Parting with CDs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Adam9, Aug 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. schnitzerphilip

schnitzerphilip "Modern Dad" Unlocked Award

[​IMG]

"Hey Siri, play [insert one of 45,000,000 songs on Apple Music here]."

I haven't listened to a CD since 2009 and that's only because the Beatles remasters were only released that way. If not for that one anomaly, I haven't played a CD since 1999.

2. schnitzerphilip

[​IMG]

With Apple Music for $15 a month, I have the biggest music collection on SHF. You can trust me.

3. schnitzerphilip

"Hey Siri, play Whatever, by Oasis."

"Okay, here's Whatever, by Oasis."

"I'm free....."

4. lambfan68

lambfan68 Forum Resident

People can purge their CD collections all they want. More cheap CDs for the rest if us to buy used.

Lowrider75, dalem5467, Taxman and 5 others like this.
  5. schnitzerphilip

Don't do that.

Nothing hurts the recording industry more and curbs creativity and an artist's ability to make a living than used CD's.

6. lambfan68

lambfan68 Forum Resident

Most of my purchases are OOP pressings from the 80s.

7. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Apple Music has 45 million tracks.

Tidal has 60 million. I have a bigger music collection than you.

8. audiotom

audiotom I can not hear a single sound as you scream

I parted with my maxell xlii and TDX sa cassettes of all my 70s early 80s vinyl
    And my Nakamichi LX5 tape deck.

timind likes this.
  9. ClassicalCD

ClassicalCD Make audio great again

I trust you have the lossiest, worst sounding collection on SHF.

10. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

CDs is just another format that I've chosen to part with, like I did with LPs when CDs came out, or 8-Tracks when Cassettes came out.

To each their own, as long as we still have and love our music!

Starwanderer and timind like this.
  11. schnitzerphilip

Doesn't matter. A used copy of Appetite For Destruction prevents you from buying a new copy of Appetite For Destruction. Hurts labels and artists.

12. schnitzerphilip

I just signed up for a Tidal trial. So I now have 105 million tracks.

Bend the knee, Gaslight.

13. schnitzerphilip

That's forum mythology.

Streamed tracks sound superior to physical media on audio equipment optimized for Streaming. Your 1985 Marantz rack system may be a nice conversation piece, but it cannot compare to a good Streaming setup.

Bingo Bongo likes this.
  14. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

Guess I'd better go jump off a bridge, some random dude on the internet has a bigger music collection than me. Life just ain't worth livin' no mo'!

15. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Apart from the big shame that a lot of good records will have been thrown out then, they were great days for buyers. I got a lot of similar bargains, including an original Unknown Pleasures too! It lasted through the entire 90s to around 2012 for me. I still get the occasional bargain, but they are few and far between. Records were everywhere cheap then.

Eric_Generic likes this.
  16. bvb1123

bvb1123 Rock and Roll Martian

I have Spotify, Tidal, and Amazon Music Unlimited. I stream A LOT. But I still buy around 15 CDs a month, usually more. Both new and used. If I find a band, album, or song on streaming I like I have a tendency to buy it. I know that no matter how much I stream the artists aren't getting crap so I like to purchase their album (usually new, especially if it's a newer band just starting out). You can have my CDs when you pry them from my cold, dead hands.

17. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Usurper!

bvb1123 likes this.
  18. Scott Davies

Scott Davies Forum Resident

Great, another ridiculous story about how CD's are the worst thing ever in music. It's amusing how this mass hysteria gets started and how people convince themselves the bandwagon is the place to be. How nice that you have your collection on multiple hard drives scattered across various states. How nice that you haven't listened to a CD in 20 years and that somehow makes you a progressive person. The more I read the ignorant responses on threads of people who think renting their music from a streaming service makes them somehow smarter than those who prefer to own a physical copy for multitudes of good reasons, the more I'm reaffirmed that audiophiles are collectors, not streamers. I don't care if you can get an HD stream here or there, diehard fans on any subject are collectors. And when the stream of one of your favorite songs disappears for whatever reason, maybe you can borrow the digital file from one of your buddy's hard drives once it's FedEx'd back from the secret underground location in another state. I can't imagine the nominal space anyone saves by dispensing with their music catalog makes much difference unless you've downsized to a considerably smaller home for whatever circumstance. I mean, if people have entire rooms taken up by music then perhaps they were a form of shopaholic, but I suspect most people who collect the music they love(d) has a modest sized collection that may take up part of a wall or a couple corners here or there. But this constant "I'm so smart because I dumped my physical music collection in favor of a faceless digital back up or stream" is really pathetic.

coepc, thefxc, Lowrider75 and 14 others like this.
  19. Scott Davies

Scott Davies Forum Resident

No, you don't have a collection at all. You are just paying rent.

Sajomo, thefxc, RSteven and 6 others like this.
  20. dh46374

dh46374 Forum Resident

I don't think that the author of that article is part of a conspiracy or anything, so don't accuse me of that. However, once the major music groups, Sony, Universal and Warner, stop selling cds I expect streaming prices to start a steady rise. Hang on to those cds, streaming prices may get higher than you want to pay.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
  21. baptistbusman

baptistbusman Compact Disc Advocate

I hate subjects like this. If you don’t want a collection of CDs you don’t want, don’t buy crap music that goes out of style.

22. baptistbusman

baptistbusman Compact Disc Advocate

This is my favorite post of all time! Thanks!

23. aravel

aravel starchitect...then, father!

::: All My cds are kept inside safe places, shelves, tables, boxes, indivdually housed inside cd-sized poly bags, dust-free...digipaks and cardsleeves have same procedure like if they were mini-Lps (cds inside inner white envelopes, outside the sleeve, etc)...I even still have a bunch of US.imports with long-box packages, still in shrink, as they used to sold them in my country in the early days...I love to pick one CD from 80's, 90's whatever decade, play it in a decent volume, and I also love to play Lps, Cassettes, streaming songs in the phone, mp3s while working, I don't know...why get ride of something that contains something you like?

coepc likes this.
  24. I would be lost without my collection.

ClassicalCD and aravel like this.
  25. DME1061

DME1061 Forum Resident

Agree 100%…statements by the author above reeks of snobbery and superiority. (You know.....us idiots who buy a physical music format are so out of touch). Actually, I have three CD players. One in my basement that I use while I ride my exercise bike, one portable and one a few feet away from me in my TV room as I'm writing this. I'll be using that one shortly to listen to a Spacemen 3 CD that I picked up used (maybe one the author sold :laugh:) for $3.99 the other day from my favorite record store. And for those who are tired of their CDs......please continue to dump your collections for my benefit. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.