Ortofon 2M Series PnP and Concordes for Technics SL-1200GR

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by DoF, Aug 11, 2019.

1. Livewire91

Livewire91 Mammagamma Member

Ortofon Blue is really great imo, way better than the Red. I think you should attach the Blue cart on your headshell that came with the Technics and try it out for like 20 hours and see what you think. Will take a bit longer though to fully break in.

DoF likes this.
  2. DoF

DoF Less is more... Thread Starter

Gonna do it.

Slick Willie and Livewire91 like this.
  3. Livewire91

Aye! and just use the overhang gauge that came with the Technics, you will be fine :)

Big Blue and DoF like this.
  4. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

use the supplied gauge for starters. the hardest part is making sure the cantilever is parallel with the diving board as you sight down the length. use a magnifier. when you look down the length of the cantilever from the front it should be straight and even like hitting a golf ball right down the middle. getting the tip lined up to the end of the diving board is easy.
    in the mean time order this one- and when it arrives you can refine for even better sound.

Best Tractor / Arc Protractor / Mint Tractor / tonearm alignment / Yip Mint Protractor / Mintlp Protractor

Big Blue likes this.
  5. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

The ones I linked in my previous post are the ones I know of. I have not found one on vinylengine.

6. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

Honestly you’re overthinking it by even worrying about a protractor. Tip even with the end of the gauge, cantilever straight down the center of the headshell, it will be aligned correctly.

7. Livewire91

Might be a problem with the Ortofon PnP for Technics.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
    DoF likes this.
  8. DoF

Left one is correct, right?

bever70 and Livewire91 like this.
  9. Livewire91

I would say yes.

10. DoF

11. DoF

My first attempt, using jig and protractor:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Slick Willie and Livewire91 like this.
  12. Livewire91

AT95 seems to be dead on. Did you try the Ortofon Blue yet?

DoF likes this.
  13. DoF

Really? Thought is off a bit. Still got those ssss essss.

Not yet.

Livewire91 likes this.
  14. Livewire91

Just make sure the Cart is straight in the headshell when you use the overhang gauge (screws in a straight parallel line and cart also straight with the headshell). There might be sibilance just because it's a AT95 cart or the pressing just has sibilance. I would use your new AT cartridge that you recently bought or the Ortofon Blue, they should not produce sibilance that easily if they are aligned.

lower right corner in the picture.
    [​IMG]

zombiemodernist and DoF like this.
  15. Livewire91

Tonearm height should also be checked always when changing carts and headshells. I use 0 (zero height) on my Technics headshell + Ortofon Blue cartridge and it's fine. Technics own rubber mat in use.

16. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

Just get the Hifi News Test lp and end this torture.

DoF likes this.
  17. zombiemodernist

zombiemodernist Forum Resident

Yes, this 100%. Proper alignment is only a piece of the puzzle in achieving good tracking. IMO, beyond alignment the most crucial aspect to tracking is stylus profile. So far it seems like OP has an arsenal of standard elliptical cuts. It's best to remember these types of styli will always exhibit some form of IGD and sibilance on troublesome records.

OP's alignment is probably fine if they followed the instructions upthread. With that tier of stylus you just have to expect some failures in tracking, which is why more advanced cuts exist. I like many others would echo that now is the time to enjoy the record and the music. If the tracking is still driving you nuts after a while, you can look into different carts with more advanced styli.

Also keep in mind some pressings are cut too hot to track even with MicroLine styli, and some used pressings are too worn to track properly as well.

bever70, snorker, Big Blue and 2 others like this.
  18. DoF

It turned out, I can :sweating:

19. DoF

Thank you, I think I am doing some progress, got more confidence.

There's no job too immense when you've got
    Confidence

With a 'C' and an 'O' and an 'N' and an 'F'
    And an 'I' and a 'D' and an 'ENCE'
    Put 'em all together and what have you got

Confidence
    Confi ..... Confi .... Confidence

20. Livewire91

Yeah this cart is not sibilant and a great quality cart. Works together well with the Technics.

DoF likes this.
  21. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

Good idea. I've used a Concorde as a reference point too.

As other have mentioned, your overhang/alignment can be correct and you could still hear sibilance or other distortion based on the cartridge, record or some other issue.

Livewire91 and DoF like this.
  22. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

As to this issue, I've found the suspension/compliance make a huge difference in tracking ability. My old Stanton 980LZS with a NOS Stereohedron can track anything, and the stylus shape is not as advanced as a microline (~3uM vs. ~8uM side radius).

zombiemodernist likes this.
  23. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

I actually think it looks like it should come out a tiny bit? Hard to tell in a photo like this because of perspective, but to me, it looks like the end of the cantilever may be even with the gauge, not the stylus tip?

24. DoF

Gonna use this to parallel the cart to the record surface when lowered down:

[​IMG]

25. Livewire91

I need one too, but i will use it to check if the turntable is parallel to the tables surface.

How do you use it to check if cartridge is parallel to record surface?