Most confusing/convoluted plots of all time

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Rocker, Aug 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member Thread Starter

What are your choices for some movies, TV series, video games, etc, with incredibly confusing/convoluted plots? Let the insanity begin!

My vote goes to the Metal Gear series of video games. Fans will already know exactly what I'm talking about, but for anyone who's not familiar with the series... let's just say that, after completing all 8 main games in the franchise, I watched a 3 1/2 hour "summary" video on YouTube to try and get everything straight... and afterwards, I still have questions. o_O

2. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

I vote for Dark on Netflix.

Chip Z, DLD, FredHubbard and 6 others like this.
  3. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

4. Cokelike-

Cokelike- Forum Resident

I'm currently watching and ... yeah, haha, seriously. I guess somewhere around episode 5 I just made the decision to not even care if I could follow and understand all the threads and plotlines happening. Despite this, I'm still hooked. Acting is reasonably good, premise is interesting (love a good time travel story), and it sure can't be accused of being too slowly paced. If anything, it's almost too fast. Into season 2 now, and still not sure I could tell you everyone's name and who they're related too. Maybe most of them. Great show though, so far. The intro theme song spooked me on first hearing in a way I hadn't felt since Unsolved Mysteries. Just enjoying the ride on this one.

5. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Quantum of Solace

6. Halfwit

Halfwit Forum Resident

The Big Sleep

7. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member Thread Starter

Can't forget The X-Files...

Lost In The Flood and eric777 like this.
  8. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

1965's Mirage with Gregory Peck.

I was around ten when I first saw it on TV in reruns and it took about 5 viewings over a 30 year span before I could figure out the plot. Once I did, I now think it's a brilliant movie and quite entertaining.

JoeOnWheels likes this.
  9. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

Maybe I'm a doofus but I had a hard time following Castle Rock on Hulu. It only ever clicked once I YouTubed some explanations.

Scotian and Kiko1974 like this.
  10. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

Donnie Darko wins in a landslide.

11. Among current TV programs, Westworld.

12. Pete Norman

Pete Norman Forum Resident

um, Twin Peaks...

13. I recall that Miami Vice could be hard to follow if you missed the opening scenes.

14. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

The film Wicker Park. The story switches present and past back and forth so quickly sometimes without noticing.

15. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Yeah, with a show like Dark, one sometimes just has to enjoy it in the moment and not constantly try to figure out what is happening. Season two answered a few questions but not all. I think they could have cut the amount of convolution in half and still had a perfectly intriguing story. Still, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

16. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

17. Hershiser

Hershiser Forum Resident

YES, this was the first film that came into my mind as well!

Steve Litos, rmath84 and Halfwit like this.
  18. This one

19. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

God, yes. This is one of these shows where I don't even dare getting up to get a glass of water or go to the toilet because I'm sure to miss some pieces of the puzzle. Love the show.

Cokelike- likes this.
  20. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

The owls are not what they seem.

Vidiot, smokeverbs and royzak2000 like this.
  21. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

Oh, right, the OP. I found "The Witches of Eastwick" to be extremely confusing and very weirdly paced. Still don't know what the actual **** is even going on in that film.

All Down The Line likes this.
  22. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Not that hard to follow.

23. FACE OF BOE

FACE OF BOE Forum Resident

Arrival

DLD likes this.
  24. Gill-man

Gill-man Forum Resident

Daytime Soap Operas over the decades have every single one of these beat. Convoluted, confusing plots are part of their MO.

seed_drill and Ginger Ale like this.
  25. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Some that come to mind: Dark, Legion, Lost, Counterpart, + almost any spy-based drama.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.