Rolling Stones 2019 U.S. Summer Tour

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bowie Fett, Nov 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

They still did publicity stunts, though. The flatbed was pure "publicity stunt" - driving through town while playing! Not just a press conference.

And press conferences can be publicity stunts, too - picking unusual locations is a stunt. Remember when U2 announce PopMart in a K-Mart?

Most artists launch tours without press conferences. Methinks the Stones would still sell just as well without press conferences or publicity stunts...

JoeRockhead and Matthew Tate like this.
  2. classicrocker

classicrocker Life is good!

The Stones tours were always the event of the year and tickets were coveted and hard to come by.

In the past they did not ever really need publicity to sell their tours but that is Jagger isn't it?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  3. Jack Lord

Jack Lord Forum Resident

Yea I am no rock star let alone an aging one. But the traveling involved with touring would wear me out- and I love to travel. I don't know how Bob Dylan manages it at his age.

4. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

Dylan probably hasn’t spent more than a month or two in the same place since he left Woodstock in the early 70s.

5. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

Speaking of Bob Dylan........................

"Like A Rolling Stone" won tonight's vote.

6. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Yuck!

Denver did get Silver though to cleanse the palette afterwards.

7. Hot Ptah

Hot Ptah Forum Resident In Memoriam

I just saw the Denver concert.
    Compared to the Zip Code tour, Ron Wood was more of a featured soloist and was excellent.

There was more of a menacing sound on Sympathy for the Devil and Gimme Shelter. Keith’s solo on Sympathy was intense, filthy. I enjoyed this concert a lot.

The acoustic set featured Sweet Virginia and Dead Flowers. Keith sang You Got the Silver.

8. MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy Forum Resident

Who cares what most other artists do?

The fact that we are still talking about the flatbed truck - which apparently was a common promotional device employed by jazz acts, not to mention AC/DC - shows what brilliant marketing it was. If you want to tell Mick that it was stupid, go ahead.

All Down The Line and TonyCzar like this.
  9. Oatsdad

I agree that it'd be wearying, but on the other hand, musicians must get used to it - it's their life, after all.

Plus, I'm pretty sure the Stones aren't all piled into a van and staying at fleabag motels! :D

10. Oatsdad

When did I call the stunt stupid? :confused:

I'm not arguing good/bad for any of the Stones' publicity stunts.

I discussed whether or not a) these were "publicity stunts", and b) whether or not they were common and needed to sell tickets...

11. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

A friend who has attended at least half-a-dozen shows on this tour reckoned that last night's show was the best that he had seen thus far -- high energy.

12. Jack Lord

Jack Lord Forum Resident

LOL! You can bet on that. And owning multiple homes does not hurt either.

The last of the CBGB era bands, the Flesthones, are still active in the studio and on the road. Their blogs always tell of staying in motels or even crashing on peoples' couches. How they do that at 60+ is beyond me.

13. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Will "Dancing With Mr. D" get it's first ever US performance in the next couple weeks?

Played on 3 different tours, but always abroad.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  14. Hot Ptah

At the Denver show the energy level seemed to increase as the concert went on and they were at a great peak of energy when it ended. It seemed like a shame to end it then!

15. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

What’s wrong with the publicity stunts? I’ve loved those over the years! When did they have New England Pats cheerleaders wearing tongue logos - 2016? That was great! Didn’t they arrive at a Licks. press conference in a blimp? I think Charlie was petrified!

It’s what creates the “event.” The Super Bowl would sell out without the publicity, but that’s not the point.

16. Oatsdad

I came to like Michelle Malone, a Georgia-based music, in 2006.

In 2007, she played a Mexican restaurant in Baltimore - big restaurant, but still kinda weird to have a band play.

Her girlfriend/manager did all the talking during the show, and at one point, she encouraged people to buy CDs/merch because they needed gas money.

Usually you'd think that was a joke, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't! :sigh:

I think Malone has a blurb on her homepage asking for lodging from fans, too - at least she did in the past!

Jack Lord and TonyCzar like this.
  17. Oatsdad

I don't think anyone here has really criticized the Stones' publicity stunts. This just goes back to the post that claimed the Beatles were publicity hounds whereas the Stones were above it all!

laf848, JoeRockhead and Matthew Tate like this.
  18. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I see. I haven’t read this thread. Boy, whoever said that hasn’t been following the Stones.

JoeRockhead likes this.
  19. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

W-h-a-t?

It's only a fraction of the size of the smallest Beatles thread here! :)

TonyCzar likes this.
  20. bostonscoots

bostonscoots Forum Resident

Earlier in this forum I threw shade on the Rolling Stones for both their high ticket prices and safe set lists. However, last month when they rolled through Foxborough I couldn't resist snapping up a cheap balcony ticket - as in only $94 - one of my best friends was already going, the weather was perfect, and as I've justified to myself many times since 1989 "How many more tours do they really have left in them?"

Their Foxborough show turned out to be a very pleasant surprise - in fact, it was a gas. Maybe it was Mick's recent heart surgery or Keith's dye job, but the Stones played like they still had something left to prove - or as if they really want to make these shows count. They threw a few nice curveballs into the set list - from an all acoustic "Play With Fire" on the B-Stage and invited opener Gary Clark Jr to join them for a rousing rip through "Ride 'Em On Down" from Blue and Lonesome. The Stones sank their teeth into the blues standard, Ronnie and Keith trading solos with Gary, and Mick...well, Keith's right to say the real Mick Jagger comes out when he's blowing the harp. Of Keith, I agree age has taken much of his timing and dexterity. He seemed a little lost during "Midnight Rambler" and launched into the revved up ending of the song well ahead of Mick telling us all about the Boston...(bash!). The sound mix also seemed to favor the now-indispensable Ron Wood over Keith, but I could be reading too much into what could have been a technical issue. With all that said, count me in as a member of "Let Keith Be Keith" camp. Even at their performing peak the Stones were never interested in note-for-note perfection - why start now?

If it was anyone's night though, it was Mick's. He sang well, worked every inch of the massive stage, and spoke frequently to the audience. Mick even got off a successful Trump troll, telling the crowd July 4th would have been a lot different if the Brits could've hung on to the airport (drum roll Charlie!). More remarkable was Mick's obvious warmth towards his fellow Stones - fist bumping Keith, hugging Ron, even joining Charlie behind his drum kit to shake some maracas. On stage Mick Jagger has been many things - provocative, energetic, professional, dedicated - but...sincere? When it's his turn at the mike, Keith often falls back on a familiar joke about "it being good to be in (insert city here)...hell, it's good to be anywhere." Well, Mick looked genuinely happy to be there that night in Foxborough, back on stage with the Stones. And I was too.

I'll still argue about the (mostly) safe set list and the high ticket prices...but as a fan it meant something that the Rolling Stones gave it everything they had that night. These days, I don't believe the Stones when they play "It's Only Rock N' Roll" because it's no longer "only rock and roll" to the band - it's life itself. The No Filter tour makes one thing clear - if mortality wants the Rolling Stones, it's gonna have to come and get the Rolling Stones, because they're gonna remain a moving target and they're not going quietly.

21. FrixFrixFrix

FrixFrixFrix Senior Member

Big highlight from Saturday in Denver

22. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

In Paris, the group and touring musicians stayed for eight nights at the Four Seasons George V, where rooms run from $1,200 to $27,000 per night, and the main restaurant has three Michelin stars. I caught Ronnie and his new family leaving for a show; he looked very relaxed.

23. They did a great version of it, but I was really hoping that "Respectable" had won the vote.

24. btltez

btltez Forum Resident

Dude. Let it go. You obviously did not comprehend my post on the subject. And now here again you misquote me. NOT WHAT I SAID AT ALL. Never even used the words ''above it all" or "didn't do press" and all the other misquotes you are trying to put on me. Go watch some youtube videos of press conferences. Then tell me who kissed the ring more.

25. Hot Ptah

I voted for “All Down the Line.” When the fan vote feature was introduced by the visuals on the big screen, just the words “All Down the Line” were on the screen for several seconds. Then all of a sudden it was announced that “Like a Rolling Stone” won. I wondered what happened there.

footlooseman and Matthew Tate like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.