Parting with CDs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Adam9, Aug 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

This guy is doing what corporations want us to do.

Dave, homeslice, j_rocker and 9 others like this.
  2. K.K. Bing

K.K. Bing Forum Resident

He doesn’t tell anybody what to do, these are just his personal opinions about collecting music. Having +4000 records myself and no plans to get rid of them, I neverthless was interested in his thoughts and considerations. I don’t feel offended at all.

Guy E, ARK, eddiel and 2 others like this.
  3. davers

davers Forum Resident

The author's CD format insults seem pretty cliche, especially since he also describes a bunch of cool things he's planning to keep in that very format (e.g. The Beatles White Album deluxe box set).

A fun read overall though.

j_rocker and Adam9 like this.
  4. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

There not worth much.,best to keep them ..unless it’s a space concern and you have 10.000.

Man at C&A likes this.
  5. pseudopod

pseudopod Dig Yourself

Exactly. They like the concept of streaming so they can control what we can or cannot listen to. It's amazing so many people don't see this.
    Enjoy all your precious extra space and listening on cell phone speakers.

Dave, homeslice, Lonson and 7 others like this.
  6. alexpop

If you live in a shoebox I could see streaming being popular for some. But there’s not enough variety of music with streaming at least the oddball stuffing like.

homeslice, pseudopod and ShawnMcCann like this.
  7. Harry Hotspur

Harry Hotspur Forum Resident

Regularly have a purge, taking to charity shops CDs I never play for whatever reason. Feel liberated and allows me to focus on albums I love, without feeling the need to give others a spin. Keeps those CDs in circulation. One man's meat being another one's poison and all.

8. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA

He's doing what all collectors do. He becomes aware that collection is 'too large' or 'has taken over my life' or 'my partner complains about it', spends hours and hours deciding what he needs and what he can get rid of and then makes a big show of reducing his collection. Then spends the next ten years buying it all back.

9. alexpop

Buying it back?
    Yeah..just wait for the computer crash they‘ll be crying then “wish I didn’t sell that “.

Dave, homeslice, ShawnMcCann and 2 others like this.
  10. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

It's actually about empty nesting. You decide to move to smaller household, you get rid of things. The guy chose to get rid his records 20 years ago. I get it he's writer, so he's keeping his 5000 books.

11. Thomas Casagranda

Thomas Casagranda Forum Resident

There's groups like Gov't Mule, Stones, Beatles, that I'll still buy on CD.

However, I have decluttered, and have a fair amount ripped onto a Bluesound Vault.

12. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

I have my complete music collection on two hard drives, but as you say they are highly unreliable and must be exchanged now and then to prevent losing everything.

13. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

It's slowly becoming more common. Tidal is one here in the states and they do high-res lossless also via MQA (a divisive topic in itself as there's evidence that their high-res offers aren't in fact lossless). Quoboz is another.

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  14. thetman

thetman Forum Resident

very true, I actually keep my music on three drives ( along with photos etc). might be a bit excessive but drives are relatively cheap these days. a lot of time went into burning all those cds. would hate to lose all that info.

eddiel and DTK like this.
  15. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

The stuff I donate is pennies on the dollar anyway. So if I suddenly have an epiphany on that "Resident Alien" CD I got rid of, I'm pretty sure the change in my pocket will cover the re-buy.

I suspect that's not going to happen though.

You do understand of course that vinyls and CD's weren't created and sold by individuals. It's called the music "industry" for a reason.

CD's themselves have a bit of a sketchy past are far as it steamrolling over LP's, whose sales were already dwindling, and their extremely high prices at the time. They also killed off the 45 (at the time) as CD singles never really took off....you wanted those two songs you really like? Gotta buy the whole CD.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
    Lost In The Flood and mr. suit like this.
  16. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

I have three drives for my music archives, same reasoning. One is off-site so I'm not running back into my house like an idiot if it catches fire.

(seriously...I would be dumb enough to do something like that. Gotta prevent the stupid from coming out)

Andrew Smith and RicB like this.
  17. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

I always found this POV quite humorous. I have music files going back to around 1993 starting point - that's (good lord) over twenty-five years ago. My FLAC archives themselves that I started creating maybe in 2006(?) or so, all intact so far.

What are people doing here...throwing their non-backed up laptops against the wall?

18. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

Vinyl records is a small niche anyway, no matter the "vinyl return"

lambfan68 and audiomixer like this.
  19. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

Wow.
    In 1993 I didn't even heard the word "internet"

Lost In The Flood and ARK like this.
  20. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Whatever Tidal is doing, it works for me. I compare a CD to Tidal and they sound the same; I play an MQA file and I am amazed at the difference. So lossless or not, it works for me...

walrus and Gaslight like this.
  21. alexpop

Logic would decree have both ..burn/ but keep originals. Sadly folk just get rid of their once costly artifacts.

ShawnMcCann likes this.
  22. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

I'm not referring to today...I'm referring to fifty years back.

There was an industry as long as I've been alive that was pushing product, and well before then.

I used to record from my stereo, into my sound card. Earliest "rips" for me.

23. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Backups are cheap and easy to do. Surely no one is dumb enough to go all digital without backing up their media drive?

24. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Or I can stream losslessly to my main system through a nice DAC. Why do so many people think streaming automatically means crap Bluetooth or phone speakers?

25. Mirror Image

Mirror Image 200 Years Of Anton Bruckner

My two measly cents: CDs have been a huge part of my life and will continue to be this way, because I could never get into vinyl. People can listen to music however they wish just as long as it makes them happy and they get some kind of fulfillment from it. This article, which essentially tells the readers that ‘collecting’ and stockpiling music is a bad thing, is the reason as to why I stopped reading articles of this nature, because if I’m content with my current situation and I have CDs piling on top of other CD piles, then that’s my prerogative and no one has the right to tell me what I'm doing is wrong. At the end of the day, we buy what we want, we do what we want, and if people were so concerned about other people’s way of living and question their passion, which, in my case would be music, then screw them. Nobody likes someone pointing their finger at them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.