Denis Leary-What's your opinion on his acting in films?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Twelvepitch, Aug 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

Well so did Bill Mahar, and I love his Comedy.
    I LMAO watching Leary's 'No Cure for Cancer' Comedy Special and read one of his books that was also funny. Also, a Christmas Special he did a few years ago on Comedy Central was funny-IMO, but then again, I love taking shots at Holiday Traditions(upsets the Religious People and Christmas is just a Commercial Holiday anyways where all people care about is running out now on Thanksgiving Day/Evening(as what used to be done on Black Friday) to trample over each other to get a $400 Large Screen TV and other Deals. I also think 'Bad Santa' is the Best Christmas Movie ever made(or tied with Die Hard).

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
    Twelvepitch likes this.
  2. TheSeldomSeenKid

Sorry, but I do not concur based on 'Rescue Me' as he showed some Great Range playing a person with Alcohol Problems and when he saw Ghosts of People he could not save in Fires(very emotional). Also, loved the scene where his Dad Died when taking him to a Baseball Game. Very Touching and I am an unemotional person. The mix of Comedy and Tragedy on 'Rescue Me' only gets done well with Great Acting. A Very Dark Show that is what I like in a Drama and mixes in Dark Comedy(like was done in 'Breaking Bad').

I have read criticism of his acting on 'Animal Kingdom' and I have not seen that show(really wanted to, but missed the first Season and just figured to wait until the Series ends to watch it from Start to Finish like I did with 'The Sopranos'). It does seem that the criticism of his Acting on 'AK' is widespread enough to be true. Maybe, his heart was not into it, like the Shows he Created and Starred in.

I also loved the short run of 'Sex Drugs and Rock & Roll' a few years ago on FX. The Actress, who played his Daughter on that Show was really good. Wish the Series would have had a few more Seasons, but Ratings must have been real low when FX cancels a Series, as FX usually has some patience to let a Series find an audience(despite their mistake on dropping 'Damages' that was a Great Show and ranks in my Top 10 Drama Series, along with 'Rescue Me').

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
    showtaper and Twelvepitch like this.
  3. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

I think he’s terrible, and I’m sick of him in Ford commercials too.

4. TheSeldomSeenKid

He raises money for Firefighters and pretty sure parts of Sales of 'Rescue Me' DVD Sets went to a Fund for Families of Firemen. He created 'Rescue Me' to start the Series, as the aftermath of one NYFD Station just after 9/11(I was hooked by the 1st Episode).

Really was effective in showing that Firemen are Flawed Heroes and battles issues like Alcohol Abuse/Addiction, Gambling Addiction, Home/Family Arguments, Cheating on Spouses, Sexism, etc. that, while Firemen do Heroic Things when putting their Lives on the Line, there is a price to pay on the toll their Profession takes on their personal lives. A Very Realistic Series that made it all the more compelling. Like a lot a Real Good TV Drama Series, there was a drop in Quality(Writing) on the Final 2 Seasons, but ended real well with the Final Episode.

showtaper, budwhite and Twelvepitch like this.
  5. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Nope

Michael likes this.
  6. audiomixer

Nope

Michael likes this.
  7. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

LOL, see I knew it! ; ) wink, wink,...

8. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

ah come on! : )

9. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Don’t you have any positive stories while working in Hollywood?

Chris DeVoe, RoyalScam and cleandan like this.
  10. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Decent actor.

Really liked him in Thomas Crown.

Simon A likes this.
  11. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes

I appreciate your thoughts. I do. But I couldn't care less if you concur with my opinion. Doesn't change a damn thing. He's one note. Angry.

Yawn...

You're a fan? Sweet. Just post your opinion then. Should have zero to do with quoting mine.

GodShifter and audiomixer like this.
  12. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Rescue Me is the crown jewel of Denis Leary's career and rightly so!

jlocke08 and Yankeefan01 like this.
  13. audiomixer

Plenty.

14. audiomixer

I beg to differ.

15. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Explain to me then how 'voice work' is the same as acting. One is sitting in a sound booth reading lines right in front of your face and using inflection to communicate an animated character's words. The other is being front a screen, emoting, using facial gestures, moving, and reciting your lines from memory in front a camera and crew. So how are they the same?

To take it a step further, is acting on Broadway in front a live audience the same as 'voice work'? No, it isn't. There aren't the same.

Dudley Morris and budwhite like this.
  16. audiomixer

I don't even know where to start with such an uninformed post. I recorded voice over for more than 40 years. They do "emote, use facial gestures, they move, and some even memorize the lines so they can "act" better.
    You are absolutely wrong on this one.

17. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

I could never stand him ever since first seeing him in the a——h video. There’s something about him I can’t stand.

audiomixer likes this.
  18. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

You were in the business so I'll take your word for it, but I still don't see them as the same. But I don't care to argue about it.

19. audiomixer

What makes it even more difficult is that you have a producer feeding you direction all the time from the studio booth.
    "OK, do it "this way" 3 times in a row, then this way then another way...I need options in editing". Lightening fast performances and very stressful. Ask any actor who has done it before.
    There are voice over artists who can run circles around stage, TV or movie actors in the booth because they are use to the rigors of that industry.
    In short, it takes tons of talent and patience. It's no "walk in the park".

20. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

He's off-putting to me, I don't watch his work. Can't really comment on his acting skills or lack thereof.:)

21. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Thanks for the informed and non snark post. I'll admit when I'm wrong or ill formed. I appreciate you taking the time to explain the differences.

I still hate Denis Leary :D

22. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

My initial response was non-snarky. And agreed on the second part.

GodShifter likes this.
  23. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Off topic...slightly. One of my favorites is Steven Root. He's been in tons of things (not just King of the Hill) and you would never know it was him. He played Milton in Office Space and Jimmy James in NewsRadio. Tell me he isn't a good actor and I shall have to ask you to step outside! ;)

24. audiomixer

Exactly!

GodShifter likes this.
  25. audiomixer

My pleasure! And I hate him more than you do. After having several tortured sessions with him, we ended up in the parking garage & he couldn’t find his car, complaining in his typical nasty manner. He asked for help; I told him to call 911.

Juan Matus and GodShifter like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.