Ultimate HQCD (UHQCD) - new CD format, King Crimson on UHQCD and more

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by toilet_doctor, Aug 10, 2016.

1. toilet_doctor

toilet_doctor "Rockin' chair's got me" Thread Starter

The goal of this thread is to verify whether this combined scam sounds better than each of its component.

Both, Uni and Warner claimed that: “Even if you do not have MQA-enabled hardware/software, the disc can also be played on regular CD players in UHQCD 44.1kHz/16bit resolution, which is far better than that of regular CD.That scam already has been verified in post #3, page 1.

As for surprises, Uni swears that it will be the last scam they paid for the license to come up with, calling it “the last breed in CD development”.

Each CD has its combo-scam logo:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
    patient_ot and Hymie the Robot like this.
  2. toilet_doctor

Good idea.

3. swintonlion

swintonlion Forum Resident

Have looked and it seems like the this release says that the Jackson Browne cd uses a 2014 remaster 24 bit.

toilet_doctor likes this.
  4. toilet_doctor

It really is 2014 24-bit Remaster! I may was too harsh on Warner...

Shvartze Shabbos and swintonlion like this.
  5. petertakov

petertakov Forum Resident

Ok, a general question about these releases - is any of them a new master that is not already available at a fraction of the price in the CD outlet bins? Because if this is the case, there is absolutely nothing else to discuss other than the claimed merits of the technology.

6. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

Isn't that the idea of this thread? To ultimately find that out.

Your post seems naive. They don't put that info on the sleeves.

7. petertakov

petertakov Forum Resident

:)))) Oh, yes - I am the naive one in this thread.

8. Hymie the Robot

Thanks for acknowledging that FACT. Maybe english isn't your first language? You certainly don't understand what sarcasm is. I am going to give you the benefit of the doubt that much of this thread is getting lost in your translation. Good luck going forward.

9. toilet_doctor

You know, petertakov, what is the biggest problem of yours:
    Whatever you say has already been said;
    Everything you want to discuss has already been discussed.

10. swintonlion

swintonlion Forum Resident

The Rickie Lee Jones cd is a new 2019 24 bit remaster.

art and toilet_doctor like this.
  11. Hymie the Robot

So you know witch albums are the "new masters" and you are keeping that to yourself or are you just thread crapping and have zero to add?

12. Hymie the Robot

So it is all about the format for you and your post about "new masters" really was a ruse to get in your thread crap. Got it.

noname74 likes this.
  13. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Yes...as far as I know the Ringo Starr mastering on the MQA discs is unique. And really good.

14. noname74

Really? I put my disc in and hit play and it plays. Remember you don’t need an MQA Player or DAC for these to get the regular “red book” source on the disc.

15. Hymie the Robot

...but the 205 is a MQA player...allegedly.

jhm likes this.
  16. sixtieswerebest

sixtieswerebest Forum Resident

yes that's what I keep hearing the red book layer Plays fine, while I already know that I didn't buy it for the red book layer I bought it because I wanted a high-resolution recording of it so that's where I don't get this whole UHQ is so easy and wonderful because it ain't.

17. sixtieswerebest

sixtieswerebest Forum Resident

But unfortunately you don't just pop in the disk on the 205 and get 384-24. There is more to it and if someone has successfully played the high res on the unit I'd be most appreciative of knowing the steps you took.

Hymie the Robot likes this.
  18. Hymie the Robot

I don't think you can sadly. Hopefully I am wrong but I doubt it.

noname74 likes this.
  19. lapepalz

lapepalz Forum Resident

Yes, I know this info... but. is this new DSD master in 2018 better than Platinum or Steve master?

20. Musicisthebest

Musicisthebest Exiled Yorkshireman

Certainly not to my ears, as I posted many pages earlier in this thread.

What's come to light since I posted my comments is that I'd be surprised if they really did use the US original master tapes. In the thread The Day The Music Burned it states that the Steely Dan masters (or at least some of them) were destroyed in the Universal fire.

21. toilet_doctor

Guys, in post No. 1455, I predicted what remaster to expect, based on previous Japanese releases. However, Warner took this project more seriously. They were based on world-wide releases, and also did a new remastering. (That's why the release was delayed, I think).
    I have to apologize to Warner, who finally came up with all the titles that were remastered in the 24-bit version. Ricky Lee Jones S/T, Bette Midler Rose and Little Feet Dixie Chicken are now the new 2019 Remaster. Unfortunately, CSNY was cancelled due to (I guess) disagreement with the artists.
    Information on the 2 tittles Christopher Cross S/T and Donald Fagen Nightfly needs to be clarified.
    I collected all the remastering information that I took from the back of the OBI:

Warner MQA UHQCD Releases (with year of remastering)

Aug. 07, 2019

America Horse Without Name – 2013 24bit/196kHz remaster; MQA – 24bit/176.4kHz
    Yes Close To The Edge - 2013 24bit/196kHz remaster; MQA – 24bit/176.4kHz
    Van Morrison Astral Weeks - 2014 24bit/196kHz remaster; MQA – 24bit/176.4kHz
    Christopher Cross S/T - 2015 24bit/196kHz remaster; MQA – 24bit/176.4kHz
    Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young Deja Vu - Cancelled
    Jackson Browne Late For The Sky - 2014 24bit/196kHz remaster; MQA – 24bit/176.4kHz
    Joni Mitchell Blue - 2013 24bit/196kHz remaster; MQA – 24bit/176.4kHz
    Deep Purple Machine Head - 2000 24bit/96kHz remaster for DVD-A; MQA – 24bit/88kHz
    The Doobie Brothers The Captain and Me - 2016 24bit/196kHz remaster; MQA – 24bit/176.4kHz
    Donald Fagen Nightfly - 2002 24bit/96kHz remaster for DVD-A; MQA – 24bit/44.1kHz
    Bette Midler The Rose (Original Soundtrack) - 2019 24bit/196kHz remaster; MQA – 24bit/176.4kHz
    Ramones S/T - 2014 24bit/196kHz remaster; MQA – 24bit/176.4kHz
    Rickie Lee Jones S/T - 2019 24bit/196kHz remaster; MQA – 24bit/176.4kHz
    Little Feet Dixie Chicken - 2019 24bit/196kHz remaster; MQA – 24bit/176.4kHz
    Anita Baker Rapture - 2015 24bit/196kHz remaster; MQA – 24bit/176.4kHz

I tried the 45 second new remaster samplers provided by cdjapan and really liked what I heard:

CDJapan : Rickie Lee Jones [Hi-Res CD (MQA x UHQCD)] [Limited Release] Tracklisting

PhantomStranger likes this.
  22. noname74

Not everything that’s been reported is true about what was and wasn’t in that warehouse.

23. toilet_doctor

(from the Post #876, page 36)
    Non-decoded MQA Sonic Comparison

2018 Aja MQA UHQCD vs. 2010 (transfer) Aja Platinum SHM-CD

1. Openness of the Sound: 9 / 9
    2. Soundstage: 7 / 7
    3. Airiness and Separation
    (between the instruments): 9 / 9
    4. Bass Performance: 7 / 9
    5. Dynamics: 9 / 10
    6. Trebles: 9 / 10
    7. Overall Clarity of the Sound: 10 / 10
    8. Comparison w/ Reference disc
    (Pt Wishbone Ash Argus - 10 points): {8/10} / {9/10}

As we can see, both discs are very close, but Pt performed better in the Bass department, and a ted better in Dynamics and in the top of the spectrum.

System used:
    Power amp: PLINIUS 103
    Preamp: PLINIUS KAITAKI
    Player: OPPO BDP 105D
    Speakers: DALI HELICON 400

24. lapepalz

lapepalz Forum Resident

Thank you very much, I save a few dollar stories ... thanks!

toilet_doctor likes this.
  25. I just received the Ramones S/T and Yes CTTE MQA and all of the Elton John SHM remasters in a large order from CD Japan. I did not buy Rickie Lee Jones but have this recent remaster and it sounds terrific much better than the 30 year old Warner CD. Anyone have this SHM version and the new MQA to compare?

Btw, I have only listened to Elton Greatest Hits Vol. 1 and Dear Lord it sounds amazing which bodes well for the other 12 in the series as this is effectively a sampler of same. If you are an Elton John fan, get rid of the 1995 Rocket Remasters (or hold onto them for nostalgia like me) and order the new 2018 SHM-CD’s. It’s like someone finally lifted the blanket of the speakers. Crystal clear highs, nice smooth mids and vocals and punchy bass, flat transfer or not (I can’t say for sure) this is the way Elton should sound. Will try to post more in depth as I play them all.

So to reiterate anyone compare the new MQA to this SHM from 2016?

Rickie Lee Jones [SHM-CD] [Low-priced Reissue] Rickie Lee Jones CD Album

Rickie Lee Jones - Rickie Lee Jones

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019