Parting with CDs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Adam9, Aug 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I cannot part with mine! they are my digital family. : )

2. Michael

I have many CDRs the only problem I've had was with PRINCO...all failed.

3. Michael

but it's all true...

dalem5467, JoeF. and RSteven like this.
  4. Michael

I've had that experience...

5. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Sure

mr. suit and Michael like this.
  6. Michael

or telling us over and over the CD is dead...

7. Michael

Indeed. : ) have you spoken with any?

8. Stencil

Stencil Forum Resident

Any collection with all that Prefab Sprout does need some heavy trimming tho.

9. Mister President

Mister President Forum Resident

I haven't bought a CD since 2008 and got back into vinyl...which my nephew will probably inherent and put in the bin the day after my funeral.

Oh well.

10. libertycaps

libertycaps Forum Resident

Parting with Clouds.

Bingo Bongo likes this.
  11. Michael

LOL...sorry, I just had to laugh...good one.

RSteven likes this.
  12. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Yep

Michael likes this.
  13. Michael

OK...fair enough.

14. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

Yep. Echoing what others have said. Who cares if they're useless? Action figures in the box are useless. So are comic books in a sealed bag. It's a collectible that makes me happy to collect it, hold it, pore it over, organize it, reorganize it, know that I earned it and it gives me satisfaction to have done so. I rip all of my CDs and play the files back from a computer. That defeats the primary putpose of owning CDs. But keeping me happy is another purpose they serve and they serve that purpose very well. I love 'em.

The internet has given people who think they're right a platform to look down on others. But the simple answer is that ya get 80 years on this ball of horror if you're lucky and there's no reason to waste any of that time being miserable. Find what makes you happy and embrace it. And for me, a borderline misanthropist who feels about 45 years out of time, if I can find happiness in little silver noise circles, I'll take it.

15. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

The article is severely biased. Dissing Morrisey for defending Brexit ? Or blaming anyone but him for his poor tastes ? He went mp3s on an Iphone FFS; clearly not an audiophile. Little wonder he can't understand some of us are not only clinging to their several hundred CDs, but, like me, are about to cough up U$ 1000 to replace their cherished but agonizing CDPs, and continue to listen to their beloved ¨aluminium coasters¨ for (hopefully) the rest of their lives .

It would have been nice to have a face-to-face chat with this guy, if only to tell him people think differently, and every opinion deserves respect. Maybe it's just the way it's redacted, but my guess is the guy thinks his way is the only acceptable way (reminds a lot of my political family). Oh well. What a kerrapy article.

16. Mister President

Mister President Forum Resident

Maybe it's less about CDs per se and if people just life to have/collect "stuff" whatever it is (I know someone who collects washing machines - don't ask!).

I'm more minimal that most with about 400 records, 10 books, 80 CDs (no CD player!) and no television.

Some people aren't which is fine.

17. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Indeed, it was. Doesn't mean his opinions are not valid. If his process is to make others aware of the psychology that is forcing others to re-evaluate their possessions at a certain age, married to an awareness of what an over-consumerist society we find ourselves in today, good job. And aside from that loud voice in the back of my head berating me for every seemingly-irrelevant album I have jettisoned sometime ago, that won't let me rest until I take any opportunity to return it somehow to my collection...he covers a lot of common ground.

The only difference between him and my wife is, he hasn't been nagging me constantly about "doing something about all this clutter"...because mine is apparently keeping her from putting a love seat back in that one space in the basement I found for all my comics and SF paperbacks and tax records. And, he doesn't have virtually 300 pair of women's shoes in our Second Bedroom closet. Which I am careful to not bring up.

18. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

New releases on CD cost U$ 20 for the second part of the 90s here (30 for the first half-so no way) . Massive bargain bins started to appear, so I swam on those and got incredible stuff. Today a local release is around U$ 7

carrolls likes this.
  19. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

The only things I’m contemplating getting rid of are the jewel cases. I have two rows of file boxes full of them stacked 6 feet high in my basement. I’ve kept my CDs in Roladisc bubble sleeves for years to save space. The exception is boxed sets and the audiophile CDs which remain in their cases as purchased. I do have concerns about regretting it should I send the cases off for recycling, I shall ponder this dilemma for some time I’m sure! :(

Now space is a real issue for me like many others, and with a possible cross country move looming I do have to think hard about my thousands of records and CDs, but I’m a physical media person through and through, playing files is fine at work, but that’s the environment for computers in my life, not so when I’m home. In the meantime I cannot resist picking up scores of CDs at a time for $1-$3.

The writer has every right to do what he did and to write about it, but seriously, he needs to keep all those Mojo magazines....?

20. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Honestly, I just finished the article.
    The guy is basically a loser, so what has he got to lose?!? Maybe 50 lbs. might clear his head a bit. :hide:

21. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

Anyone figure out the author's SH Forum username yet?

22. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

:laugh:

23. thefxc

thefxc Forum Resident

planetexpress likes this.
  24. sons of nothing

sons of nothing Forum Resident

Let him dump them. and anyone else who chooses to do so. It allows the rest of us who wish to do so to pick up scores of cds for a minimal cost. I bought 22 today, and spent 30 bucks.

25. eric777

eric777 Astral Projectionist

I think people should do whatever makes them happy so long as they don’t hurt anyone else. I never got the impression that this guy was telling anyone what to do. Instead, I feel that he was simply expressing himself the same way many on this forum do. This article is just his opinion. The only thing I find silly is that some people here seem to have taken it personally.

For some people, collecting is a true joy. For others, it can feel like a prison. Why should someone who prefers minimalism stay quiet while someone who prefers collecting gets to brag? Both the collector and the minimalist have the right to express their opinion and the only thing I find silly is that some people can’t hear an opinion without attacking them or simply taking it personal.

I liked the article but I know it’s just an opinion. There is nothing wrong with collecting if it makes you happy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.