Once Upon a Time in Hollywood SPOILERS! SPOILER THREAD...

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Chris DeVoe, Jul 30, 2019.

1. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Well, who wouldn’t WANT to :D. I did exactly what you want to do when I saw it again. I still didn’t see anything definitive but I bet it’s there. I’m not real good at spotting that sort of thing. Here’s a stupid question, though my wife and a friend of mine didn’t know either: are they referring to Natalie Wood? With Quentin, one can’t go by timelines since they seem to be almost meaningless to him. I’m one that almost never believes stories of someone “accidentally” falling out of a boat and drowning. If there are two or more on a boat and someone falls out, I think first off that there’s an excellent chance at least the boat owner can swim and, second, that person would at least jump in the water and help, or put something in the water for the victim to grab onto. Really, you’re going to stand by and watch a person drown?

So, to me it’s very unlikely Cliff didn’t have a hand in it. He is certainly portrayed as someone that is capable of it. And as I said before, the way she was negatively rambling on, killing her off would probably be an effective and permanent way to shut her up.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
    willwin likes this.
  2. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

Couldn’t help it but I watched a scene on you tube, the bit where Dalton is messing his lines up then go’s back into his trailer and has a mini meltdown, ha.

Absolutely brilliant, does he have more outstanding scenes in the film like that one ? I read a comment saying that was his best scene in the film. Can’t wait to see more.

notesfrom and willwin like this.
  3. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Well, Cliff was experiencing a lot of emotions during that scene, and he kept it all in pretty well. And he knew what these guys were up to, irregardless of whether or not Dern was good with it. So, I think it’s partly because of what you said (even he would be challenged if the whole mob went after him, which was something I thought might happen during viewing one) and second, that he was just tired of the whole scene and Mr. Knife In The Tire Guy was the unfortunate receiver of all Cliff’s frustrations with the whole scene going on. That whole scene was great. Well, for me the whole darn movie was great!

Lightworker and willwin like this.
  4. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

I just saw the movie (been away for 2 weeks). Thank you for labelling the thread who I knew to avoid it. It would have ruined the whole movie for me if I knew about how it ends. Now I'll go back and read the whole thread.

Chris DeVoe, Lightworker and willwin like this.
  5. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Guess you haven’t seen it yet? Go!! Even if you feel you’ve “seen it” by reading all the spoilers, this is a movie you can enjoy anyway imo.

Many here feel Cliff carried much of the film, ie, he has many great lines! Pitt is perfect in the role. Maybe better than Leonardo. Pitt really played this one consistent from A-Z, even during the final scene, or else his character probably would not have worked nearly as well. A guy coming off extremely likeable, while doing his “job”. He keeps everything more or less on a light note no matter what’s up. I would imagine that takes some impressive acting chops. I doubt it’s easy to convey “the whole world is cool no matter what”. Like they say, a good actor can convey what he’s feeling without speaking. Pitt was given a role where he was allowed to do this throughout. Excellent job imo.

6. willwin

willwin Forum Resident

Actually, he has an even better scene just after that. Dicaprio is brilliant in the film, but it's not obvious at first: his character kind of grows on you.

notesfrom, Jrr and Carl80 like this.
  7. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Oh, I couldn’t agree more. And he was fine in this film as well. I just thought he wasn’t utilized nearly as much as I would have liked in either. But in this film, as I said before, anyone could have played it and I wish they would have used him doing something else with a bit more screen time.

willwin likes this.
  8. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

For a brief second I thought it was!

willwin likes this.
  9. Mainline461

Mainline461 Forum Resident

A few box office figures: "One Upon A Time" broke 100 million this weekend, which puts it forth in all time gross for QT in only three weeks. Following #3 Pulp Fiction (107mil) #2 Inglorious Bastards (120mil) and #1 Django Unchained (162mil).

OUATIH has a way to go to beat Pulp Fiction's #1 (from 1994's 107m) adjusted (for inflation) gross of 228 million.

Also the film is now in the black surpassing it's listed budget of 90 million.

I hope this eventually becomes his most successful film because imo he nailed it.

10. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

That was my take as well.

Melvin M Melvin and willwin like this.
  11. willwin

willwin Forum Resident

Also, I'm sure at that point Cliff is more than a little frightened; he's potentially in a very bad situation: what were they going to do to him after making sure he couldn't leave? He had to do something to show them all he was not someone to be trifled with.

Stormrider77, Chris DeVoe and Jrr like this.
  12. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I almost never, ever pay to see a film twice. This was a rare exception. And many of you have said you have or are going back again as well. And obviously word of mouth is going to keep driving patrons. This has the very real potential to be his highest grossing film. My only horse in the game is I want him to keep making films! Maybe this will encourage him to make 15 instead of 10. And I’m sure Sony will give him whatever money he wants. With Miramax gone, I bet it was far more challenging to get funding given how off the beaten path to mainstream his films are. I think he can write his own ticket until if and when he puts out a stinkeroo.

13. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

I live in the UK, it’s not out until next week, gonna try and see it one day.

They have great screen presence Pitt and Di Caprio , must be difficult who to keep an eye on at times! Interesting what people are saying about Pitt putting a great performance in but it just seems every time I see a scene with Di Caprio he is on top form.

Another thing that I’ve noticed since the Hollywood threads started is most people have commented that they really enjoyed the film even though they are not big Tarantino fans which is good news if you have always liked his films.

Jrr and willwin like this.
  14. SunSon

SunSon Lucky Boomer

Cliff was out numbered at the ranch so when he punched the guy at first I thought that was stupid he's going to get everyone worked up.
    But Cliff didn't have a weapon so he probably sized up everyone and punching the guy and taking him hostage was a smart thing to do.

willwin likes this.
  15. Great it’s doing pretty well but that doesn’t mean it’s in the black yet. That’s gross and not bet and doesn’t include marketing. But it will turn a modem profit at least.

willwin and Carl80 like this.
  16. Troyh

Troyh Forum Resident

IIRC, Cliff asks 'Clem' to change the tire. He refuses, hoping the intimidation of the Family will carry him. It wasn't like Cliff just pounced.

17. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Here's another 'interesting take'!
    Think of Brad Pitt as Floyd from "True Romance"!
    When the gangsters come in, and all he can do, when he hears the 'chick-chick' of all the guns is to 'give up all the information'!
    Cliff is the 'anti-Floyd'!

willwin likes this.
  18. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

The tension in the ranch scenes was probably heightened for those who remember that the bossy, hostile Squeeky Fromme later tried to shoot President Ford. It was for me.

willwin and mmars982 like this.
  19. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

He's got a few great scenes, for sure.

willwin and Carl80 like this.
  20. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

And DiCaprio does a great job of playing a guy who has less star power back then than he himself has today. Dalton would not have fit into the shoes of McQueen in The Great Escape. DiCaprio is portraying a guy who is middling and trying to break through as an actor or leading man in conjunction with the changing times. During the Lancer scenes, he's having an identity crisis right before our very eyes, in character, out of character, on set. As David Crosby said at Monterey, 'The times, they are a changin'.'

willwin likes this.
  21. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

Has this opened overseas? Leo, Pitt, and Robbie should bring in big money overseas and make it his biggest film thus far.

willwin and Jrr like this.
  22. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

I think the implication is that if Tex had arrived back at the ranch in time, Cliff would have been shot.

Stormrider77, willwin and GodShifter like this.
  23. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

Most of Europe I think and the UK next week.

24. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

I’m thinking it also works as a little alternative-history nod to Donald “Shorty” Shea.

willwin and GodShifter like this.
  25. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

True. And in Cliff's case, if he disappears, the story changes. And if the Manson crew still has targeted Cielo, then Dalton might have moved, been overseas, or a sitting duck. If they even encounter him.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
    bmoregnr likes this.