Seeking recommendations for sanely-priced full-range speakers

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Benzion, Aug 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

hvbias, Ezd and Benzion like this.
  2. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident Thread Starter

Their flagship model does look nice, but they're not sold in the US, no dealers.

3. Benzion

Reading the replies in this thread makes me realize it more and more. As I've stated in the initial post - I'm only looking for another pair out of curiosity, not out of pronounced need, hence the relatively low budget. If I felt a need for a pair speakers, my budget would be different.

Ezd likes this.
  4. Benzion

These look gorgeous. From reading their description, it sounds like the description of Zu - voice-centered.

5. enginedr

enginedr Its all good

Is your curiosity based on another reference that you heard or do you feel your system is lacking something ? Ben @ High End Audio set up a small sound room with Audio Note K s he is in Brooklyn And in on Sundays 718 - 377 -8010 listening to other system gives you a good way to see where you want to go .

6. Helom

Helom Forum member

Your goal is really not impossible but will likely require pre-owned speakers or
    some DIY.

Here's a near full-range Madisound kit well within your budget. You could easily afford to have a woodworker assemble the cabs if you don't want to mess with that part:
    Fostex BK-20 Folded Horn Kit - Pair

This particular kit might not fit your needs, however, the folks at Madisound or Parts Express might know of some that do, even if they don't sell them. I imagine that for $1K you could have a cabinet-maker build you a plywood cabinet based on just about any blueprint you choose. Veneering might be out of your budget but a Birch plywood cab can look great with a simple stain job.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  7. enginedr

enginedr Its all good

I took the Madisound route I had Lee Taylor build me some cabinets for the Klang & Ton NADA kit . Paired with 4 REL Q201e subs in a distributed bass array I get true full range sound and great bass response in my room . I am very happy with this DIY solution .

displayname, SandAndGlass and Helom like this.
  8. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

bhazen likes this.
  9. Helom

Helom Forum member

10. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Unfortunately with single driver speakers, the cabinet design is everything.

I would like to play with some of the ones with really large horns.

But here is a link to some Google images, which could serve to illustrate the different single driver speakers and their different style cabinet designs.

The O.P. might be able to get some other ideas here?

JMAC likes this.
  11. russk

russk Forum Resident

In a room like you had pictured I would definitely be looking at actives. They tend give you more range for the size and the DSP can make a big difference. Not as fun gear wise though but for the money they are hard to beat for situations like yours.

12. Benzion

My curiosity is based on the situation I described in the original post. I bought a new SET amp with 300B's, and have it paired with Zu Omen DW II's. The combo sounds like liquid gold with acoustic music, and like liquid manure with electric. I'm wondering what is the biggest contributor to the latter - the amp, or the speakers. Some people here have SET amps that supposedly are as good with electric as with acoustic music, some also think that it's probably more attributable to the speakers. Now, I'm definitely keeping the amp - what it does for acoustic jazz alone is worth it. I was curious to try another set of single-driver speakers, without a super-tweeter as the Zu's have, to see if it would sound different. Just to satisfy my curiosity I don't want to spend a lot of money - i.e more than I spent on the Zu's. Again to reiterate - I do not need another pair of speakers, I'd just be willing to spend a few bucks on something else out of curiosity.

SandAndGlass and TSWisla like this.
  13. enginedr

enginedr Its all good

I would have the amp checked out first by a competent tech . Ben Jacoby @ High End Audio Repair is in your area 1 -718 377-8010 pay him for his time it will be well worth it .
    A 97 DB 12 ohm speaker should not have that problem

14. k4rstar

k4rstar Well-Known Member

Good luck with that.

15. Benzion

The amp was just hand-built for me, it's brand new.

16. enginedr

enginedr Its all good

New means nothing . If a wrong part was installed or the designer made a mistake Ben will point it out . He is a big 300b fan and amp designer
    One more thing what is the amp plugged into ? That power conditioner or direct to the wall ?

17. Benzion

Amp is plugged into a power conditioner, power conditioner is plugged into a voltage regulator. With all due respect to Ben, what makes you so sure he is more knowledgeable than a company that has received numerous awards for their amps and is constantly mentioned in TAS and Stereophile and whatnot?

SandAndGlass likes this.
  18. enginedr

enginedr Its all good

Try plugging the amp direct to the wall use a large gauge wire unshielded power cord . And as for Ben he has corrected many a mistake I can not discus this on a open forum

19. beowulf

beowulf Forum Resident

Have you seen the build quality of the Lii Audio stuff? Pretty amazing! They're going crazy on the Decware forums over the Lii drivers. Steve has built 2 pair of open baffles recently, one with some vintage drivers very similar to the Lii 15 (which Randy from Caintuck Audio then built and is offering the Lii 15's on his site). Now Steve has built a set of OB's using Lii's top drivers the Crystal-10 and is saying they are just about the best ones he's ever heard.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

@Benzion - are you available the first weekend of October? Decfest is coming and all Steve's speakers and amps will be available for auditioning (he will have several single drivers, open baffles and even Omega's speakers there to listen to). He opens his shop up and lots of people come out to BBQ, drink beer and listen to hi-fi ... a lot of people even camp in his yard over that weekend, worth the trip if you have some time.

Dan Steele and SandAndGlass like this.
  20. beowulf

beowulf Forum Resident

displayname, SandAndGlass and Benzion like this.
  21. Benzion

I like the look of these, although i'd choose a different, darker finish, perhaps Walnut.

beowulf and SandAndGlass like this.
  22. Subagent

Subagent down the rabbit hole, they argue over esoterica

Do you know if there are any specifications published for this configuration? I can't locate anything on the site. Really interesting execution a of single driver speaker- thanks for sharing.

23. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

I have never heard Decware speakers but I am a converted fan with his amps.

Sounds to me that your amp is fine and your Zu DWs are fine and both are doing what they can do together.

I like the Decware speaker design. It is more along the general cabinet designs that I am partial to.

The problem is, that with electric, EDM and dubstep, you need large cabinets to makes these Genera's work.

My A7's do a wonderful job with the Line Magnetic 518iA and its 22-Watts of SET magic. They will take you to the moon, but even then, I still use a large 15" passive horn loaded commercial subwoofer.

I think that are just reasonable limits on what you can accomplish in your N.Y.C. apartment "large" sound wise.

The Decware's may be a top choice for your consideration.

displayname, Ezd and Benzion like this.
  24. JackG

JackG Forum Resident

The Heresy III sound great on all fare with my ~3.5 watt TubeCube | 7 (SE EL84s), but they're not what I'd call full-range (my definition of which is similar to how I understand Benzion's - at least 40Hz at useable levels). I added a pair of small, inexpensive subs to extend well below 40Hz and allow proper bass balance independent of speaker position. The sealed rolloff of the HIII makes getting a good blend pretty easy (even for an audiophile!) given the standard 12dB/oct low pass on a typical sub.

McLover and SandAndGlass like this.
  25. beowulf

beowulf Forum Resident

Yeah, I noticed that too. The specs of the Crystal-10 drivers can be found here. I've heard they are really responsive in their customer support though. I'll try dropping them a line later today and report back.

Subagent and SandAndGlass like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.