Should I upgrade to a Mitchell Gyrodec SE Turntable?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by LakeMountain, Aug 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LakeMountain

LakeMountain Vinyl surfer Thread Starter

I am considering to order a J A Michell Gyrodec SE Turntable (before Brexit happens;)).

I have a Thorens 321 with a SME IV arm and an Ortofon Cadenza Blue installed now. The Thorens - I bought it almost 30 years ago - could be the weakest link in this set up. I had already put the Thorens on a custom fit platform and I had added a dampening ring on the outside of the platter. It improved sound a bit. The current set up sounds great, especially voices with sparse instrumentation. I am also happy with the dynamic response and amplification, but I do have the feeling that orchestral/classical music and records with dense, multi-instrumentation could perhaps benefit from a bit more resolution.

I would really appreciate if you could share your experience with the Mitchell to give a better feeling if it is worth it. I will have to install the SME IV with cartridge on the Mitchell and returning could be some hassle.

Thanks!

displayname likes this.
  2. Andy Saunders

Andy Saunders Always a pleasure never a chore

The Gyro SE /SME IV/ Cadenza Blue will give you plenty of resolution l know this as l had a Gyro SE/SMEV/Cadenza Black also it gets plenty of visitors talking about it when they see it, the Gyro combo is like Fish and chips, Burger and fries in other words just right, good luck.

NB; I am a Gyro SE owner and have not heard the Thorens.

Oh and the Gyro is endlessly upgradeable.:D

3. GyroSE

GyroSE Forum Resident

I believe it's worth to go for the Gyro SE. The synergy between any of the SME 309/IV/V tonearms and the Michell decks is something truly special. Since you already have the SME IV- order the Gyro SE! You won't regret it. :righton:

4. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

The Gyro is beautiful but if you can afford it go straight to the Orb, the last turntable you will ever buy.

5. GyroSE

GyroSE Forum Resident

Agreed. :agree:

Dubmart and royzak2000 like this.
  6. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I agree with the previous posters and would just add that if you go for a Gyro SE and can't stretch to an Orbe SE the HR power supply is a fantastic and essential upgrade, if you get a Michell you won't believe how much more you get out of your SME IV, it's a perfect match for either Michell.

Pancat, Twinsfan007, RONENRAY and 7 others like this.
  7. LakeMountain

Very encouraging responses, great, thanks! Anyone who has upgraded from a Thorens 320 or 321?

I have seen the Orbe and I will keep it in mind for a future upgrade saving project. I so far had a change from the Ortofon cadenza blue to a DS Audio E1 cartridge in mind. I might a start a new threat in the future then :).

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
  8. Baldmann

Baldmann Forum Resident

Hi, I have a Gyro with an SME 309 and Quintet black. Wonderful combo. There are two must have upgrades imo, the HR p/s and the Orb clamp. I also have Solidair magnetic feet on mine, and will soon be upgrading the suspension.

9. Optimize

Optimize Forum Resident

The Thoréns 321:
    Wow and flutter: 0.035%
    GyroDec:
    Wow and flutter: less than 0.04%

Strange that >30 year old Thoréns have better
    Wow and flutter. When the design of the platter and that the platter is heavier on the GyroDec. Then one of the importance factors is gone.
    But yes the design may be more attractive. :righton:
    It will be a nice "upgrade". ;)

10. GyroSE

GyroSE Forum Resident

Well to be honest the GyroDec is an almost 40 year old construction still in production. The specs you're mentioning are not a problem especially if the HR PSU is added.

11. Andy Saunders

Or the suspension upgrade which solidifies the sound and them some.:)

Takes performance up a lot for relative buttons.:edthumbs:

displayname likes this.
  12. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

I’m actually still not clear on whether Brexit will be better or worse for exchange rates on hi-fi gear from the UK. Probably something to look into, there’s stuff I might want that I’d either hurry up and get or hold off, depending on the expected effects...

EDIT: hadn’t bothered to look at your location... clearly the effects within the EU could be different than for the US...

13. LakeMountain

I am living in the Netherlands, which is relatively close to the UK(low shipping cost) and no import duties. BTW the exchange rate of the £ to € has already dropped. I assume it will be same for the $. A Michell Gyro SE is now ca. 1900 €, if I order now.

14. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

That's a really good price, not far of a straight Pound Euro conversion, I doubt the Pound will get much weaker and once Brexit happens and the sky doesn't fall in it will likely start to gain value again, after all the UK economy is healthier than that of several countries using the Euro, plus you will likely have all sorts of tariffs and charges added once we leave the single market.

15. LakeMountain

Exactly my thinking as well, now seems the time to go for it.

Judging from the responses it looks like I better order with some upgrades, e.g Power HS unit, Orbe clamp?

16. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I would say that both are excellent upgrades, the HR really tightens up the bass in particular, plus in the unlikely event you need it you can adjust the speed via the HR box, for reference in all the years I owned mine I only needed to adjust speed perhaps twice. If you get the Orbe clamp it will save buying the standard clamp which is half the money and I'd suggest that you get your dealer to fit the new spindle/clamp, it's not difficult, but having a work bench with a vice is somewhat necessary to get the original unscrewed plus they will be responsible for any damage or losing the ball bearing and you won't have to worry, you may even be able to order the Orbe spindle already fitted from Michell. There are other "upgrades" available, but my advice would be to stick with the two Michell ones then spend a lot of time getting used to what you have and how good it sounds, once you've done that you will be in a better position to decide if you want to change anything and what effect any future changes actually have.

For me a new Gyro SE with a HR and a SME IV is pretty much unbeatable for performance by anything at a similar or lower price and holds it's own with some much more expensive competition, plus as an added bonus it's prettier than almost anything else out there.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
  17. Andy Saunders

The Orbe clamp is essential in my book and can endorse the HR PSU....however will say again the suspension upgrade takes the Gyro into another league altogether.

Good luck.:)

18. RONENRAY

RONENRAY Forum Resident

The GYRO SE is a wonderful turntable , with your SMEIV arm it must be wonderfull.
    I have it with the Mitchell power supply and SME 309 and a Benz cartridge and sounds great.
    The ORBE must be better also mor expensive x2 .

LakeMountain and GyroSE like this.
  19. RONENRAY

RONENRAY Forum Resident

For 1900 euro it's a bargain,i known a Michell Gyro turntable who works 10h a day for many years
    and still is perfect , if you see the price of turntables these days it go's crazy.
    Think Michell Gyro and Orbe is great quality.
    And Imho it's als a great design object , more than the Orbe.

GyroSE, Sugar Man and Dubmart like this.
  20. LakeMountain

Thx! The suspension upgrade is possibly now already part of the base model. I found the suspension upgrade offered for “previous “ Gyro models:). I will check.

21. chili555

chili555 Forum Resident

I have and love a Gyro SE. Highly recommended. I would consider the SME IV to be my ultimate, end game upgrade. I doubt that you will be anything but amazed.

22. LakeMountain

Thank you all for your help! I ordered the Gyro SE with HR powersupply, the Orbe clamp and spindle pre- installed. The suspension upgrade is already part of the model.
    Alas, It will take some 6 weeks to get delivered. Not sure, if this thread will then still be accessible, but if it is I will share my first impressions.

23. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I think you will love it, there's nothing like rediscovering your record collection and I'm sure the records will sound better than you've ever heard them before. I assume your dealer is setting everything up for you as although it's possible to do it yourself experience pays dividends especially with getting the suspension right.

Cyclone Ranger and GyroSE like this.
  24. Andy Saunders

Look forward to your impressions and the spinning platter weights......never get tired of watching ( and listening to my Gyro SE.):)

GyroSE likes this.
  25. LakeMountain

Here it is:
    [​IMG]
    I finally got time to assemble it and install the SME IV, which resided on my Thorens321.
    I ordered the Gyrodec SE with the motor upgrade and the Orbe clamp. The motor is hidden below, in case you wonder.

The Orbe clamp gave me an unexpected issue, though. I am using the Ringmat spacer and support system to achieve a correct VTA for different thicknesses of records and to dissipate stylus energy and static electricity. However with the Ringmat support the Orbe clamp is too high up to catch the thread and it cannot be tightened with the result that the record is not lying flat on the support. The center of platter is slightly raised for the Orbe clamp to force the record to the outer fringe of the platter when tightened. I need to experiment a bit further to see, if there is a solution.

So, for now I adjusted the height of the tonearm such that the base is ca. 2-2,5 mm lower than the tonearm head for a common record thickness in my collection (1 mm) for just using the Orbe clamp without a support system.

How does it sound? I put on my Jazz reference record ( Earl Coleman Returns, Prestige) . The voice had all the emotion and sounded even better defined than what I was used to! Also, brass instruments were great.

Then, my Contemporary reference went on, Mumford & Sons. I use it because most songs end in an crescendo of instruments and voices and it needs a really good system to separate this amalgamation of sound. And it did again give me more resolution!

I got stuck listening to these 2 records and I still need to test my Classical record reference (Mendelsohn, A midsummer nights dream), but I am (almost) sure it will be magic.

And, I even have not installed yet Pete’s pylons, a replacement of the spring loaded suspension system, which got great reviews by many of you.

Looking forward to that!

Litejazz53, GyroT, Nephrodoc and 7 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.