Ortofon 2M Series PnP and Concordes for Technics SL-1200GR

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by DoF, Aug 11, 2019.

1. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

Just curious, has anyone seen how this unit lines up on the Technics jig?

DoF likes this.
  2. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

Since the OP has an MC capable phono preamp (Tube Box DS) the recommendation is to go to a LOMC as opposed to a pre-mounted MM. As others have mentioned alignment and VTF / VTA is very easy on a Technics table.

DoF likes this.
  3. DoF

DoF Less is more... Thread Starter

Can you recommend me some video to walk me thru? I'd appreciate it, a lot :)

4. avanti1960

5. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

PnP is not the best option for audiophile sound. You compromise quality for convenience. The best advise I can offer - is speak to KAB. None of us here have his experience and expertise.

AmericanHIFI and DoF like this.
  6. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

OP is trying to stay away from the need to re-install/re-align cartridges every time, that's why he is looking for MM - to be able to just swap styli in the future.

McLover, April Snow and DoF like this.
  7. avanti1960

Understood but the gains in sound quality are easily offset by the minor issues of setup, especially on a Technics table.

Benzion likes this.
  8. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

+1 on skipping pre-aligned solutions and becoming familiar with setting it up yourself. I used to be intimidated by setup and was looking at these same heavily-compromised options. What I would suggest would be an inexpensive digital tracking scale (the one for $12 on Amazon is actually better then the expensive Ortofon one), and a cheap cartridge that can be a backup one day - I used the dirt cheap Ortofon Omega. With a Technics, using the plastic gauge is fine, but you could add a cheap paper protractor as well. You'll get the experience of setup without worrying about damaging an expensive cartridge (not that you would).

About ten minutes later I realized this was a lot easier then I thought, and it was a very liberating feeling knowing I was master of my own cartridge domain.

But even if you don't go this route, just find a dealer to install a good LOMC for you. Don't waste a 1200GR with a Concorde or other MM.

Benzion and Big Blue like this.
  9. McLover

McLover Senior Member

And the 2M Black is too detailed for many, too overpriced. Why buy one? The Audio-Technica high end VM line with the Shibata, is a lot less expensive and as good or better. OM 40 slays 2M Black, Fritz Gyger beats a Shibata. Higher end. Less money. Outtracks the 2M Black to boot. I prefer spending less in this case, to get more. 2M a downgrade.

Benzion, Robert C and snorker like this.
  10. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

This is really the only option I am seriously considering among the type of one-piece/PnP type cartridge solutions for my GR. If I was going to try an Ortofon MM, this would be it.

snorker likes this.
  11. DoF

Good for Technics ? Does it do all?

[​IMG]

12. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

Same here. I do think setup on a fixed headshell is more of a pain, but it’s incredibly easy to do with removable headshells, especially for a Technics turntable with the gauge. The first time I set one up, I was similarly liberated to learn how easy it is.

punkmusick likes this.
  13. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

That’s about 100x more complicated then I would suggest to learn with, but that would work.

14. DoF

What's the easiest, yet effective way, step by step please :)

15. DoF

16. DoF

Funny how this thread goes, started with intention of investing in pnp's, now it seems you talked me out of it :) Thought there's a way round the alignment problem. Guess not. So I'm back to square one.

Need to learn that alignment thing. Too much of a hassle to drive my TT to technician to do the job, and I don't have a trustworthy workshop around here.

PS. but still don't exclude Pro S with OM 40 styli.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
  17. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

These are likely great, but part of their functionality is to set proper pivot-to-spindle distance, which you will not be doing for your GR because it’s already set and is fixed. Also, these will put you in one of the three standard alignment schemes, which are different from what Technics aims for with their gauge. They will work, and you may even prefer them, but you will likely have to angle the cartridge in the headshell to get the alignment right, which IMO is not the direction to go if you are looking for simple.

Honestly, if you do want to keep it simple and use Technics’ alignment scheme, I would stick with the overhang gauge, with the cartridge mounted squarely in the headshell, and use something like these to confirm:

http://www.accutrak.us/technics-1200-mk2.html (I’m not sure if you can get this in Poland, though)

http://www.jkwynn.co.uk/Pics/Technics Alignment Protractor.pdf (you can just print this, it’s what I’ve used to confirm my alignments)

Slick Willie likes this.
  18. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

My perception is that it isn’t so much PnPs people are advising against, but your idea of a 2M Black.

FWIW, I have tried PnPs from Nagaoka, Ortofon and Audio Technica. I have double checked their alignment when they arrived and never had a single problem. They were always as advertised.

I’m personally not crazy about the 2M sound, but I have not heard anything higher than the Blue. The Blue is decent. The Red is abysmal.

McLover and DoF like this.
  19. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

The PnP options from Nagaoka and Audio-Technica are still just on a regular headshell that can be adjusted, though, so you’re really not running any risk of being stuck with bad alignment. The problem with the Ortofon PnPs is that they are fixed in position, not adjustable, so if you get a 2M stylus that is manufactured with the cantilever slightly askew (a problem that is reported shockingly often...), you have to deal with trying to make Ortofon give you a new one that is made correctly.

20. DoF

You're saving me money and frustration, guys. Thanks!

21. Slick Willie

Agreed!

DoF likes this.
  22. Slick Willie

IMO, other than the cart, Technics gives you everthing you need in the box....including interconnects.

23. DoF

You mean this one for example?

[​IMG]

punkmusick likes this.
  24. DoF

I got also headshell and 2M Blue, but separate.

25. Slick Willie

What headshell?