Chris Rea

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by averica, Apr 9, 2019.

1. rs4951

rs4951 Forum Resident

Never warmed to this set. Lovely package but bland enough musically to me.

2. serj

serj Forum Resident

Deluxe editions (2 CD sets) of a 5 most popular albums were announced today! Road to hell, Dancing, Auberge, on the Beach, Shamrock diaries.

Comet01, Eska68, Carlox and 13 others like this.
  3. Cool hand luke

Cool hand luke There you go man, keep as cool as you can

First time i became aware of him was in the mid 80's, there was a video of Bill Wyman's project "Willie and the Poor Boys" doing "Baby Please Dont Go", featuring Chris on lead vocals. Great version. A few years later on VH1 I caught the video for "Road to Hell", wound up picking up the CD. Loved the album. From there I got a few other titles, but for me I preferred the bluesy stuff he did. Great respect for him as an artist. Very tasteful. Hope he's ok. (I tried to find the Willie and Poor Boys clip on youtube but it wasnt available. I do own the DVD though, Bill Wyman made a charming little short movie of that project, featuring a lot of great players)

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
    Jonny W and Jarleboy like this.
  4. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

Big big fan, have all of his albums including the deluxe versions

5. rs4951

rs4951 Forum Resident

Great news...hopefully he is well enough to promote and hopefully the content will make them worth the cash!

Eric_Generic and Jarleboy like this.
  6. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

Wow. I was just complaining about a lack of deluxe from Chris in a different thread. Literally two days ago. Great news!

Eric_Generic likes this.
  7. George Cooke

George Cooke Well unknown member

On the Rhino web store there is the 5 album deluxe versions plus the new
    One Fine Day (1LP + 1CD Package) limited to 1000.
    Ordered. Thanks to the OP for the alert.
    Great to have the extra 2nd discs - seem to promise to be 2019 remasters.

Chris Rea - Artists

Imagine70 and Eric_Generic like this.
  8. elgreco

elgreco Groove Meister

Interesting news. Can't find much information online, but these appear to be scheduled fot October. Amazon already has the tracklist for Shamrock diaries:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Shamrock-Diaries-2019-Remaster-Chris/dp/B07VX1T3MQ/ref=ntt_mus_ep_dpi_4
    ...and The road to hell:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Road-Hell-2019-Remaster/dp/B07W17NWL1/ref=ntt_mus_dp_dpt_1

Comet01 and Eric_Generic like this.
  9. rs4951

rs4951 Forum Resident

Looks like the five are also available as a set for 75 euro..
    one fine day...possibly the lost 1981 album previously named Smile?

10. rs4951

rs4951 Forum Resident

Quoting and correcting myself..the tracks on One fine day look like what was callled The Lost Tapes...the unreleased Smile album is a separate project...perhaps one we will see at a later date.

George Cooke likes this.
  11. serj

serj Forum Resident

Remastering is worry me a little bit.. Most of the old Chris Rea CD's sounds very good, IMHO. I'm in minority here, but i'm not fond of the most Rhino remastering job.

Carlox and Eric_Generic like this.
  12. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

Interesting sound, a point in time. Slide guitar and lush production values, an odd combination.

13. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

:edthumbs:

Comet01 and team2 like this.
  14. elgreco

elgreco Groove Meister

It depends - some are better than others. But I agree that most original Chris Rea CDs sound fantastic. No need to have these remastered - you just need to turn them up. I'm quite the Chris Rea fan and think these 5 are his very best albums. But it solely depends on the bonus tracks if I'm going to re-buy these or not. Oh, and the mastering should not be atrocious. My first impression is that the bonus tracks aren't really essential.

Wondering if the new standard CD of Shamrock diaries will include the original version of Josephine BTW.

15. serj

serj Forum Resident

Yes, this albums are fantastic. But i like "Water Sign" and "Banana skin" no less:). And i still don't have "Auberge" in my collection - so i will try the new deluxe of it.

Eric_Generic likes this.
  16. rs4951

rs4951 Forum Resident

Bonus tracks....a little underwhelming given that I expected that he would have more outtakes as he always talked about how much stuff he wrote. However, his health may have inhibited his involvement / ability to polish such tracks up for release, hence the use of mostly live tracks, remixes and b sides.
    A bit confused by the repetitious inclusion of a Josephine across a few of the deluxe. Not clear which versions are being used or why the song appears on four of the five sets.

Eric_Generic likes this.
  17. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Yes, I wonder about that too. There's the original LP version, the 1985 single remix, the Version Francaise, and the 1988 recording for New Light Through Old Windows...those are the ones that I can think of, anyway.

I've been wanting all the B-sides in CD quality for a number of years, so hopefully these sets will fulfill that need. Happy to get them all, if so :righton:

EG.

18. rs4951

rs4951 Forum Resident

It will be good to get those b sides. Look out for me is one particular track I love.

BTW, any view on whether One Fne Day might come out later as cd only? The vinyl is not on my wish list so don't want the combined package. I really like the self titled album that uses some of the songs on OFD so a, interested to hear their original versions.

Jarleboy and Eric_Generic like this.
  19. elgreco

elgreco Groove Meister

Those are the best known versions out there. Also, the original vinyl single of Josephine included a B-side with a slower, bluesier version IIRC.

But Chris has made lots of versions of this song. Wikipedia states: "Josephine" is a track that Rea has re-recorded many times. The version released on the original LP was replaced in later CD editions by the "disco" version, which is also the basis for the later "Josephine (La version Francais)". The original LP version was later made available on the French release "The Best of Chris Rea" in 1998. There is also the version recorded in 1988 for "New Light Through Old Windows", also available on the 1994 "The Best of Chris Rea". Additionally, there is the slower version released on the U.S. edition of "New Light Through Old Windows" in 1988, also available on the 2001 "Very Best of Chris Rea" which is itself similar, though not identical to the version used in the original video from 1985. Finally in 2008 another re-recording was released on the Germany-only "Fool (If You Think It's Over)-The Definitive Greatest Hits."

And this Dutch fanpage really checks them all out: http://www.chrisrea.nl/community/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=764&start=45

20. rs4951

rs4951 Forum Resident

Those 2008 re-recordings were terrible. At least the 1988 efforts on New Light... were good, although not as good as the originals; 2008 was just Chris on his own cheapening the tracks down to Casio-karaoke level.

Josephine has some complicated history for sure!

Hopefully this batch does well as I'd love to have similar sets for Self titled, Water sign and Wired to the moon - although it is unlikely given that they were not big sellers. More possible are sets of remixes, rarities, b sides etc ....he has so many it hard to keep track.

Noted that each release has an interview with Chris about the album..

Eric_Generic likes this.
  21. nsm

nsm Forum Resident

Any news / releases are great & i'm looking forward to the LP One Fine Day, however I might pass on the CD's as most bonus tracks are B-Sides, remixes etc.
    Which I know are good to have in one place but I have 90% of the tracks on CD singles etc. I was hoping that there would be more outtakes, demos & the like with each CD.
    I wonder if the plan to do any more after this ? I know these are his " Golden Period " releases, but God's Great Banana Skin & Espresso Logic were also big sellers in their day.
    My big wish....which i'm sure will never happen, is that albums from The Blue Cafe through to The Blue Jukebox will get a vinyl release.....I know I can dream !!
    His UK vinyl pressings mostly sound great, playing his self titled LP now...sounds fantastic.

Eric_Generic likes this.
  22. BourbonAndVinyl

BourbonAndVinyl Forum Resident

I love the song "Workin' On It." I honestly don't know much about him. I think Rod Stewart covered one of his songs...

Eric_Generic likes this.
  23. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Yes, Windy Town on his 1995 set Spanner In The Works (which also has superb covers of The Blue Nile and Tom waits songs).

EG.

BourbonAndVinyl likes this.
  24. rs4951

rs4951 Forum Resident

One my favourite music "moments of joy" back in '95 was reading that my fav singer was covering my fav song by my second fav singer :) ....and Rod didn't let me down. Great version from a great album (Dylan, Sam Cooke, Frankie Miller and Tom Petty songs on the same album too).

BourbonAndVinyl and Eric_Generic like this.
  25. rs4951

rs4951 Forum Resident

Well it appears four times across these sets.. two live and one extended mix.

Excluding the basic songs on the five actual albums, 13 songs appear more than once as bonus tracks in some form...

Eric_Generic likes this.