Denis Leary-What's your opinion on his acting in films?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Twelvepitch, Aug 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bostonscoots

bostonscoots Forum Resident

The first movie I liked Denis Leary in was the remake of The Thomas Crown Affair - his relationship with Rene Russo's uptight, jet-setting art insurance investigator was one of the better changes from the original. Leary is especially strong at the end when he makes it clear to Russo that chasing art thieves was a waste of his time because bad people are out there doing worse things to good people than stealing paintings.

2. ElevatorSkyMovie

ElevatorSkyMovie Senior Member

Jimmy James is an awesome character. Root was great the movie Dodgeball as well.

3. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

He’s hit or miss. I’ve liked him in some things while finding him so so in others.

4. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Yes it was non snark laden. I appreciate that. @audiomixer just took a little more time of explain the nuances a bit better. No offense.

5. samurai

samurai Step right up! See the glory, of the royal scam.

We don't just raise the bar
    We are the bar

Not a fan of Denis Leary

audiomixer likes this.
  6. Jack Lord

Jack Lord Forum Resident

I would say .... not too bad.

Knew his comedy first and found that pretty funny. Then I saw him play the stepfather in a little known gem called The Sandlot. Not a big role. Not a particularly challenging role. But the character was about as un-Denis Leary as could be and he did fine.

Then I saw him in the much too short-lived show called The Job. Cynical, hard drinking NYC detective. Perfect role for him. Funny show.

That led to Rescue Me. I have not seen all of it but it struck me as a more complex variant of the guy from The Job.

He is no Bogart but who is?

showtaper likes this.
  7. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I don’t think you really want me to answer that.

:rolleyes:

audiomixer likes this.
  8. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

9. Twelvepitch

Twelvepitch Musician and analog enthusiast Thread Starter

He looks a lot like me... put curly hair on his head and voila... he looks a good bit like me.

10. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

He annoyed me with his schtick in the 90s. The I'm an ******* song is kind of funny. Rescue Me was pretty good at times and pretty bad at others. He was fine in it. I can't think of anything else I've seen him in.

Twelvepitch likes this.
  11. Twelvepitch

[​IMG]
    Here I am, looking irritated and tired, engineering at a friend's house for some folk musicians' recording session. See the comparison?

12. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

This thread seems awfully weird and somewhat oddly obsessive.

@OP you look ZERO like him, but hold to that notion fast.

jon9091 and Twelvepitch like this.
  13. Twelvepitch

I shouldn't have gone off course, but I did. Who do I look like other than myself?

14. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Two eyes...check.
    A nose...check.
    A mouth...check.

You two could be twins!

;)

GodShifter likes this.
  15. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

[​IMG]

You look like this kid...Max Prado (who sadly passed away far too early).

Twelvepitch likes this.
  16. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

I found his standup and humor work one-note and tiring, and he's been in some dumb movies and not risen above them. I do, however, feel his acting in Rescue me was truly excellent, and included a range of dramatic and comedic scenes and plot lines that I don't see anyone pulling off well unless they have some pretty good acting talent. Many comedians are terrible actors - but a good number are actually better dramatic actors than comedic ones, and I think Leary fits into that group.

Oh, and yes, I am totally sick of hearing his voice on Ford commercials. :)

@TheSeldomSeenKid 's response to you was civil and reasonable. A forum is by definition a place where people come together to discuss things with each other. If you don't want to be quoted or responded to, then don't post a comment.

If you would say more about what your interaction with Leary entailed, it would be helpful. The problem with expressing such a strong opinion about someone (positive or negative) based on the claim that you worked with them, is that people are naturally going to ask themselves how intensive, or incidental, your interaction actually was, and what the basis is for your opinion: Were they horrible to you and everyone around you on an extended basis on multiple occasions? Or were you in a studio where they came in to do a voiceover one time and they were late and tired and crabby? Or something in between? Without such info, you're not doing much more than stating, and restating, the fact that you work in the industry.

TheSeldomSeenKid likes this.
  17. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

(audiomixer said)
    "I don't even know where to start with such an uninformed post. I recorded voice over for more than 40 years. They do "emote, use facial gestures, they move, and some even memorize the lines so they can "act" better.
    You are absolutely wrong on this one."
    (thtomh said)
    If you would say more about what your interaction with Leary entailed, it would be helpful. The problem with expressing such a strong opinion about someone (positive or negative) based on the claim that you worked with them, is that people are naturally going to ask themselves how intensive, or incidental, your interaction actually was, and what the basis is for your opinion: Were they horrible to you and everyone around you on an extended basis on multiple occasions? Or were you in a studio where they came in to do a voiceover one time and they were late and tired and crabby? Or something in between? Without such info, you're not doing much more than stating, and restating, the fact that you work in the industry.
    (audiomixer replies)
    I choose not to go into detail about my past career. And I don't feel the need to publicly go into detail on this forum if I don't want to. I stated what happened & that's all I am willing to share.

18. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

The kid from “Boy Meets World”?

Twelvepitch likes this.
  19. audiomixer

I'm sorry...

20. DLD

DLD Senior Member

Can't stand him.

Brenald79 and audiomixer like this.
  21. audiomixer

:righton:

22. audiomixer

I choose not to go into detail about my past career. I stated what happened & that's all I am willing to share.

23. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

I liked him in "The Job" and "Rescue Me". Nothing after, so far.

24. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

We’re all ears. :D

25. Twelvepitch

Ben Savage? My! We do look alike! I thank you for your compliment!

GodShifter likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.