Parting with CDs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Adam9, Aug 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

That was always my intention. Anything that was in a unique case I kept. I can spend my retirement putting them all back together again.

Eric_Generic likes this.
  2. schnitzerphilip

schnitzerphilip "Modern Dad" Unlocked Award

I own every Cure album they ever made, all on CD, all of which I purchased used in the 90's.

Today, I pay $15 a month to a streaming service and enjoy my Cure music that way, haven't played a Cure CD in 20 years and haven't listened to the Cure collection I ripped from those CD's in the last 5 years. I actually feel good that the Cure is being compensated now. They deserve my money after having me enjoy their catalog for 25 years without giving them a penny.

Streaming is convenient for me and compensates artists I've inadvertently hurt financially. Win-win. Streamers are good music fans.

Crimson Witch likes this.
  3. schnitzerphilip

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

These are the first 3 pages of results for an Apple Music streaming search I just did on my iPhone for "Light My Fire Doors". There must be about 40 different versions.

And if the files are tagged correctly, I can turn to my HomePod speaker and say "Hey Siri, play Light My Fire Mono Remaster" and on it comes, just by asking with my voice.

Adam9 and walrus like this.
  4. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

Good for you ! You want to support
    artists, and that is a good thing. I can't
    help recalling all of the articles and
    discussion about how much money
    the artist gets from streaming, compared
    with the take by the provider service and

the labels, but that isn't anyone's fault for

how that got negotiated contractually,
    except artist and label. At what point
    have we compensated the artist fairly in

relation to our benefit versus the profit
    of the labels and service provider, which

take practically everything. When we
    stop giving those highly profitable
    corporations more of our money, (on top
    of up-to-date investment), we end up with

nothing tangible in the real sense with which
    to promote the art as a cultural force,
    or the artist as contributor to it.
    I see devaluation disguised as false
    fair compensation.

5. schnitzerphilip

Streaming compensates artists. Used CD's do not.

If you purchase Used CD's then don't say a word about Streaming being unfair.

Crimson Witch likes this.
  6. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

Cool. Nice to know that lots of alternative choices are available on these services. I don't know that much about it overall.

The only streaming I do is a result of taking in too much liquid...:winkgrin:

7. Finch Platte

Finch Platte Lettme Rundatt Bayou

I wonder if that guy wants to sell any of those CDs? I'm interested in the Rebel Rebel one.

:laugh: :doh:

Eric_Generic likes this.
  8. Fuzzbee

Fuzzbee Forum Resident

What a dumb and pointless article.

audiomixer likes this.
  9. ironbutterfly

ironbutterfly Listening to marky mark in mono

I have a music room that houses my system my LPs and my cds it would look funny with just laptop to stream and a hard drive attached

RockRoom likes this.
  10. tineardrum

tineardrum Forum Resident

I buy new and used CDs and vinyl. Used if I can't get it anywhere else. Stream if I want to hear before I buy. If I don't like it enough, I don't buy it. Give dollars to artists that still sell music I like, instead of pennies to everyone whether I like their music or not.

11. David67

David67 Forum Resident

Well, there are instances other than sound quality where used CD's are preferable.

"I Learned of the Jeff Healey Band while watching the movie "Roadhouse" (staring Patrick Swayze & Sam Elliot) apparently this is true for many of here in
    the US, the band is from Canada. Jeff Healey was blinded at the age of 1 due to Retinoblastoma, but this did not affect his talent for playing guitar,
    singing, and songwriting. The band plays Rock, Blues, and Jazz, but sadly Jeff Healey passed in 2008 from cancer, however his music will live on in CD's
    and DVD's. This CD is primarily rock and some with blues influence, one of the songs that still gets airplay here is the US is "Angel Eyes" (my favorite
    song on this CD). The one problem with this CD (and the reason it only got 4 stars) is Arista Records shamefully used a truncated version of "Angel Eyes"
    instead of the full album version (5:19 mins). The song begins to fade at 4:12 mins. and is over at 4:21 mins. The music is still very good but if you're
    a fan of this band and especially "Angel Eyes" you'll need to find and purchase the Album/LP version which is out of print (produced in 1988). You can
    check Youtube to sample more Jeff Healey Band songs."

https://www.amazon.com/See-Light-Jeff-Healey/dp/B000002VFU

The Batman likes this.
  12. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Look at it this way: when you buy a car, you pay the manufacturer and the dealer once. If you sell that car, or if a dealer sells it, the manufacturer doesn't get paid again. Are you OK with those ethics? Do you believe the car maker should be paid again because of ethics?

13. schnitzerphilip

If you're an iPhone user, definitely try Apple Music's 3 month free trial. I think you'll like it.

14. schnitzerphilip

...the price you pay for 45,000,000 songs at your fingertips is ultimately a small one.

15. schnitzerphilip

The automotive industry is built upon and priced based on a two-step product lifecycle. To a dealer, the car brand new is sold as leased, 36 months later its sold as preowned, they get continuing revenue from parts and repairs, and that's that, the car has done its job and made its money. To a buyer, the car is a one-time purchase and is expected to run 50K miles and that's it, then they buy a new car. Cars are disposable. They self-destruct over time.

The recording industry is built upon two principles:

1. Sell a new album to a new listener and give that single listener every 10 years an incentive to buy it again via technology, quality, extras.

2. Sell a new album to an 18 year old every 10 years. Today's 8 year old will be 18 in 10 years and want Born To Run. And so will his kids. And his grandkids.

Used CD's blow up both strategies. It's like a 1988 Chevrolet Impala that never ages, never gets mileage, never needs repairs, never needs maintenance, and never even needs fuel. Ludicrous analogy.

16. You should always sync your entire digital library (music, videos, photos, typed documents etc) to at least two hard drives.

Also, you may want to try SSDs (solid state drives) as these are set to be the next big thing.

They contain no moving parts. Phone memory, memory cards, USB sticks are all SSDs, but you can get big ones that go over 2TB, although at the moment they're still very pricey.

PCs are starting to be manufactured with SSDs in them now instead of HDDs.

17. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Can y’all show me on this doll where this guy hurt you?

Gaslight likes this.
  18. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

Screw the next big thing! Windows 8 was the next big thing, iPhone whichever number it was that got rid of the headphone plug was the next big thing. If it ain't broke, don't fix it! I'll get a solid state hard drive when they're old hat and I can pick up a good one for a hundred bucks.

My flash drives work fine. Besides, that's the reason I have CDs in the first place. Bar a handful of rare and irreplaceable ones (which I save backups of on every device I can find, just in case something happens), if one of my flash drives fails, I can just load the CDs again. My collection is still small enough that it's not going to be a full-year project to do. Plus, I find it very calming to load CDs... closest I get to zen/meditation.

19. InStepWithTheStars

He hurt me in my heart because he said the thing I like is stoopid.

20. Those
    You can't compare the growing popularity of SDDs with the latest iPhone coming on the market without a headphone jack.

Also, a flash drive (which you mentioned) is a solid state drive. I'm just talking about them on a bigger scale, such as a 1TB or 2TB external one.

For the record, I wouldn't touch an iPhone or anything by Apple.

21. That's made me even more tempted to buy an SDD (no moving parts), although not by Seagate.

Grant likes this.
  22. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Every time I look at my CD's now...I just hurt inside.

#IanMcGillismademedoit

Synthfreek likes this.
  23. Jerrika

Jerrika Mysterious Ways

I used to sell my old CD's to a used music store in Calgary. Nowadays nobody seems to want them. I can't even give them away.

24. Prophetzong

Prophetzong Forum Resident

Yeah, but nobody will steal them either.

Kristofa and rikki nadir like this.
  25. InStepWithTheStars

I personally would rather have my backups spread across a number of small devices rather than confined to one large device so it's not as much of a hassle when they break. I have the worst luck with technology. I have been through at least eight laptops this decade. I've become such a Luddite I'm amazed I still use computers at all.

I hate Apple products too. I also hate Microsoft products. (And I don't have the patience for Linux.) I hate computers and computers hate me. Maybe that's why I like CDs so much. They aren't judgmental and they don't self-destruct without warning on me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.