Rolling Stones 2019 U.S. Summer Tour

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bowie Fett, Nov 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

I’m glad the MetLife vote winners were “She’s a Rainbow” and “Monkey Man.”

I mentioned the first one on this thread a lot......and was hoping the second would be part of the vote.

2. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

I think they put a different candidate title on each screen/tower (there are four candidates every night), and they morph into the winner.

Hot Ptah and Matthew Tate like this.
  3. Is Lisa Fischer on this tour?

4. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

No.

Matthew Tate and MarkO like this.
  5. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Lisa left the touring band in 2016 and is focusing on her solo appearances.

Matthew Tate, TonyCzar and MarkO like this.
  6. Hot Ptah

Hot Ptah Forum Resident In Memoriam

Sasha Allen is the female singer on this tour. I thought she was great in Denver on “Gimme Shelter.”

7. Hot Ptah

Also about Sasha Allen. While this is superficial and shallow compared to her singing (which seemed excellent in Denver), she is young and thin which is a contrast to the others on stage. The others may be thin but they are definitely not young looking.

She has an appealing stage presence but with a touch of intensity. She reminded me of how Aretha Franklin’s backup singers presented themselves onstage when I saw her in 1981.

On “Miss You” she clowned around with Ron Wood, dancing and touching him from behind. We were laughing, saying to each other “he must just love that!” It must have been quite a highlight for an old man.

JoeRockhead and Matthew Tate like this.
  8. Hot Ptah

Another impression from the Denver show. I had always thought of Ron Wood as “the guy not as good as Mick Taylor” at least subconsciously. No more. He was great both in the band work and especially in his solos. Apart from Jagger he had the most physical energy onstage, almost like youthful glee at times. He really impressed me this time.

Keith Richards seemed detached at times unless you can really play the iconic licks with one hand barely moving on the guitar.
    But then he would come up with things that were incredible, like his amazingly intense and tough solo on “Sympathy for the Devil”. At times Keith was so good that I thought “is this really happening right in front of me?”

9. Brian Resource

Brian Resource Forum Resident

He is not a stone alone when it comes to that. He is the one that is always singled out for it though.

Mick beat Marianne after a concert during 1967 tour. Source - Marianne.

Keith beat Anita during a flight in early 70's. Source - Stu.

Ronnie, has had issues with his temper through the years.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  10. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

And as I said, you're comparing two different eras of publicity. The press game was very different in 1965 vs. 2015...

11. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Sasha Allen has put on a lot of weight, but I suppose by Western standards she’s still thin. She’s a great vocalist.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  12. Hot Ptah

If she has put on a lot of weight I wonder what she looked like before!

Matthew Tate and TonyCzar like this.
  13. Brian999

Brian999 SLY

I love the video of LIB and DF. The band are truly enjoying themselves. Are there flubs and imperfections..sure At least there is no lip synching, hidden guitars, 2 drummers etc. Bernard and Sasha are there to help with the backing vox, and Chuck helps with the song tempos etc.

At least they are doing it live flaws and all. The Stones have never been a pretty live band. For a bunch of mid to late 70's men, I think they do just fine.

Can you imagine Beyonce, Gaga,Taylor Swift,Brittney, Rihanna, Madonna, and some of these other "pop tarts" doing this without the safety net of pre-recorded guide vocals or piped in music!?!? If one hair is out of place, or something goes awry their entire "live" show goes to hell.

14. Brian999

Brian999 SLY

Not sure about the weight, but I am not a huge fan of her singing. I enjoyed Lisa for the most part until she got a bit too gospel with her vox the last couple of Stones tours. Still wondering if she really "quit"

15. MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy Forum Resident

I really don't look at the backup folks. The lifestyle can be cruel: a lot of sitting around all day, a lot of big meals. It takes a lot of discipline to skip breakfast and any post-gig snacks.

16. Brian999

Brian999 SLY

GoodKitty and Matthew Tate like this.
  17. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

You seem to dislike female performers. I am pretty sure Lady Gaga performs her vocals live, though.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  18. Brian999

Brian999 SLY

I like female performers, just not the ones who need to lipsynch. Im just pointing out the ones who have been busted. Though I am not a big fan of the ladies I listed.

Here is Gaga-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNcSbLIliNo

budwhite and Matthew Tate like this.
  19. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

Gaga often sings over, across, and with (her own) pre-recorded vocals. She often talks over them or goes off beat, probably to vividly demonstrate that she's still in the room with the pre-recorded vocal effects. Some songs (like Bad Romance, Sexdreams, and, yes, Poker Face) are impossible to do satisfactorily otherwise.

The big chorus-hook on the studio recording of "Poker Face" is at least two Gagas.

The opening of "Judas" (the 2nd song in the following clip, at 02:53) is a vivid example that she's happy to not move her lips as her disembodied self delivers the song's opening hook.Later, at 4:04, she's doing it again: "singing" without moving her lips. But everyone gets to peek behind the Wizard's curtain.

Think of it as the sampled cowbell for "Honky Tonk Women" (or those moments in the show where you can hear Bernard Fowler, but not see him anywhere....)

GoodKitty and Matthew Tate like this.
  20. Old fogeys they may be but I am incredibly excited to see THE ROLLING STONES tomorrow night. Gimme shelter indeed.

laf848, GoodKitty, Oatsdad and 8 others like this.
  21. Liam Brown

Liam Brown Forum Resident

just a pointless note that the cowbell is not sampled on "Honky Tonk Women", Chuck Leavell plays it, as seen here :
    Honky Tonk Women by the Rolling Stones in Chicago 2019

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
  22. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

Matthew Tate and Hot Ptah like this.
  23. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

AWK-ward!!!

[​IMG]
    (Photo by Bjornulf Vik, linked from iorr.org)

24. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Me too.

Been waiting 13 years for a return visit to the PNW. This show might be one of the tougher tickets on this run.

No sign of the song vote. Maybe Vedder gets his "rock star make-a-wish-foundation" moment...for the 3rd or 4th time.

MarkO and Hot Ptah like this.
  25. MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy Forum Resident

Sorry, I don't think people on a Stones thread are going to click on a Lady Gaga clip.

Matthew Tate likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.