Parting with CDs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Adam9, Aug 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. reddyempower

reddyempower Forum Resident

I wouldn't call it snobbery or superiority, just self indulgence. He takes an easily defended position on a non-sensitive issue and writes a piece full of opinions many readers are likely to share.

I have three CD players myself, 4 if you count my computer, but plenty of readers (not here) will nod their heads in agreement at having no player or one that's long since been permanently stashed.

His style is not unengaging, but it's nothing to take seriously.

2. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

I enjoyed the article for the most part until the opinionated part at the end about what to keep and what to let go. Cool thread! To each his own! I love all formats although I don’t have a set up to use HD downloads. I play vinyl or SACD’s most of the time and occasionally CD’s too. CD’s really shine with the Onkyo 9010.

3. ronm

ronm audiofreak

I have a modest collection of lps and CDs (perhaps 500 of each). I'm going to cull them both soon.It has nothing to do with feelings one way or another.It has everything to do with "if I haven't listened to it in five years... I'm probably never going to listen to it again.I need the space more than memories at this point of my life.

Ken K likes this.
  4. Did you have them backed-up twice on two separate devices? Also, don't forget cloud storage.

5. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

I rip all my CDs to FLAC and do all my playing on my computer, through flat-response studio headphones. To me, there's a much greater connection to managing my own file library as opposed to using a pre-made one. I guess it has something to do with the work that I've put into it. I have them organized the way I want them, with the artwork and the notes that I want, etc. And that's not even touching on the fact that I actually have the CD and its artwork in addition to the files.

I have a bunch of records, but my turntable has been in a box since mid-May and I have no desire at the moment to even begin looking for it. Most of the records that I accumulated were just impulse purchases and I would say that I haven't even put around 30% of them on the turntable. When I do listen to records, I'm always doing something else (reading a book, on the computer, playing a game, etc.) so I don't end up getting the "vinyl experience". The sound quality is an improvement over CDs in some cases, but I have no affection toward hum, crackle, IGD, etc. and view them all as inconveniences. It was fun and cool for a while, but once the novelty wore off, I realized... "I think I just spent a few hundred bucks on stuff I'm not going to get my money's worth out of".

Which seems to be roughly what the guy in this article has concluded... albeit his revelation was a bit more delayed. The big difference is that records are nowadays considered the highest echelon of music listening, with streaming being the only other contender. Cassettes are for hipsters and CDs are worthless, in the public eye. If I wrote an article about how I decided to pare down my record collection, it would get a lot more negative attention because it's not cool to bash vinyls, man. But only losers on audio nerd websites care about CDs. They're an easy target, and the defenders are fighting a losing battle. Hence, a thread about a fluff-piece article has reached ten pages in less than 36 hours.

6. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

7. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

That quote specified was a sarcastic/snarky jab at what seems to be the prevailing wisdom among "the normal people" - I am certainly very grateful that labels are continuing to release CDs to please the few, despite the many not caring. I believe I have at least one Cherry Red CD (do they also go by the name Esoteric? The two names are overlapping in my head) and I'm glad to have it.

Even putting aside labels and the financial/logistical side of it, some people (as shown here) just like CDs. One of my favorite artists has been funding his upcoming album by putting out CDs of unreleased/download-only material. They're homemade CD-Rs with laser-printer artwork, but there's still enough people who want it to make it worth his time. And, more important, he cares about giving physical media to the people who want it. (And he's also a fan of physical media as well, which helps.)

It's the same deal with a lot of things - the people who says "omigawd, why do you do that???" are annoying and not worth dealing with, and thus the most prominent voices become the norm over time. Guys, live 'n' let live. It's something that makes people happy. If you're upset by that, the problem lies with you.

Crimson Witch likes this.
  8. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

9. Has anybody in the UK especially (or anybody anywhere) heard of Music Magpie?

I sold my entire CD collection to them about three years ago, and made a tidy sum.

They always want people to sell them CDs.

www.musicmagpie.co.uk

eddiel likes this.
  10. Crimson Witch

I'm not sure I am following you here.
    Are you saying you think I may have
    misunderstood the [portion of ] your
    comment that I quoted ?

If you were being sarcastic, I guess I
    missed it !

There is a lot of doom prophesying
    and it is funny to me when one indep-
    endent label in the last six years has
    released thousands of new discs, some
    vinyl LP,.a few 7" singles, but mostly
    CDs ~ multiply that by the actual
    number in each print run for every title

and one "little guy" is pressing a million
    new discs into market. It's funny because
    no one really cares what Sony does if
    they are irrelevant in A or B market.

11. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All!

If the guy wants to downsize due to space maybe he should also get rid of his sofa.

You don’t really need a physical sofa these days, you can just sit on some cushions on the floor and look at a hi-res photo of a sofa on the internet.

12. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

With Quboz and Tidal, you get true lossless streaming. I strongly dislike streaming, but I do use it on occasion to sample things I may want to buy.

I agree. I prefer to have music available on MY terms, and I don't want it to suddenly disappear without warning or explaination. I also want to pick my own mastering.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
    Andrew Smith and Crimson Witch like this.
  13. Crimson Witch

Lossless,.but DR squashed.

14. Grant

You said it perfectly! All the stream-only crowd are doing is renting music. But, I guess you just have to let people do what they want. All we can do is warn them.:shrug:

ShawnMcCann likes this.
  15. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

Living in Timbuktu, CD-buying is becoming difficult due to new PTT reg's. My daughter is arriving for a visit next week and she'll have 10 or 12 CD's for me that I've had delivered to her in the USA.

So, I've been downloading more; WAV and FLAC from Bandcamp, 7Digital and other outlets. I burn CDR's and assemble artwork. Those little projects are enjoyable for me and make me feel connected to the music. If I just have it digitally, I tend to forget about it. One of the CD's my daughter is bringing is Chris Forsythe's All Time Present. I downloaded FLAC files when I ordered it from Bandcamp and listened once or twice, but then it slipped out of mind. I ordered a copy of the new Willie Nelson album, but after getting refunds for other packages that were returned to European vendors, I found a free FLAC download and did a CDR project. The official disc still hasn't arrived, and I'm doubting that it ever will.

Streaming? Am I too old to adapt to a new interface, or just too stubborn? I don't know. I will eventually jump on the big ol' bandwagon... maybe I'll enjoy it, but personally, that "connection" to the music will not be the same.

I didn't read much of the article. I could probably write a better one and a funnier one from that guy's POV if I wanted to. I understand the mindset. I could easily get rid of my modest DVD collection, even though most of the shows and movies aren't even on Netflix. I look at that shelf and the disorganized stacks underneath the TV as clutter. But my music room? 1,000 45's, 3,000 LP's and 10,000 CD's? Not clutter. Most definitely not clutter.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
  16. Exactly, the music should belong to the individual. I never want to rely on an internet connection for my music.

Adam9, ShawnMcCann and Grant like this.
  17. Grant

And, it can all go away with a blink of an eye. You can say that will never happen, but look at what happened with the Universal fire. I'm sure a lot of people also thought the music disappearing in a fire would never happen. Think about it.

ShawnMcCann likes this.
  18. Grant

Well, I do rely on an internet connection to buy downloads, but at least once it's in my possession, I can do what I will with it, and I don't need a stinkin' internet or key to play them.

19. Grant

Not always.

Crimson Witch likes this.
  20. Yes, and they have control on what you can and can't listen to. For me, streaming is just a "try before you buy" service.

I have the free version of Spotify.

Crimson Witch and Grant like this.
  21. davers

davers Forum Resident

This is either sarcasm or a quote from '90s...right?

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  22. Grant

That's why I at least attach the album covers to my files. I don't burn CD-Rs, and haven't for a decade, but I totally understand. Working with the files and artwork does provide a connection to the music. Some people here find that part of it boring and a chore, but, like you, it relaxes me.

23. Nah! You're OK thanks. I'll give it a miss.

24. Grant

I think the digital fans are finally fighting back against the "vinyls" folks and the reality that the CD is going away".

In fact, when I finally get caught up reading this forum, i'm going to rip a CD. :)

25. For people who rip their CDs to their hard drives, I don't understand the negativity regarding hard drives. I've been using them (both in the laptop and an external hard drive) since around 2007.

Not one has ever failed on me. As it is I always keep my music library backed-up on two separate devices.

SSDs (solid state drives) are apparently going to be the next big thing we'll see soon, and they're supposed to be even more reliable than HDDs.

Grant likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.