threw Bathroom Window (Apple Studio rehearsal) (Anthology 3)
    4. Oh Darling! (Apple Studio rehearsal) (Anthology 3)

5. I Want You (She’s So Heavy) (Trident Recording Session & Reduction Mix)
    6. Goodbye (Home Demo)
    7. Something (Studio Demo) (Guitar, Vocal) (Anthology 3)
    8. Something (Studio Demo) (Guitar, Piano, Vocal)
    9. Old Brown Shoe (Studio Demo) (Anthology 3)
    10. All Things Must Pass (Studio Demo) (Anthology 3)

11. The Ballad Of John And Yoko (Take 7)
    12. Old Brown Shoe (Take 2)
    13. Oh! Darling (Take 4)
    14. Octopus's Garden (Mix of Takes 2 & 8) (Anthology 3)
    15. Octopus’s Garden (Take 9)
    16. You Never Give Me Your Money (Take 36)
    17. Her Majesty (Takes 1–3)
    18. Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight (Takes 1–3 / Medley)
    19. Here Comes The Sun (Take 9)
    20. Maxwell’s Silver Hammer (Take 5) (Anthology 3)
    21. Maxwell’s Silver Hammer (Take 12)

Disc 3: Sessions

1. Come Together (Take 1) (Anthology 3)
    2. Come Together (Take 5)
    3. The End (Take 3)
    4. The End (Remix) (Anthology 3)
    5. Come And Get It (Studio Demo) (1969 Mix)
    6. Come And Get It (Studio Demo) (1982 Mix) (Anthology 3)
    7. Ain't She Sweet (Jam from 24 July 1969) (Anthology 3)

8. Sun King (Take 20)
    9. Mean Mr Mustard (Take 20)
    10. Polythene Pam (Take 27)
    11. She Came In Through The Bathroom Window (Take 27)
    12. Because (Take 1 – Instrumental)
    13. Because (Acapella) (Anthology 3)
    14. The Long One (Trial Edit & Mix – 30 July 1969) (Side Two Medley: You Never Give Me Your Money thru The End)
    15. Something (Take 39 – Instrumental – Strings Only)
    16. Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight (Take 17 – Instrumental – Strings & Brass Only)

Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
  24. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

Does anyone know what exactly comprises the I Want You (She’s So Heavy) outtake? Is this the edited Trident master combining takes 9, 20 & 32? Will it feature any overdubs made at Abbey Road studios?

25. BeatlesObsessive

BeatlesObsessive The Earl of Sandwich Ness

Strings and vocal isolates are there to honor George Martin... just as we got strings for Eleanor Rigby and The End on Anthology so too are they features on Pepper and Abbey Road and would be on Revolver. This is not like the White Album... it is a memorial to GM and to the Beatles!

Ok this thread is for actualities so no more speculation but my question is... hat happens to the mixed down strings on Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight/The End and the Moog white noise on I Want You in the ATMOS mix. Will it fly above the fray or move in and out of it?!

BeatleJWOL and ronbow like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.