Once Upon a Time in Hollywood SPOILERS! SPOILER THREAD...

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Chris DeVoe, Jul 30, 2019.

1. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast

:love:

2. SunSon

SunSon Lucky Boomer

Charlie Feathers, who said white people ain't got soul

willwin likes this.
  3. SunSon

SunSon Lucky Boomer

Somewhere in this thread is discussion on the character who split and left Tex, Squeaky and the other girl to go kill piggies.
    I can't find it. Who was that? Both character and actor?
    Was this character a QT insertion?

willwin and Lightworker like this.
  4. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

Dakota Fanning was terrific as Cherie Currie in the The Runaways (2012) biopic. Hilarious interactions with Michael Shannon (who portrayed Kim Fowley).

[​IMG]

5. Steve Litos

Steve Litos Senior Member

She was the one who waited outside during the murder spree.

She was a witness for the prosecution against the rest of the Manson family.

willwin and SunSon like this.
  6. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

I haven't seen that one, I didn't know it was that long ago either.

willwin and Lightworker like this.
  7. raveoned

raveoned Forum Resident

Linda Kasabian was the real person's name.

In the movie, she's played by Maya Hawke, daughter of Ethan Hawke and Uma Thurman.

8. Lightworker

The character is undoubtedly based on Linda Kasabian, the Manson Family member who stayed outside the Polanski house as a lookout.
    She didn't actually flee the scene early as depicted in the film, and later was a witness for the prosecution for the Tate/LaBianca cases.

[​IMG]

9. raveoned

raveoned Forum Resident

I told some friends I went to one of the screenings with that when she drives away, the timeline branches off at that point, since she stayed outside as a lookout and to be ready with the car.

Lightworker, willwin and Steve Litos like this.
  10. Lightworker

Not bad for a rock biopic. Lots of fun moments if you're a Runaways fan and 'early supporter' like me.

unclefred and willwin like this.
  11. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

Already answered above regarding Linda Kasabian, but I would add that according to her, she considered bolting in the car but was concerned for her daughter at Spahn Ranch.

GodShifter and Steve Litos like this.
  12. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Kasabian also apparently prevented another murder... on August 9th, Manson sent one group to the LaBianca residence, and a second group (Kasabian, Atkins, Grogan) to the apartment of actor Saladin Nader with orders to kill him. Kasabian intentionally took them to the wrong apartment, and the murder plan was aborted.

13. In real life she is the daughter of Uma Thurman and Ethan Hawke and is featured on the most recent season of Stranger Things.

willwin and SunSon like this.
  14. SunSon

SunSon Lucky Boomer

Thanks again

bmoregnr likes this.
  15. questrider

questrider Forum Resident

In the credits Maya Hawke is billed as "Flower Child". It's inferred that she is Linda Kasabian who may have been nicknamed Flower Child by Manson but I can't find any reference to that being her family name. Still, it could also be Tarantino's way of creating another character based on a real person in his fairy tale of what went down especially considering she bailed on the others in the film instead of sticking around on lookout in real life.

SunSon likes this.
  16. Mainline461

Mainline461 Forum Resident

I found this interesting with the talk here of "hippies". I'm halfway through Peter Doggett's book CSNY and found this quote:

"I abhorred hippies. That's a fair and accurate statement"
    Stephen Stills

I'd easily say Rick Dalton felt the same.

17. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

After seeing this movie, I searched for Sharon Tate and found this on Amazon video:
    The Haunting of Sharon Tate (2019)
    Wow, does it look terrible. Kind of like what people feared Tarrantino would do when they first announced he was doing this movie. I'm very surprised they were able to make this. I watched the trailer and have no interest in seeing the movie.

18. SunSon

SunSon Lucky Boomer

Thanks for the warning. I will, with respect to you pass on the link you provided.

19. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

The link is to Rotten Tomatoes, some of the critic review quotes are entertaining.

Not trying to promote it by any means, but thought it was really odd that this came out the same year as OUATIH. Due to the 50th anniversary I guess.

SunSon likes this.
  20. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

The other three are pretty direct references Tex Watson (Austin Butler), Susan “Sadie” Atkins (Mikey Madison of Better Things), and Patricia “Katie” Krenwinkel (Madisen Beaty, formerly of The Fosters).

Maybe it has something to do with Kasabian not being dead or in prison; so why run the risk of using her as character more directly, but it’s pretty on the nose otherwise factoring in the opportunity to play out the QT ending with another little twist/allusion of the facts.

21. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

George Harrison's visit to Haight-Asbury didn't go as he'd hoped:

"I went there expecting it to be a brilliant place, with groovy gypsy people making works of art and painting and carvings in little workshops.

“But it was filled with horrible spotty drop-out kids on drugs, and it turned me right off the scene.

“I could only describe it like a Bowery: a lot of bums and drop-outs."

22. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I reviewed it. I thought it was pretty terrible!

The Haunting of Sharon Tate [Blu-Ray] (2019)

mmars982 and Steve Litos like this.
  23. SunSon

SunSon Lucky Boomer

We went to the 11am show this morning and my wife didn't have to go to the bathroom. She loved it and said she would like to see it again.
    It gets better and better, 3rd time for me. You know when you are listening to a favorite album and as the next song begins you think 'I love this song' and then again and again like that all through the album?
    At the start of each scene I was like that, 'oh man I love this scene'.

24. Johnny Action

Johnny Action Forum President

I saw it for the second time last night. Took my 17 year old son. He loved it. I enjoyed it even more the second time. DiCaprio really is amazing. Pitt is the epitome of cool. Such a great movie. Makes me wish I could have lived and experienced LA in the late 60s.

Dan C, willwin, Steve Litos and 3 others like this.
  25. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Is there a more attractive looking actress working today? And she was amazing in Wolf Of Wall Street. I think she played the part of Sharon perfectly. Both her and Brad played their parts in such an understated tone and it worked so well imo. Props probably go to Quentin for that direction. I bet that’s harder than acting that looks, well, more like acting!