Parting with CDs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Adam9, Aug 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

That's the opposite of being environmentally friendly.

Lost In The Flood, Adam9 and walrus like this.
  2. Oh, you're right there. Always have your complete digital library backed-up on at least 2 external devices (SSDs my are my personal preferred option).

Don't forget cloud storage as well.

walrus likes this.
  3. Simple. Artists are not owed an annuity. The value proposition of most products is to own. Subscription based services that have no competition are monopolies/oligopolies and usually have diminishing returns to content providers over time. Hence streaming. Streaming pays very little to many artists vs. a lot of to a few who earn it or are worth it.

Used CDs or LPs already paid their royalty. The majority of people chose not to buy the full priced album. Why? Value proposition.

What is the solution for the record company and artist? Make a better product.

Put in a durable package (jewel case) not a flimsy sleeve that pre-scratches the disc and has no liner notes. Have better sound and liner notes and bonus tracks vs. the original. They have had plenty of opportunities to sell remastered/ re whatever and do it better, only to make it worse.

Or stop complaining your stuff doesn't sell and it isn't fair. The rest of us work for a living to pay for it.

Sajomo and Eric_Generic like this.
  4. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

I've had cloud storage go on me too!!!

Hence, CD collector. A hard drive is a disc, a solid state is an electronic simulation of a disc. So I'm taking my disc and moving the data to... a different disc. Then buying more discs to move THAT disc to! Doesn't sound like a pyramid scheme to me. I'll keep my original discs and then just put them on magic USB sticks as I need to.

5. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

He never made masses of money, mainly because he wrote nothing. On Bat out of Hell he was essentially a hired hand, despite his name being on it.

6. How did cloud storage fail as well? Did you get an answer from the company that ran the cloud (like Google, OneDrive etc)?

7. Bossfan

Bossfan Forum Resident

I don't buy many pure CDs per se, I only buy SACDs, DVD Audios and other 5.1 media. And, I try to buy them on the cheap. So I don't feel bad at all about my "CD" collection. Any CDs or SACDs that I can easily digitize are on my ipods. I have four ipods and listen to them a lot.

8. InStepWithTheStars

Put files in, couldn't take them out. They disappeared. That was Dropbox, I think. I've also had about six or seven Google accounts suspended when I try to use Google Sites. Either make my own, or view a pre-existing one. Fortunately I don't use Google Drive as obviously all of my technology experiences have been terrible and I'm not even going to bother trying anything new at this point. So i didn't lose anything there, although I would have if I had used it.

I appreciate you trying to offer solutions, but as you can see I am anti-technology all the way. You are fighting a losing battle. I keep my CDs and back up the important ones on flash drives and that's really all I need. :)

Eric_Generic likes this.
  9. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

He did okay, though, if he was smart (-ish) with his money. He also had movie roles, and toured decent-sized (and occasionally arena-sized) venues for 20+ years after Bat II relaunched him. Would he be a lot wealthier if he'd written that stuff? For sure. But I think the dude did alright for himself. His voice was pretty shot after the early 2000's, but I give him credit, he never gave anything less than 100% onstage, and I think he was able to sustain a career just based on that and the fan devotion that goes along with it.

10. davers

davers Forum Resident

Of course that could apply to used lps, books, etc. as well. Garth Brooks took a run at that issue many years ago but didn't get much traction.

Eric_Generic likes this.
  11. Thanks OK, although Dropbox should have answers for that.

Also, like I said, if flash drives work well for you then should proper external SSDs should as well, as a flash drive is basically that.

I'm sure they'll come down in price as time goes on. There must be a reason that they're more expensive than HDDs.
    Like I said, flash drives are SSDs. They're supposed to be more reliable than HDDs.

They're more expensive at the moment than HDDs, but they will come down in price.

This is the cheapest 1TB one I could find... just for future reference. ;)

https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Extreme-Portable-External-SDSSDE60-1T00-G25/dp/B078STRHBX

12. ubertrout

ubertrout Forum Resident

So, there's a legitimate point to be made in "I went all streaming and my life is better with less clutter in my abode." And that's fair - there's an awful lot available on streaming, and frankly most people nowadays are happy that way. But this article isn't that, with his list of what to keep and not keep that mirrors a little too precisely what's cool and what isn't. The whole article smells of someone a little older than most people writing for the paper trying to seem cool and relevant. And to that I only say...
    [​IMG]
    (to be clear, nothing wrong with aging, but jettisoning something you loved because it's no longer considered cool is just pathetic).

13. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

In the past 10 years I have given away about 200 CD's and sold about 250 more. I still have about 1500 or so and a buttload of box sets.

I have no regrets about the ones I gave away, but feel like a sucker for selling what I did.

I have all my CD's ripped to ALAC files on my PC and running out to a nice DAC. I can control it all with a phone or tablet. It's convenient and it sounds great.

The stuff in jewel cases, I would like to box up in something that is airtight and waterproof. It really is a lot of clutter. I would really like to keep just my box sets and a select few other titles out for display and have the rest neatly tucked away somewhere.

Can anyone recommend an airtight, waterproof bin?

14. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

I've eliminated jewel cases as well, they're all in JazzLoft vinyl sleeves, which I love. Digipaks, etc. are a significant percentage of my collections too... 20%?

If it all ends up in the dumpster, I don't care. I have one daughter who is a music fan, and she would try to sell it off, but it would be difficult from "over here" having to charge inflated S&H costs and such. The absence of jewel cases might be a problem too, but she could advertise on eBay that she will ship without the cases to save on postage costs. I have a good friend here who's 20-years younger, an English guy with a Turkish wife. He is into physical media and I might suggest that if the kids don't want it, they could give my collection to Barney. I'm sure that he'd be thrilled. Maybe I should 'will' it to him.

Eric_Generic likes this.
  15. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

This is a cop-out explaination, but, whatever. You are aware that vinyl record albums can wear out too, as can tapes. BTW, automobile power-trains are guaranteed for 100k, not 50k. Since cars last longer these days, fewer people replace them, particularly if they don't have the money or credit. dealers don't take that much on trade-ins anymore.

16. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

SSDs are not the next big thing. They have been a cold reality for years. Windows 10 is the final Windows are are getting. That's why they do the updates like they do. And, BTW, you can get a solid state drive for under $50!

A computer has no feelings or personality. It cannot hate anyone. If you have computer problems, it may just be you not knowing how to deal with them.

It has been my observation that many people who don't deal well with computers want them to work the way they think computers should work. To deal with a computer, you have to learn how it works and conform to it.

17. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

If you read my posts you know I don't
    buy used CDs, but according to your
    posts, you once did. Anyway, my point

wasn't about artists not being compen-
    sated.

I find it fascinating that certain interests
    within the industry are doing a brilliant
    job of persuading the public to adopt an
    ethical posture on streaming that stems
    directly from their corporate viewpoint.

mr. suit likes this.
  18. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

It bothers me how quickly people try to conform to what it seems other people are doing. I've been collecting music all my life. I would never think about getting rid of it because other people like to stream now. For me, what I do is more convenient than streaming anyways. I have a co-worker who ripped and then sold like a thousand CDs because "nobody listens to CDs anymore." My own mom was thinking of throwing away her VCR. I said why, since she has a hundred VHS tapes.. she said "nobody watches these anymore." And I said, "right, but do YOU?" She looked at me puzzled.. like being different was not an option she had considered.

19. joshm2286

joshm2286 Forum Resident

I have more store bought CDs than the guy in this article. I busted out laughing when i saw his collection and it made it into an article. Before i saw the picture i figured he had thousands of discs to unload. Yea he could donate that collection to the Good Will.

Pop_Zeus likes this.
  20. Papi Hipbone323

Papi Hipbone323 The Stouffer's Lasagna of Audiophiles

I laughed out loud when I actually saw this guy's CD collection, in light of his "dilemma." Then I read his hold-on-to/heave-ho section and he wrote that he was getting rid of Appetite For Destruction using the words "there was a time..." That's the whole point of having a collection, chowderhead! What a boring and pretentious article.

21. InStepWithTheStars

This is what happens when I try to tell a joke.

Grant likes this.
  22. dh46374

dh46374 Forum Resident

Anyone worried about their collection being a burden to their children or hauled off to the dump when you die, worry no more. Just post on these forums or another music related forum that you will give free a 1,000, 3,000, 10,000, whatever number cd collection to anyone who can come and pick it up and you will have no shortage of people willing to take them off your hands.

23. schnitzerphilip

schnitzerphilip "Modern Dad" Unlocked Award

The 1967 recording of Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band was designed to last 200 years.

The 1967 Chevrolet Corvair was designed to last 20.

And a physical CD is not comparable to a physical automobile. There are millions of 20 year old CD's out there. Probably only a dozen Corvair's. And music doesn't rely on anything physical to be consumed anymore anyway, last time I checked the Star Trek transporter hasn't been created yet.

24. schnitzerphilip

I can't read your posts because the pink type is very distracting. Not sure why you feel the need to do that.

I listened to an Avril Lavigne song for the first time in a decade today. She got paid because of it. Streaming pays artists. Used CD's rob artists.

Crimson Witch likes this.
  25. schnitzerphilip

Streaming Audio is a superior technology to CD because of convenience, depth of catalog, and value.
    Streaming Video is a superior technology to VHS because of convenience, depth of catalog, and picture quality.

If you want to hold on to your relics for the sake of nostalgia, feel free, I collect vintage wristwatches, I get it. But don't act like the old stuff is better than the new stuff. It isn't. There are compelling reasons to join us in the 21st century.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.