Pink Floyd The Later Years - Specul/ation (Pre-release)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DylanPeggin, Jul 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Last I heard it was.

2. pinkpurpl

pinkpurpl Forum Resident

I would like to see "Echoes 87" included rehearsal or in concert

RangerXT and hiterss like this.
  3. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

I think someone mentioned here somewhere that that track is some vocal version of Terminal Frost.

4. floydfan2410

floydfan2410 Forum Resident

Yes! That would be great. Though not the best versions, and all versions I've heard has Gilmour and Wright forgetting lyrics, they are still a great listen, especially Gilmours solos kick ass! He has a really great sound IMO.
    I hope they include one or two live versions.

I believe that is pure speculation. Hopefully we will find out soon enough :)

RangerXT and Sytze like this.
  5. pinkpurpl

pinkpurpl Forum Resident

Peace be with you could be part of the first early AMLOR Version. I hope, we get this version

6. jonboy71

jonboy71 Forum Resident

That's not the case at all. There was a Do Your Own Lead version of Terminal Frost that was supposed to be without the lead guitar, but it was mixed just like the album version. Peace Be With You has nothing to do with it and @rontoon said the plan was to include this as far as he knows.

RangerXT, rontoon and Sytze like this.
  7. floydophile

floydophile Well-Known Member

And I am wondering whether a proper 'Terminal Frost (DYOL-Version)' will be released. So far, we have only got a redundant / regular edit of 'Terminal Frost', which erroneously has that name suffix ...

D-rock likes this.
  8. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

Sure, pure speculation. Still: that "ta-da-da-da" theme from Terminal Frost is now stuck in my head as "peace-be-with-you"... it does fit, haha. We'll see...

9. wilberforce55

wilberforce55 Forum Resident

It is truly amazing how much the "80s sound" permeated so many established artists

a duet between Elvis Costello and John Hiatt just came up on my iphone

Elvis costello is usually such a traditionalist in terms of music, but there were the 80s synthesized drums echoing though both ears.

The de-80s version of AMLOR is what i am looking forward to most in this box, now if roger can de 80s KAOS all would be good in the world

10. Philrock90

Philrock90 Forum Resident

I'll give this de-80s AMLOR a listen but i have doubts it will end up being my go to i think maybe the 5.1 might be my go to same with Division Bell that or the vinyl version

11. LarsO

LarsO Forum Resident

I used to have the opinion that the 80's drum and synth sound is simply a less good type of music. However, I have found that it is nice to have the variety and sometimes I'm just more in the mood for that type of thing. One of the reasons I like Radio KAOS is that it is so 80's in a cruising down the street in a convertible wearing aviator shades kind of way :cool:

St. Troy, Runicen, RangerXT and 4 others like this.
  12. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

About de-eightiesizing (or whatchamacallit). Remember that sometimes the song were built up around the programming, the sequenced synths etc etc. Taking that out of a production will sometimes leave the song with not much...

Matt S and Philrock90 like this.
  13. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

They're not just being taken out they're being replaced.

14. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

I figure we must be getting close to an announcement

15. Josip

Josip Forum Resident

I think I've seen this quote already in this thread somewhere... :)

16. pinkpurpl

pinkpurpl Forum Resident

Is it possible that David Gilmour and Nick Mason promote the box together?

That would be cool.

And if it is allowed to dream....they can do a promotion concert - 2 songs from every studio album - in a small theater in London together with Jon Carin and Guy Pratt.

LarsO likes this.
  17. tcj

tcj Senior Member

I've been listening to AMLOR a lot the past week. It's an important album to me - the first album I bought that didn't feel like music meant for kids/teens. I always kind of consider it my first REAL music purchase. Anyway, I have a lot of history with it and despite the negative reactions from most PF fans, I consider it a favorite. So while I'm intrigued and excited about this new version, I'm also a little iffy on it because I've either never really noticed, or cared, or maybe I've just forgiven its instantly dated production. The album feels built around the 80s sound - the drums, especially, have a reverb on them you won't find anywhere today, and that sound is given a lot of space in the mix. I really can't imagine what it would sound like without that. I don't see it replacing the original for me but, like the recent remix of King Crimson's Thrak, it'll be an interesting way to hear it (unlike The ReConstruKction of Light, which is so good that it has made the original feel unnecessary.)

Billy_Sunday and coffeetime like this.
  18. Billy Infinity

Billy Infinity Beloved aunt

This will never happen, but I *love* this idea.

19. pinkpurpl

pinkpurpl Forum Resident

I know, it' s dream. To clear things up. Two songs from every later years studio album...

Billy Infinity likes this.
  20. I bought AMLOR my freshman year in college, a few months into the year (maybe even as much as 2-3 months after it came out) -- but critically, I got it just a month or two after started on my very first fairly deep dive into Pink Floyd. Up until that point, I only knew what I knew from the radio -- though K-SHE95 (in St Louis) was known to play any/all of the big 3 cuts from Animals from time to time, as well as every track off Wish You Were Here too (including "Shine On 6-9").

So AMLOR was part of only my second-ever "deep dive" into an artist's entire catalog (the first being Jimi Hendrix, my first really big musical love in high-school). I remember there being lots of press about Pink Floyd being back again, and I really loved AMLOR back in the day. But my tastes moved on to Zappa within a year, and eventually Miles Davis (and Sun Ra), and I move away from Floyd generally so much, that I never even bought a copy of The Division Bell until 2003. And AMLOR had not aged especially well, imho -- though I'm famous for saying that every time I listen to it (about 1-2x annually), it's alternately a lot better (or else a lot worse) than the last time I heard it.

I do think the production is really a problem with most of AMLOR. There are some great tunes on side 1, but a lot of bad production choices there too. Side 2 isn't quite as strong tune-wise, but oddly -- I think side 2 is a much better listening experience, especially "Sorrow".

I'm really hoping they will be bold with what they've decided to do with de-80's-izing AMLOR. It's not a dreadful album, certainly -- but I think it does need a lot of freshening up. I hope the contrast is significant, is my main point. Not jarring, but it's an album that really could 'sing' a lot more than it does. The Endless River, being such a lovely and remarkable album -- I'm certainly hoping the same team that put it together, is the one working their magic on AMLOR.

St. Troy and tkl7 like this.
  21. Brautigan

Brautigan Well-Known Member

22. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

That’s some of the worst dreck I’ve ever seen. Pink Floyd wine box? Barbecue tools? They just uploaded a logo and told the site to just put it on everything they sell.
    The poker chip set would be nice, but I’m sure the chips are just generic.

23. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

I want to reply to this but I'm afraid it will wind up getting labelled "off topic and nonsense" so I guess I'll say nothing :targettiphat:

24. xXFloydianXx

xXFloydianXx One Slip, and down the hole we fall

I hope that isn't the case, personally. I'd assume they want to push the big box first. That, and they haven't posted anything Animals on their social media pages in awhile. It's all been Gilmour era related, sans some 60s posts sprinkled in between.

25. Sigma6

Sigma6 Forum Resident

I would love to hear that first version.

pinkpurpl likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.