The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

As @Dahabenzapple implied above, on the May tour they were closer to the rails, the lines, marching in the Andes, if you catch the drift.

All of the Estimated Prophets from those months are a delight, especially the jams out into the next tune, which at that time was Eyes or He's Gone (for a couple of fine examples of the latter, listen to 19 April in Columbus, OH; and 7 May at RPI). These jams continued to morph and evolve through the year, and they contained some of Jerry's most interesting and innovating playing. The version from Egypt is exceptional (15 September), it appears on the Rockin' The Cradle- Bonus Disc.

2. US Blues

The show at 1st Bank Center in Broomfield was great! I was fortunate to have seen Furthur and Phil & Friends there a number of times, with a capacity of 5000 for a show it is small enough to be intimate, and large enough to have some serious energy moving around.

Speaking of JRAD, due to unforeseen circumstances around family and work I will not be attending this years Red Rocks show on 29 August. If any of you fine people need a ticket send me a message!

budwhite and trd like this.
  3. sleepjar

sleepjar Underachiever

I'd recommend checking out Can to anyone on this thread who's unfamiliar with them. Any of their first several studio albums are good, but especially Tago Mago, Ege Bamyasi, and Future Days.

Their live releases contain copious amounts of improv.

Can (band) - Wikipedia

This past weekend I listened to no Dead, however, I'm on a much needed and deserved vacation this week and have much more listening time than usual. I'm building up to something Dead very soon, maybe even tonight. Not sure what yet, but as always, E72 is calling.

4. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

I listened to a bit of the GOGD yesterday but mostly yesterday plus this AM, noon lunch break and now waiting for my 7:15 commitment I’m deep into some very intense improvised magical music:)

Very complimentary to my Dead listening ears. Just finished a quartet of acoustic guitar, violin, serpent & drums. Now a trio of soprano & tenor saxophone, a crazy insanely brilliant female vocalist named Savina Yannatou & drums. Then afterwards trio of trumpet, piano and drums.

Plus these 2 drummers are incredible almost like super-powered dudes - Ramon Lopez & Lucas Niggli - could be the best sounding drums I’ve ever heard on record - then again I’m listening in my car!!!! So what the **** do I know!!!!!

Then 9 of the ladies & gents from the Barry Guy Blue Shroud Band in a 13 minute improvisation. Guy is so humble he isn’t on any of these pieces. He is on about half of the pieces on the 5 CD set.

Glad to place these comments on the Big Thread

Intensegrity - on Not Two Records

Great music for open-minded Dead listeners:)

5. kevin

kevin Senior Member

Now listening to 8/12/81[Salt Lake City]on TIGDH on SiriusXM's Grateful Dead channel via the webstream now playing Might As Well.

footlooseman, US Blues and ianuaditis like this.
  6. uzn007

uzn007 Pack Rat

Can is, indeed, essential. I consider them to be "prog-adjacent", broadly speaking, but they're really in a league of their own. They touch on prog, krautrock, space-rock and a half-dozen other styles but they always sound like themselves.

I just read this over on a Devo thread and it could apply just as well to much of Can's output: "... I still listen to it regularly, and it still sounds like the future."

7. sleepjar

sleepjar Underachiever

8. trd

trd Forum Resident

Yep I saw some great furthur shows there and at least one of those Phil shows

Sorry you have to miss red rocks

budwhite and US Blues like this.
  9. US Blues

When I see a wonderful video like this, I wonder why they didn't do this 30 years ago.

10. US Blues

Thanks, things happen. Nothing bad, just plans get made that supersede the musical adventures.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
    trd likes this.
  11. Jupitermadcat

Jupitermadcat Forum Resident

I've just listened to the JGB Live Vol one really enjoyed it i know there are others any other good volumes worth checking out?

wavethatflag, trd and US Blues like this.
  12. US Blues

Anything JGB from 1978.

KCWhistle and trd like this.
  13. Jupitermadcat

Listening to the Pure Jerry series live at Warner Theater 3/18/78

14. uzn007

uzn007 Pack Rat

A lot of the Pure Jerry releases are hard to find these days, unfortunately (if you're looking to buy hardcopy), as are a lot of other releases from the 90s-2000s.

There's a GarciaLive release from spring of 1978, which I haven't heard. I'm particularly fond of the releases from 1973 and 1991 in that series.

If you can find any version of the Garcia/Saunders band at Live at Keystone album, that's worth picking up.

15. Jupitermadcat

Yes i see some exorbitant prices on hard copies on Amazon for example. at least i can stream a lot but would like hard copies of everything.

wavethatflag, ianuaditis and uzn007 like this.
  16. US Blues

That is The One.

17. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

Keystone Companions: The Complete 1973 Fantasy Recordings

Grateful Dead guitarist/vocalist Jerry Garcia and keyboardist Merl Saunders performed live at the Keystone in Berkeley, CA together on July 10th and 11th, 1973. Although components of this memorable show have been previously released, this is the very first time that the concert has become available in its entirety. This 4 disc box set assembles the full set list, all remastered, and in the order in which the songs were performed. The repertoire spans blues, rockabilly, jazz, funk, Broadway, Motown, two Bob Dylan songs, and Jimmy Cliff s immortal The Harder They Come.

https://www.amazon.com/Keystone-Companions-Complete-Fantasy-Recordings/dp/B0089X38C2

18. RPepper

RPepper Active Member

Where were those May shows you are referring to? I was at the RPI show in Troy, NY in May, 1978.

19. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

New Haven & Springfield

20. US Blues

That RPI show is excellent. Anything you can share about your experience would be appreciated.

Crispy Rob and footlooseman like this.
  21. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

1974-03-23 I listened to most of this but I haven't listened to the palindrome yet. OK show, very good WRS is all that really stood out though.

22. uzn007

uzn007 Pack Rat

It's quite enjoyable.

bzfgt and US Blues like this.
  23. Claxton

Claxton I like chicks and cars and partyin’ hard

It seems like Weir is finally getting some long overdue recognition in the music world.

24. Jupitermadcat

Excellent!

US Blues likes this.
  25. trd

trd Forum Resident

Disc 3 of Dave’s 30 1/2/70 Fillmore East

Dark Star -> St. Stephen -> Eleven -> Lovelight

Listened all the way through and then went back to the Dark Star for seconds