Seeking recommendations for sanely-priced full-range speakers

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Benzion, Aug 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident Thread Starter

LOL, lack of bass I already have...

SandAndGlass and timind like this.
  2. Benzion

I have zero experience with open baffle speakers, so am reluctant to get into them without hearing, although their price point is conducive to experimentation...

SandAndGlass likes this.
  3. Benzion

Their bass ends at 58 Hz - that's not even a joke. As I've mentioned - I will not use a sub-woofer, so need something that goes down to at least 40 Hz.

4. Benzion

It is an interesting website - but I don't think he in the business of selling any of it.

5. gguy

gguy Forum Resident

If you call and talk to Eric they will make anything you want, including older models. I’m sure they are in a** kissing mode with everything going on, maybe you can get a deal.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
    displayname likes this.
  6. JMAC

JMAC Senior Member

No, just for your information. Look at the size of his enclosures. If you want one driver and you want bass, you are almost required to go large or get a sub. It’s physics.

You could look for a Beauhorn maybe?

McLover likes this.
  7. vinylkid58

vinylkid58 Forum Resident

OB speakers really need some space, which you don't have.

jeff

Done A Ton, bever70 and Benzion like this.
  8. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

9. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Not possible with the range you want, and the efficiency you need, and single-driver. And especially in the compact size you want. Klipsch Heresy is as small as you can get that is SET somewhat friendly. You can get smaller speakers, but they demand more power than SET can deliver. Compromise in some way is necessary until you and I can overcome the laws of physics. Your choice is larger amplifiers which aren't SET, larger speakers in larger enclosures with more than one driver, and bigger living quarters to use them.

SandAndGlass and JMAC like this.
  10. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

Is there such thing? I am sure some companies would like you to believe that. Some "specs" will tell you yes, but most ears would tell you, NOPE!

11. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Does not exist which goes that low. Reality.

12. swvahokie

swvahokie Forum Resident

Yea, full range and single driver is almost impossible. Throw in sane pricing and its completely impossible. If I wanted to play with SET and had a speaker price range that low, think I would try to find some Klipsch Heresys

McLover likes this.
  13. Benzion

Which tells me that the Zu Omen DWII's, despite their shortcomings, are an incredible value then.

14. Benzion

Off topic: your avatar, is that the dog from "Around the World in 80 Days" - the Australian cartoon series they showed even in Soviet Russia when I was a kid?

15. Benzion

Again, then the Zu Omen DW II's are an incredible value and a near-impossibility in itself - they have all the things I described, are affordable, fairly compact, and their only obvious shortcoming is - they don't sound so good with electric music. They shine with acoustic music/SET amp though. Perhaps my search is over - I'll just keep the Zu's for acoustic music only, paired with the SET, and be done with it, as was my original intention.

SandAndGlass and Helom like this.
  16. Benzion

Which is what? - What's going on?

17. Benzion

Thanks, that confirms my reluctance.

18. McLover

McLover Senior Member

For acoustic music, practical.

19. McLover

McLover Senior Member

I recommend Heresy or Heresy II for more than SET, or tubes. They're superb for the 50 watt/channel under, early low damped, simple circuitry SS crowd too. I eventually want a pair one day.

20. Benzion

21. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

Is it? I had no idea for me is just Mutley from The Wacky races which is a Hanna Barbera cartoon I used to watch a lot as a kid. He had a very contagious laughter.

22. Benzion

Guess I've got it confused, it's been about 35 years or more...

23. Neil S. Cohen

Neil S. Cohen You Enjoy Myself

They don’t sound bass shy in room, not by a long stretch. Good luck finding your grail.

McLover likes this.
  24. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Benzion likes this.
  25. Ezd

Ezd Forum Resident

Hoffman’s Iron Laws of Speaker Building
    1) Bass Extension
    2) Efficiency
    3) Small Enclosure

The law is that you can only have two of these three attributes in speaker building. Ideally we would want all three, we want speakers with good bass, can play really loud, and are small. Unfortunately we cannot have all these. (you also want inexpensive, look great, non-horn, front ported only, preferably new).

That is not as easy as one would hope.

I went thru a similar process as you are doing when searching for efficient speakers to match with my first tube amp a 12 wpc, el-84, push/pull. As a lifetime owner of solid state gear I decided to listen to a low wattage tube amp in my own home and wanted decent speakers so I could do a reasonable comparison... After searching, I felt that most single driver speakers were over-priced. Few companies make their own drivers and some research will result in finding some full-range speakers retailing for $1500 contain a single driver that can be bought for $50. I was going to build my own speakers, but then had an opportunity to buy two pair of vintage Altecs (one horn, one 3-way) and two pair of vintage co-axial locally (I have a bigger room and like the detail that a horn speaker provides).

I am not sure if your end goal is to just explore the sound of single driver speakers in the price range you mentioned or to find the speakers that provide the best sound (to your ears) for your 300b amp? If it is the latter, there may be options other then a single driver. If it is the former, it may be hard to improve on the Zu's you already own at that price.

If you are willing to try something vintage, you may also want to consider a co-axial speaker like an Altec 604/605 (more then your budget), or something similar but less expensive from Jensen, University, Electro-Voice, etc... I prefer the sound of these over a smaller single driver.

You may very well find that the two separate systems approach you currently have is what works best for you...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.