Language question: Why has "vinyls" become a word?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by TMegginson, Aug 13, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Hi, Millennial here. I grew up with both. I don't do that s€£t

2. sunking101

sunking101 Forum Resident

Erasure famously sang about the fishes in the sea...

Man at C&A and Paul H like this.
  3. classicrockguy

classicrockguy Forum Resident

Just for the record (sorry:D), are records really made out of vinyl or is it some kind of other plastic?

4. tables_turning

tables_turning In The Groove

I still use "records" or "LPs", and sometimes "albums". It makes sense to me to use "vinyl" as a format descriptor, but not as a pluralized object label.

5. BwanaBob

BwanaBob Forum Resident

If you say "vinyls" you should go to the liberry and ax for a dictionary. :D

PointsNorth, Queezma, SirMarc and 3 others like this.
  6. sami

sami Mono still rules

Do and due. That's another one I see more and more.

7. sami

sami Mono still rules

In Febuary. And ask for a samwich while you are there. Or their.

David Stilesson and PointsNorth like this.
  8. davebush

davebush New Test Leper

Now that we're venting - I keep seeing "could of".

9. JohnS

JohnS Senior Member

I don't lose sleep over it. Language changes and evolves, as pointed out above, and it's not the first time a noun has been formed from what was originally a description of a substance.
    100 years ago, I imagine pub and cafeteria goers would be bemused at hearing someone asking for 'a beer' or 'a coffee'

10. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

I use "rekkids."

11. Kate_C.

Kate_C. abyssus abyssum invocat

your crazy

Our host already weighed-in with his pique at the heresy of this particular bit of forum ebonics:
    People, I love ya but there is no such word as VINYLS. It's "VINYL", no 's' at end.

Incidentally, I could care less because I know exactly what's meant by it. However, the otherwise gramatically correct "progressive rock" leaves me increasingly confused with each new thread.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
  12. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

A lot of people within my generation really don't have a point of reference with respect to record stores, though I am a millennial and did grew up during the times that music shops exists in every mall back in the day. Let alone that most don't even have a point of reference to vinyl records.

Personally, I cannot stand "vinyls" or "vinyl player" as I see this being used countless times online and in the real world. Instead, I personally use LPs, EPs, and records.

13. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Polyvinyl chloride.

Grant and Hammerpeg like this.
  14. SoporJoe

SoporJoe Forum Resident

People here are often spelling “lose” as “loose”. That’s a bigger mystery to me.

15. tables_turning

tables_turning In The Groove

Traditionally, polyvinylchloride was/is used with added plasticizers to allow for flexibility. Some manufacturers in the past used styrene (as in Columbia 45s, for instance).

Grant and Greg Gee like this.
  16. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

Maybe they're not saying what you assumed when they wrote "You loose."

SoporJoe likes this.
  17. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

[​IMG]

tin ears and SoporJoe like this.
  18. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Actually that might not help because there have been examples of the use of the word vinyls in the past. There was an entertaining article about the plural of this world that was floating around the last time this was discussed on here. The article was written, not from fans of records angle, but from an english professor (IIRC). General consensus was that it's technically not incorrect.

I haven't traced it's usage back and done studies on it, but I noticed the use at first amongst people who's first language was not English. Not making a slight here towards anyone, as it makes sense that someone, who's first language is not English, might think it's perfectly logical that that would be the plural. However, the English language isn't always that logically. :)

All Down The Line likes this.
  19. JohnS

JohnS Senior Member

Don't open up THAT can of worms, please.... :D

Sneezyachew and intv7 like this.
  20. When In Rome

When In Rome It's far from being all over...

Regarding the term vinyl, I grew up with records, LP's and albums. Amazon use the term vinyl for records as do many other online stores. In fact, the ones who produce the records call them vinyl - 'Back to Black', 'The Sound of Vinyl', 'Music on Vinyl'. So its just become the new vernacular for records.
    As for vinyls, well thats just how some folk add 's' to everything, e.g.
    "Hey, did you see all those sheeps back there?"
    "It's Sheep, without the S!"
    "Oh... hey, did you see all those heeps back there?"
    Etc.

MonkeyTennis likes this.
  21. bunglejerry

bunglejerry Forum Resident

As a medium, I prefer vinyls to plastics-and-aluminums.

(Or is that 'alumina'?)

ianuaditis and TMegginson like this.
  22. Kristofa

Kristofa Enthusiast of small convenient sound carrier units

The same day “interwebs” crept out of its dark, evil hole and laid waste to all things decent in this world.

Or perhaps “vinyls” surfaced once the ecology started rebounding after “interwebs” subsided a bit... just to kick humanity when it was already down.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
  23. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

Ignorance, plain and simple. :shrug:

24. Language evolves.

PopularChuck and TMegginson like this.
  25. TMegginson

TMegginson Forum Resident Thread Starter

I was (foolishly) coming at this from a descriptive, rather than a prescriptive, POV.

I write for a living (in advertising) so I try to pay attention to changes in my language. I grew up with a stereo in our living room, since my dad had been a DJ when he was in high school and university (that's him in my avatar). In late-70s Eastern Ontario, Canada, 331/3s (LPs) were "records," 7" singles were "forty-fives," and the 10" format seemed remotely historical. In the dance-mix '80s, we added "EPs" to the vocabulary to cover 12" records with remixes or a few bonus tracks, often at 45 rpm.

For me, at age 49, "records" means LPs in general, but I can buy 45s and EPs at the "record store." (I can even buy CDs there, although I've never used the term "CD store," even when there were no more records at HMV, etc.)

tl;dr There are no wrong answers :)

Buddybud, Queezma and ianuaditis like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.