Ortofon 2M Series PnP and Concordes for Technics SL-1200GR

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by DoF, Aug 11, 2019.

1. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

I do this. Just make sure to dial down your VTF to compensate for the weight of the bubble level. For one there is a chance the extra weight could be too much for the suspension, but also, you won’t get as accurate a reading if what you are finding is level with extra weight. I weighed my level (it’s right at 2 grams), turn the counterweight down by that much, then measure VTF with the level in place to verify.

BGLeduc, DoF, bever70 and 1 other person like this.
  2. Livewire91

Livewire91 Mammagamma Member

Yes hard to say.

DoF likes this.
  3. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

You do have to also level the platter first. If the platter is level, and the headhshell is level, they should be parallel, because they are both level.

DoF and Livewire91 like this.
  4. Livewire91

Ok. I have a normal bubble level, i still need a small round one to make it a bit easier to check. The one im using is quite big.

DoF likes this.
  5. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

I also verify with an acrylic VTA/azimuth block. I think either the headshell level or the VTA block would be sufficient alone, but I have both so I might as well get that confirmation. Ultimately that’s just to get to a starting point, anyway, because the VTA may need to go up or down based on how things actually sound.

DoF, zombiemodernist and Livewire91 like this.
  6. zombiemodernist

zombiemodernist Forum Resident

Yeah I'm of the opinion too hard to tell alignment down to the MM by eye with any smartphone photo. Lost a lot of faith in the accuracy of photography after doing a lot of product photography for a gig a few years back. It's all a big mess of technical stuff, but it's just best to keep in mind smartphones are not accurate measuring tools and will probably leave you second guessing something that is right.

Goes along with the confidence message, trust the most accurate instrument here, your own eyes!

I made this a while back on a similar thread. This is essentially adapted from KAB's recommendation for how to do a quick check on these Technics gauges.

[​IMG]

IMO, this method is a super easy quick way to double check your optical alignment.

Also +1 on the VTA block suggested above.

7. SNDVSN

SNDVSN Forum Resident

And how do you hold an object accurately at 90 degrees?

DoF likes this.
  8. zombiemodernist

If it's rigid, there's no issue, you just hold it against the edge of the gauge and it will form a perpendicular plane.

This image uses a credit card because it photographs well, but I use an XACTO as recommend by KAB. Not for those with poor fine motor skills, but works well as a quick check, and better than posting pictures.

DoF and Livewire91 like this.
  9. DoF

DoF Less is more... Thread Starter

:righton:

Livewire91 likes this.
  10. DoF

:righton:

Livewire91 likes this.
  11. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

I actually take what I think is probably an extra step and use the inside edges of a digital calipers. The one edge being flat against the back of the gauge should mean the other inside edge is square. Note I am not using the calipers to actually measure in this step, as that’s not where the 52 mm starts, I’m just using it as a square.

I would think a credit card/razor blade/x-acto knife/etc. would also work just fine, though. 90 degrees is pretty easy to recognize visually at that scale when you’re actually doing it.

zombiemodernist and DoF like this.
  12. zombiemodernist

Yep, square works fine too! I just think Kevin's idea is useful to have a bit more accurate check than the "by eye" deal the gauge was intended to use, without driving it into the realm of overdoing it.

DoF likes this.
  13. RPepper

RPepper Active Member

Hey I think I am in the market for a 2m Blue for my Fluance RT 82. It would be replacing the OM 10. So my question is besides ordering one on Amazon (currently $236 for the cartridge and stylus) are there any other less expensive options? Sales?

I wish I had a crystal ball and forked over the extra $200 to get the Fluance RT 85 which comes with the 2M Blue.

Livewire91 likes this.
  14. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

I have never seen a 2M Blue cheaper than that (which doesn’t mean it hasn’t happened), but you might actually want to consider moving up the line of OM replacement styli instead of replacing the whole cartridge. For $198 you can get the OM20 stylus, which is a nude elliptical like the 2M Blue, and it seems like the prevailing concensus is the OM series sounds at least as good as the 2M series, some say better. So that’s one way to save some money but still move up to the nude elliptical. The OM series has even finer styli than that, but I would expect you only want to put so much money into the cartridge for a Fluance turntable.

If you want an alternative nude elliptical option, you can get an AT-VM95EN for $120, or $150 premounted to a headshell. I used one of those briefly on my RT80, and it sounded about as good as I expect the Fluance is going to get (and it may be even better on RT82 as I think they made some improvements to the noise isolation, which RT80 definitley had). As far as I know, this cartridge is the lowest-priced nude elliptical available, so if “less expensive options” meant alternatives, I’d give this one a look. The only reason I wouldn’t push you up to the AT-VM95ML at $170 is because the Fluance arm does not have VTA adjustment, so you’d have to play around with mat thickness and/or headshell shims if the ML stylus needed to be angled up or down. The elliptical isn’t as fussy, and it worked fine for me on the Fluance arm.

EDIT: To clarify, the pre-mounted AT option does not necessarily mean you won’t need to do alignment. I had to move mine to get it to the right overhang for the Fluance. So it’s not exactly plug-n-play, and if you’re not looking for an additional headshell, you can just as easily save the $30 and just put the cartridge on the Fluance headshell.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
    zombiemodernist and RPepper like this.
  15. RPepper

RPepper Active Member

Thanks!

16. DoF

I mounted and aligned my old Nagaoka MP-110. Had to do some wet cleaning with Audio-Technica Cartridge Stylus Cleaner. This cart somehow did not sound well with my previous system but now, it is great :)

Slick Willie likes this.
  17. DoF

18. DoF

Another alignment, this time it's Technics EPC-270C with EPS-270ED stylus. Not there 100%, but my skill's progressing.

[​IMG]

19. DoF

I found this Technics VTA table. It seems that according to this table I should set the VTA ring to 1. The height from stylus tip to top 2 M Blue mounting surface is 18 mm (see here: Cartridges dimensions chart )

[​IMG]

Livewire91 likes this.
  20. Livewire91

If i set the height to 1, it seems that the tonearm is leaning a bit downwards more than being parallel straight.

21. DoF

The table is taken from the manual :) just posting.

Livewire91 likes this.
  22. Livewire91

@Slick Willie Do you have the height set to 0 or 1 with your Ortofon 2M and Technics SL-1200G?

23. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

I have mine set at zero.
    If most of my collection was 180/200 gram, I might would look at getting closer to one?

Livewire91 and DoF like this.
  24. Livewire91

Yeah i think it was still better at 0, i will check with the 180 grams tomorrow and tonearm height at 1. Thanks for your reply.

DoF and Slick Willie like this.
  25. DoF

Got a used Concorde Pro S set for $40 (shipping included). It came dirty... Cleaned it with DeoxIT and some Isopropyl alcohol. Turned out fine. I did not mount the Pro S stylus (looks pretty beat up). Instead mounted OM 10 stylus, I had still brand new. Treat it as a bargain buy. Concorde body gives me a room for possible future improvements up to OM 40. Another keeper in my arsenal :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

F1fletch, McLover, Curiosity and 2 others like this.