Tool's NEW ALBUM Fear Inoculum - August 30th, 2019

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chrome_Head, Jul 29, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog Cautionary Example

This album can never live up to the crushing weight of expectations. How could it ?

D.D.

2. Here's an example of what a rip off chain stores in Australia are.
    I looked to pre order this album from a well known store and it was $179 aud, I nearly fainted.
    I went onto a US record stores site and it was $42 US ($66 aud)
    I thought to myself "is this the same thing"? So I checked and yes absolutely it was the same.

I then went and checked another well known chain stores website and it was $140 aud, I went back to the first stores website and miraculously the price had dropped from $179 to also be $140 (still more than double the cost of the US record store)

How is this possible?
    Why are we Australians getting shafted?

Frank Field likes this.
  3. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident Thread Starter

10,000 Days was a return to the harder earlier sound on certain tracks ("Jambi", "Vicarious", "The Pot"), but with longer, stretched-out song lengths. Otherwise, you have the Wings suite which is like one long song, the "Lost Keys / Rosetta Stoned" piece which is like one long song, and the closing suite, "Intension" and "Right In Two" which kind of compliment and play off of each other.

10k Days is actually a pretty damn good album that gets underrated by some. It may be a slight step down from the three that proceeded it, but not a lot IMO.

4. Orthogonian Blues

Orthogonian Blues A man with a fork in a world full of soup.

You are not alone. Asking prices in the UK are approaching double the US price.

5. sam1982

sam1982 Forum Resident

By the time it gets to New Zealand, it will be about $5000

6. Remote Control Triangle

Remote Control Triangle Forum Member Rated 6.8 By Pitchfork

All of this is such great marketing. People whining about prices -- but buying anyway. People selling pre-orders on Ebay, lol. Folks getting messages that they're closing off pre-ordering to prevent overselling...Tool's become the top streaming act on Spotify, etc. etc....People have created memes specifically about Tool fans and this release, the endless speculation about the band, recording techniques, on and on. Couldn't ask for better marketing. They've done a great job at fostering a buying frenzy.

7. VinylMario

VinylMario The Crow

Downright geniuses...

8. mestreech

mestreech Forum Resident

Just got this mail from Amazon.
    Delayed !!!

We now have delivery date(s) for the order you placed on August 07, 2019 (Order# ):

Tool "Fear Inoculum"
    Estimated arrival date: September 26, 2019 - October 16, 2019

If you want to check on the progress of your order, take a look at this page in Your Account:

9. Remote Control Triangle

Remote Control Triangle Forum Member Rated 6.8 By Pitchfork

Heh. I'm not saying they've been responsible for everything I mentioned directly, but they do seem to understand some key principles in marketing that older generations understood that the current generation is losing touch with in our 'easy access to everything' culture, one of them being people appreciate things more when they have to work for them. The other one is that they understand how to create scarcity with their product (music). People tend to assign higher value to things that are more rare.

10. sam1982

sam1982 Forum Resident

bet you'll have no problems walking into a shop on release day and just buying it there... if they know they can easily sell another 100k or whatever copies, I'm sure they'll be available... no band is ever gonna say 'no' to sales

11. Scroller

Scroller Hair Metal, Smooth Jazz, New Age...it's all good

Such strange times to be a music fan who simply wants to own a physical product by an artist he/she enjoys. :sigh: This reminds me of Record Store Day: intentionally not manufacturing enough product to meet the demand of the fans. And the obvious aftermath of such a strategy: flippers selling on ebay for exorbitant amounts and having them pocket some extra money instead of the record company. Is it all about hype?? I'll just never comprehend it... :crazy:

Crazy prayingmantis likes this.
  12. Yep it's all about FOMO

13. vinyl diehard

vinyl diehard Two-Channel Forever

If the latest A Perfect Circle album is any indication of meeting expectations.....

14. SeventhTime

SeventhTime Well-Known Member

Their a very different site than the one which was full of indie rock purists for most of the 2000s. Ironically I am about 100% sure this album will get the best score they have ever had with Pitchfork, for a couple of reasons.

a) They are still keen to shed the snarky indie elitist schtick they had
    b) The old writers wont be there now

Chrome_Head likes this.
  15. SeventhTime

SeventhTime Well-Known Member

New song is great, and the general consensus online seems very positive. Seems a bit of an outlier here. People seem more whiny about the packaging etc.

If you don't like the new song, I am not sure what you are actually after. It's Tool doing what Tool do, and doing it to a very very high level.

16. mestreech

mestreech Forum Resident

Is there anyone else in Europe who got this email from Amazon.com?
    See mail below.

17. Admerr

Admerr Forum Resident

My amazon order still shows delivery of 8/30. I placed it within minutes of the link going live.

I’m honestly not that concerned about delivery of the CD. I just wish they’d give us vinyl info.

scotti likes this.
  18. Reese

Reese Just because some watery tart threw a sword!

So, you didn't receive a shipping notification yet? According to Amazon, mine is out for delivery and currently is just on the other side of Arizona Bay.

[​IMG]

19. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

So it does sound like this thing is very likely sold out and there are currently no other physical options? There's still time but uh, seems like maybe not the greatest idea to have no other available pre-order options out in the world two and a half weeks before release.

20. MechanicalAnimal6

MechanicalAnimal6 Forum Resident

I got the same message yesterday, so i am all set with my Amazon pre order, i am for sure getting a copy then!
    I still have my pre order from Import cd's yet as well too. I'm hoping both copies arrive in great condition and that
    i can keep one copy sealed as a collectible.

Chrome_Head likes this.
  21. MechanicalAnimal6

well, i guess that's what people get for sleeping on the pre order then...it did state it was Limited in a lot of stories about the cd and on a lot of pre order pages....

I do think there will be another cd pressing eventually though....no way this is it.
    Everyone that didn't pre order will just have to wait and see i guess....

22. MechanicalAnimal6

correct, i never understood all the so called Tool fans complaining about 10,000 Days. It's a GREAT album! From start to finish! I personally rank it right after Lateralus as their 2nd best album even!

23. St. Troy

St. Troy Still superior.

I ordered it immediately (on Amazon), and was given one price. Later, the price dropped; my total (after tax) cost had dropped by...$7.77.

Have at it, fans.

24. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

[​IMG]

St. Troy and Admerr like this.
  25. St. Troy

St. Troy Still superior.

Does anyone know what Salival retailed for? I recall purchasing it at a store (no eBay, no huge markup etc.), but I have no idea how much it was.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.