Abbey Road 50th contents, outtakes and sound quality thread .. only

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by audiotom, Aug 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deacon Blues

Deacon Blues Forum Resident

Right. Why not include that? Add a DVD or an online code for videos

2. Peter_R

Peter_R Maple Syrple Gort Staff

I am excited about this. Really looking forward to hearing the new mix, the sessions, and, of course, the 5.1 mix.

While I don't thing every moment the Beatles recorded is worthy of being released, I wish the sessions discs would have more music.

By no means, should everything in the can see the light of day. Furthermore, these packages also have to be mindful of the Beatles's legacy, but there's gotta be at least another 30 minutes of out-takes are worth listening to.
    This is a super deluxe/legacy/big deal edition. A CD can hold well over 70 mins of music. If there's any kind of set that merits discs being maxed out - this is it.

And, given the type of fan that's going to go for the ultra deluxe box, it's worth considering that it's the kind of fan that would be magnanimous of a recording that is a little flawed.

YMMV

3. CraigBic

CraigBic Forum Resident

I don't want my car CD changer to ruin the disc from the book it's why I've started using the 2009 remaster of Sgt Pepper agin in the car instead of the remix. I will be listening to the CD occasionally just not as often as the LP.

4. Gila

Gila Forum Resident

Even though I don't care too much about demos and/or outtakes, I agree and I'm sure a lot of others do too. So far of all these anniversary super deluxe editions the only CD that was 70+ was the one with "Esher Demos". So far all other extra CDs with session stuff were only 50+ minutes. Looking at the tracklist of Abbey Road session CDs, it looks like the same story - two discs with 50+ minutes of outtakes each.

5. Wiserforthetime

Wiserforthetime Forum Resident

I am

6. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

What about burning the content of the set's first CD on a blank disc specially for your car?

Gila likes this.
  7. Octavian

Octavian Forum Resident

Has there ever been an artist that has released this many outtakes on their deluxe versions of their albums?

8. RJD1954

RJD1954 Forum Resident

I am annoyed that a blue-ray only version is available. No DVD?

9. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

The obvious exception is Dylan. He's been releasing EVERYTHING.

10. Peter_R

Peter_R Maple Syrple Gort Staff

Bob Dylan?
    Frank Zappa?
    Raymond Scott?
    Jellyfish?

Anyone else want to chime in?

hodgo and dtuck90 like this.
  11. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

There was no DVD in the White Album box set either.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  12. CraigBic

CraigBic Forum Resident

I could do that and I used to do that but I decided to just use proper CDs at some point, I think it's because I was just using the 2009 CDs which I picked up separately and I didn't really care about them.
    I dunno I haven't had very good luck burning CDs recently, I downloaded the Black Triangle CD a while back and I kept burning dud after dud so I'm not too bothered with all that anymore.

andrewskyDE likes this.
  13. RJD1954

RJD1954 Forum Resident

Yeah I know. THAT annoyed me too!

Gila and andrewskyDE like this.
  14. CraigBic

CraigBic Forum Resident

They must've decided when doing The White Album that the DVD was a redundant waste of space when you are doing a double disc album, though the Pepper Box did also have video so that could have influenced that a little

15. Arnold Grove

Well, theoretically, they could have included a DVD with the original videos for Hey Jude, Revolution, and Lady Madonna. But for whatever reason, they decided to NOT include them. And that policy is holding forth for the upcoming Abbey Road set.

That policy MIGHT change with the Let It Be anniversary set, and they may include some video material in that package. It is even possible that the whole original Let It Be film might be included in the set.

Lewisboogie, audiotom and andrewskyDE like this.
  16. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

(Sorry for repeating myself but) I still think the Let It Be anniversary release might look similar as John's Imagine Ultimate campaign: audio, visual and book all individually.

BeatleJWOL and Arnold Grove like this.
  17. Arnold Grove

No need to apologize for repeating yourself. We all have repeated ourselves too many times to even count... ;)

andrewskyDE likes this.
  18. CraigBic

CraigBic Forum Resident

Are they not on the 1+ Blu-Ray?

Lewisboogie, audiotom and Gila like this.
  19. Gila

Gila Forum Resident

Those videos were released on 1+ in 2015, not so long ago (then again, all 3 Pepper ones were as well). Now some studio footage (that apparently exists?) would have been nice as some hidden content.

Lewisboogie, Ken Wood and andrewskyDE like this.
  20. Arnold Grove

Yes. But so were the videos for Strawberry Fields and Penny Lane in the 1+ package, but they still included an extra disc with them in the Pepper box set.

So for some reason, Apple made a decision to not include any video content for the White album and Abbey Road deluxe sets.

Gila likes this.
  21. Dean R

Dean R Forum Resident

I'm pretty sure the drums were a deliberate mix decision, to give the impression of being stoned.
    Otherwise why would they have mixed them like that

22. Dean R

Dean R Forum Resident

What about all the complaints that were aimed at that mix?

23. bherbert

bherbert Forum Resident

The remixes have been mediocre on the anniversary sets so far IMO. One of the main reasons is Sam Okell. For the possible future Rubber Soul & Revolver remixes Giles needs Paul Hicks to be the engineer. The reason the Love remixes sound so good is because Paul Hicks was the engineer on that project. Simple as that. Listen to the work he did on the Imagine set and compare it to the White Album & Sgt. Pepper remixes & surround mixes.

vivresavie, maui jim, AFOS and 4 others like this.
  24. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

Someone may have mentioned this already, so I apologize in advance if that is the case - but no long lost guitar solo restored to Here Comes the Sun? As an alternate mix?

25. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Forum Resident

I will buy the box set and 2CD, for well, for leave the box set to the car it won´t work :help:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.