Parting with CDs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Adam9, Aug 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

that's why you need to buy 2 one to play with. : )

2. Michael

HA HA HA !

audiomixer likes this.
  3. Michael

HA HA! good one...

audiomixer likes this.
  4. Michael

Geez, my wife must be an angel...she never ever complains about my collections...I am truly blessed. I have to ask her to check out my new additions....Honey, yes? see what I got today in the mail today? Oh, that's nice...wait! you didn't even check it out! OK, let me see...nice! as walks away... LOL! but, she appreciates the quality and knows the value as she tells me so...and I love her!

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
  5. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

I believe in letting people live their lives anyway they want--with the obvious caveat that they allow others to do same.
    But these days there is a class of people who decide to do something and rather than just do it, they feel the need to get everyone to do the same thing. They talk about how "liberating" it is but I wonder sometimes if they aren't just miserable scolds who want everyone to be as miserable as they are.

6. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Good stuff. Spacemen 3 were great.

DME1061 likes this.
  7. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

I listened to a few of my favourite pieces
    of music on Tidal (stuff that I own CDs of)
    and these were supposed to be Hi-def tracks
    or whatever. The first thing I noticed was the

sound quality was far below par ~ this was
    premium content, mind. The dynamic range
    of the streamed music was crushed to hell
    and I thought to myself, people are getting
    rid of their
    CDs they invested in over decades,
    so they can turn around and
    pay again (and
    again) for the same music they just got rid of,
    only now it isn't even as good of sound quality
    as what they had before ?
    And I suddenly
    realised something - the sound quality is just
    going to keep on diminishing, gradually and
    deliberately, in order to devalue the
    product for
    which the labels have to pay artists' royalties,
    so that when they roll-out A.I. music and offer
    it in very excellent sound quality, their new
    royalty-free product will sound so much better
    than the crappy sounding music that they've
    effectively de-sensitised people's ears

to grow accustomed to, no one in the world
    will complain when all of that "inferior" music

people have been listening to their entire lives
    is suddely no longer available on streaming
    services. Getting rid of artist-created music
    will be a win-win for the industry
    giants ~ not
    only do they no
    longer have the cost of
    manufacturing physical product, they will
    soon no longer have to be paying out any

artist royalties either.
    The owner of the A.I.,
    the labels themselves,
    own all rights to whatever music the A.I
    creates.
    Gone first are the
    records, then gone will be
    the music recorded by artists whom the labels
    are forced to pay for the music they provide.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
    ClassicalCD likes this.
  8. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I would be lost in my collection without the alphabet.

9. negative1

negative1 80s retro fan

I'm not parting with my cd's, but i am slowing down a lot
    in accumulating them.

There are still ones that i can't help buying if it's to complete a collection.
    So, those are ones that i probably will never listen to.

I try to buy ones with things that i haven't heard before, but digital
    downloads takes care of 95% of everything new that i care about.

Sometimes i get the deluxe versions just for the art, books, and other
    assorted items, and not even the music.

later

Taxman, Grant, aravel and 1 other person like this.
  10. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

With all due respect, I have four or five copies of certain titles of the same CD ( all purchased new) in my collection,.
    If I stumble across a used copy of something I want that's selling for a fraction of the cost of new, I'm buying it. Too bad,
    Should people NOT buy used cars because the company (or the worker) who made money from it the first time isn't getting another check?
    Please.

wrappedinsky and ARK like this.
  11. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Not parting with **** here! I actually grew up with CD’s in the 1980’s and although my father had a record player never gave it much thought. After all this loudness wars BS the last 20 years or so I finally purchased a turntable in around 2013 and the rest is history. Once I heard how much better the rock classics that I had heard for years on CD sounded on vinyl I started building a vast vinyl collection. Now don’t get me wrong I still enjoy CD’s on my second system and many sound spectacular. I burn CDs to my computer to transfer to my iPod for the car. One of my biggest regrets was tossing all of the jewel cases and going with the notebooks for storage. since then I’ve bought another 500-1000 CDs. I still consume many CD’s (especially older ones) and love buying old ones dirt cheap. Physical media all the way!!!!

ShawnMcCann, aravel and Man at C&A like this.
  12. I still buy CDs as I can rip them in any format I want (for me it's FLAC).

I then use my printer and it's software to scane each page of the CD booklet. Then, using the same software I create a PDF booklet. iTunes include a PDF booklet with a few albums, but not enough albums on there come with a PDF booklet.

When I heard that iTunes was closing I quickly downloaded my three favourite Oasis albums as I'm guessing the PDF booklets that come with them will disappear when iTunes stops its current service.

I then make an album for them on my phone. I can then also view them easily on a phone, laptop or desktop.

In most cases I then sell the CD, unless it's a CD that's fairly rare.

13. Daven23

Daven23 Forum Resident

Well this guys collection consists of U2, Collective Soul and Oasis. Modest Mouse was apparently his crowning jewel. No wonder he can’t sell this junk and doesn’t want it anymore. Decent CDs are still sellable to a point. But sadly most music CDs of, and made between 1989-2009 are not worth anything.

Jam757, JoeF. and Man at C&A like this.
  14. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Exactly.

15. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Which means that CDs issued by audiophile labels and also such reissue labels as One Way Records, Wounded Bird, Bear Family, Ace, Collector's Choice Music, lots of stuff on Collectables, Demon/Edsel, Repertoire, Sundazed, lots of Varese Sarabande reissues, etc. that when their titles go out of print, the resale value goes huge are discs you keep and also first pressing CD issues.

ShawnMcCann likes this.
  16. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

[​IMG]

17. Sounds like the writer needs a bigger home.

Jam757 likes this.
  18. I've never had any CD on those labels, although I'm aware they're worth more, and I'd probably keep them.

I find myself in an unusual situation. I like digital music (although I know CDs are digital as well) but still crave artwork and liner notes, lyrics, pictures etc.

The fact that I can only view them on a digital devices, it doesn't bother me.

19. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

Don't think there's much respect due for a troll like that. Who gives a damn if Axr Lose misses out on the fifteen cents of royalties he would get from the sale of an Appetite CD? Digital rights is a gray area, but secondhand media sales are perfectly legal. (I believe they tried to outlaw them in the UK a few years back and that backfired tremendously.) There's nothing wrong with buying used. If you feel guilty about it, go to that musician's concert and buy a T-shirt. Or if they're not touring, find some way to send them your cash directly. Re-route your paychecks directly to them.

And to answer your second question, people shouldn't buy cars at all. If nobody drove, there would be no car accidents. See? I'm a genius! I think we should all walk to the local used CD store and deprive artists of their royalties some more. That would be awesome.

20. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

So is streaming. But that doesn't stop people from taking the pitchforks out anyway.

As for this particular article...a whole lotta butt hurt going on. You'd think this guy actually went to these people's homes and used their CD's for target practice.

Lost In The Flood and cubbykat like this.
  21. mmart1

mmart1 Forum Resident

I've been thinking about my collections lately (vinyl, dvd/blu-ray, CD) and I'm getting closer to parting with them. They've taken on a certain "heaviness" in the back of my mind, especially as I close in on 50 years old. Thousands of things stored, cataloged, untouched, minimally touched, taking up space. My father passed away and dealing disposing of his possessions was a chore -- and he had much less than I do. I'd hate to leave all that work to my son or my wife. I see it with my in-laws too: garages and basements full of things all the kids consider junk and a burden that will be dealt with on their passing. Not sure what I'll end up doing. It might be satisfying to sell or give them to someone else that would enjoy them.

That said, I don't begrudge anyone their collections, nor do I want to sound like I'm suggesting others should do as I do. Whatever makes you happy is best for you.

Starwanderer, Adam9 and cubbykat like this.
  22. I detest streaming. Even with the premium version of Spotify you only get around 320kbps.

You also have to have an internet connection to access it as well. I hate this way of not being able to own your own music yourself.

When I listen to music I want full CD quality, or even high resolution.

23. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

I don't pick up on too much self-importance from this article, honestly. I get the feeling this guy never really liked CDs but collected them "just because", until one day he finally realized that he didn't care. It's presented in a somewhat snobbish manner because CDs are generally looked down upon. But I doubt this article was meant in a malicious manner. He's pretty much making money off a commonly-held belief. From our perspective as people who like the poorly-regarded object in question, though, the article falls apart under scrutiny. Guy Cleans House, Lives To Tell Tale.

I have no issues with someone liking streaming. All the reasons given for preferring it are valid. I personally find it very boring and unrewarding. I don't feel connected to the music in the same way. The only streaming I do is on YouTube, and nine times out of ten it's an album I either planned to buy on CD anyway, or to determine whether or not I want to buy it on CD - and the answer usually ends up being yes, anyway. (The tenth time is to listen to stand-up comedy which is usually not available on CD anyway, and lossless doesn't really matter when your frequency range includes little besides voice and clapping.)

Andrew Smith likes this.
  24. blewmaearsout

blewmaearsout Forum Resident

I keep reading the title of this thread as Partying with CDs.

25. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

I don't see it either....seems more like the musings of a guy who just wants to downsize the storage space required for his music. Will he regret it in ten year's time? Who knows.

As for myself, I buy vinyl and CD's but I also have digital files. I don't feel any less connected to them than my CD's and it's been enough years now where the nostalgia factor now kicks in where I think about the format I first heard an album on, or the device I used to play it during its peak usage.

It's interesting how the mind works as the years pass, and how those memories solidify.

Starwanderer, ShawnMcCann and Grant like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.