Parting with CDs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Adam9, Aug 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

That's horrible. I don't hate cheap record players, even Crosleys but that's inexcusable.

2. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

You didn't like the picture of the cassette on the cassette door? :D

ARK and Man at C&A like this.
  3. tdcrjeff

tdcrjeff Senior Member

I wonder what happens when you hit the FF button.

4. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

me too sans LP. : )

5. Jupitermadcat

Jupitermadcat Forum Resident

I grew up with Vinyl and i still have some left. When CD'S came out i never looked back i love buying CD'S it tells me i actually bought something and i can look at it read the liner notes etc..I don't care what anyone says i do what i enjoy. i also have a streaming too which i like.

jonathan, vegafleet and Man at C&A like this.
  6. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

It probably takes off like a helicopter.

Calling All Stations likes this.
  7. Michael

8. Michael

cute...: )

9. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

Yeah, the topic is really the only thing that article has going for it. Strip that away and it's all hot air.

You know, re-reading the above sentence, I don't think I could have picked a worse way to word what I was trying to get across. "If this article wasn't about anything, it would be totally pointless."

The point I was trying to make was that the only substance this article has is in the mention of CDs, and mostly because they're an easy target for people against physical media, and they're hard to defend for people who like them (beyond "I just like them, okay?" - which is pretty much half of this thread, myself included!) Because, really, the article is about how CDs took up space and he got rid of them and now he has space. I could write an article about how I vacuumed the dog hair and dust out of the living room today. But, oh wait, there's no point of contention there. (Not that I think the writer was trying to be contentious, but the article really hinges on that.)

jonathan, Pop_Zeus and Man at C&A like this.
  10. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

I usually avoid the read-world discussion myself, especially since I stream music also. But if I get the occasional "what are you, a dinosaur?" ribbing I'll usually bring up 1) very cheap cost 2) easy to rip to my phone or whatever else I have around that's not Tidal / Spotify and of course 3) I now own the album until I drop dead, so I don't need to worry if streaming services implode later on as I'm covered.

Pop_Zeus likes this.
  11. InStepWithTheStars

Not that they'll care, but you don't get lossless streaming, and you can get CDs for a fraction of the cost of lossless downloads. If they're fine with only getting 75% of the music, never mind the compression that renders it lifeless (and the MP3 conversion that makes it clip even more), more power to 'em. But you're right on the biggest reason - digital rights are a b***h and it's not a given that your favorite album will still be online tomorrow.

R. Cat Conrad and Pop_Zeus like this.
  12. Kevin Davis

Kevin Davis EQUIPMENT PROFILE INCOMPLETE

There are so many articles like this out there. "I am a responsible, modern adult who finds happiness in detachment from physical objects, but here, let me explain my reasoning behind what I got rid of and what I chose to keep, so that you too may follow my logic and reach the conclusion that my decisions were correct." More than anything, these articles feel like insecure people trying to justify their own decisions to themselves, masquerading as self-help articles for the benefit of the unenlightened.

People have been wringing their hands over what to put out at the yard sale and what to throw into a "sentimentals" box for decades. Only now, in narcissistic internet world, does summoning the emotional courage to part with a Modest Mouse CD constitute a spiritual achievement worthy of print ink. If an empty living room makes you happy, go for it -- but it ain't everyone's panacea.

13. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Atheists don't do that.:rolleyes:

14. Grant

I'm thinking that these new breed of threads about whether one keeps a particular format is going to get curbed by the moderators soon.

15. Channel Z

Channel Z Forum Resident

I like to play music without needing internet /computer / smartphone access. Its like a breath of fresh air. I'll keep my CDs and vinyl. I'm currently listening to Grateful Dead XM Channel Saturday Night Concert again no internet required.

RSteven, Jupitermadcat and Pop_Zeus like this.
  16. InStepWithTheStars

Yup, you hit the nail on the head. The internet gives people a platform to voice their opinion as though people will take it to heart. My opinion (which you must take to heart, of course) is that if you're going to read an article like this and decide "that guy has the right idea, I'm going to do what he did" - you're probably not very smart and giving you internet access is a bad idea. If you'd been meaning to throw out your CD collection but you kept forgetting that the box was sitting in a corner of the basement gathering mildew until you saw an article about getting rid of CDs, maybe I could understand, but if you'd forgotten then you clearly didn't need the space, which was the focus of the article. This article seems to point to a very specific scenario - which (as a sufferer myself) suggests to me that he finally shook his OCD, but refuses to admit that he had it in the first place.

And to be fair I don't think that the writer of the article has any delusions of grandeur or anything for doing this. The article was well-written from a writing standpoint and it was clearly a topic that mattered to him... but I really can't think of anyone who would read this and take anything away from it, besides "CDs are useless" - and anyone who would come away with that conclusion had probably already arrived at it anyway. Otherwise, it's an article about how a guy got rid of stuff.

I love this forum. We can have five pages of discussion about an article revolving around someone cleaning their house just because it's almost tangentially related to our hobby. :D

Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
    Scopitone likes this.
  17. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident

I’m more of a record guy but I still have a large collection of cds. My issue is finding a good CD player nowadays. I’m currently using an older Sony DVD player I’ve had for years but it has issues sometimes with the door not functioning. I’ve owned about 3 or 4 CD players since 1989.
    I bought a used one recently on eBay but I had to send it back, had the same problem with the door not opening.

18. Grant

Who says? Are you not aware that you can stream lossless?

Lost In The Flood and ARK like this.
  19. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

On board 100%. And further, I've noticed that some members regularly use the term "hobby" to describe the accumulation of art (music).

Great googly moogly, collecting music is not a hobby; it's an accumulation of art. I'd expound, but I just don't want to.

BluesOvertookMe and Man at C&A like this.
  20. InStepWithTheStars

No, I didn't think that was a thing. Lossless files tend to be pretty gigantic so it would seem impractical to me to do that... but then again, videos are even bigger than WAVs, and you can have 12-hour videos on YouTube. Hmm. Guess I'd just never thought of that before. Well, nice to know, I guess - thanks!

21. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

I get the idea of having so much music in one small place as your phone. But, to me, the streaming thing is more generic less personal. I like my mp3 player that has stuff i put in there. Like one long mix tape. I still buy and enjoy cds. The thing people don't mention about cds is the specific music that is on them. They have been around and have a history. I love going to my local store and finding really interesting cds, comps and boxes that have well curated interesting music that is specific to cds. Similar to old lps you find that are history of their era. It's fun to search and find cool stuff you weren't looking for. Cds offer a lot of that. Lots of cool stuff out there to find.

I have been going through all my stuff and trading in and getting more but i love the process. I have recently bought more new lps for the same reason i search out cds. Now there is stuff coming out that is reasonable and not easy to find in another way. I buy used lps, used cds, new lps and new cds still. I like em all. Don't stream. Listen to the radio every day. Lots of great radio near me. All listener supported long time dj stuff.

I love music but can't just have a generic thing. I like the search and discovery. Cds are great and have a lot to offer. I get the idea of portability and unecomberment. But, this is my thing. And i still love going to the store and the whole process. It's my sport my hobby. And i'm lucky i have so many cool stores to indulge me. Could end then what would i do? Croche? ;)

As an addition, i love 45s. Some for the sound some for the covers. Buy, used and new stuff. Some interesting new ones out there , just like lps lately new stuff is coming out only on 45 and lps that is exclusive and interesting. I have a few cassettes and a player, Harmon Cardon. Kept only a few commercial cassettes but more of the ones i made through the years. And i kept a few odd ones i have never heard mentioned. At Tower records and maybe other stores they had a machine you could custom choose songs and it would put em on a cassette and print out a title you choose. Like a mixtape but commercially made on demand. Was a around a while. I have three of em. And a few local band cassettes too.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
  22. Grant

You are waayyy behind the times!:laugh:

23. InStepWithTheStars

Yeah, and I ain't even a quarter of a century old yet. :sweating: (That's okay - the less I know about society, the better!)

dalem5467 and wrappedinsky like this.
  24. Duophonic

Duophonic Beatles

I said this time and time again, no matter how many discs are chucked, eBayed, Goodwill’ed, coastered, or flung, you’re gonna end up rebuying them.

Adam9 likes this.
  25. Duophonic

Duophonic Beatles

What an idiot, those are the best versions....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.