Linn sondek, lingo power supply and other questions

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Danielisr, Aug 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Danielisr

Danielisr Member Thread Starter

Hey everyone,
    I just bought the linn sondek
    Linn basik lv x tonearm
    Ortofon 2m blue
    This is great upgrade for me after replacing my pro ject rpm 1 carbon( acrylic upgrade) with nagaoka mp 110 cartridge.
    Connected to
    Ion nexus sp 1 preamp
    Ion nexus sam40
    Two- ion x pac 2 power supply
    And westra ls 3051 3 way speakers ( after reading some online i think that the components manufactured in west germany and put together in israel.

My first question is: what is the difftance between the linn sondek with and without the lingo power supply?

Also, if anyone knows/used to own/have some tips about the amplification system or the speakers. and hopefully can give me an Idea about the match of those components together ( lin sondek, Ion pre and power amps with the westra speakers.
    I fell very good about this upgrade i made and generally about my audio system that i I picked up separately with no expiriance and only used components. ( beside the speakers that
    I've "been inherited".
    Thank you to the reader and readers
    greeting,
    Daniel

Randoms likes this.
  2. Danielisr

Almost forgot-
    My phono stage is: cambridge audio c1 phono stage ( this one i bought new)

3. Squiggsy68

Squiggsy68 Forum Resident

Hi, you don't say what you have as a power supply to the Linn currently - is it just the 'standard' 33 rpm only, and not with Valhalla etc? Sounds like quite an old model - which mine was as well when I bought it and I've upgraded incrementally since.

The Lingo will give you a power supply external to the Linn (so you'll have an extra box) - you'll get 45 rpm as well, and consistent monitoring / adjustment of the motor speed to get a consistent revolution speed. They've just brought out a Lingo 4, so you should be able to get deals on the earlier versions (mine is a Lingo 3).

You should get that tone arm looked at as well, that's a very old model and it's likely that the bearings aren't what they used to be.

Have you got the deck up and running yet - how does it sound?

4. Danielisr

Thanks for the detailed answer.
    yes the Valhalla power supply. the tonearm looks as new.
    i plugged it all, sounds great for me.
    cant tell how old is the linn lp12.
    i loked it also when i used to own the pro ject rpm 1 carbon, but now i feel more satesfied about it in the sound aspect.
    cant tell how old is the linn lp12.

5. Randoms

Randoms Aerie Faerie Nonsense

I've said this on several Linn threads, the Lingo is simply one of my favourite LP12 upgrades: imo, the musical improvement is very large over the Valhalla.

Unusual and nice to see some Ion amps, some very good Richard Hay (previously of Nytech) designs.

6. Danielisr

Thank you, can you explain in general: how come the power supply make such big diffrence- i mean, i understands that better electronic Parts cause less hums and noises from the motor? But, is it preferable then switch tonearm/phono stage? Because the lingo is not cheap at all.

Randoms likes this.
  7. Ecjjr

Ecjjr Well-Known Member

I had an LP12 from 1986 till this year . I bought the first iteration of the Lingo and the difference it made was immediate and wonderful. Everything sounded better.

8. Randoms

When the Lingo first came out, I often demonstrated LP12 / Lingo / Akito / K9 against the then top of the range (and more expensive) LP12 / Ekos / Troika, but with Valhalla. The Akito was the replacement for the Basik Plus, but this combination with the Lingo comfortably outperformed the Valhalla combination.

In simple terms with a better power supply, the motor vibrates less which equates to less noise going into the belt / platter which equates to losing musical information off the record. You get better pitch stability, timing, instruments sound like they've been tuned, orchestras, musicians / bands / singers sound like they have improved, you get more detail, dynamics, surface noise is reduced.... see if you can hear one!!

Edit. If the pitch / timing is (very slightly) off from the turntable, no arm, cartridge, phono stage, amp and speakers can rectify it.

The Linn Lingo 4 is far more sophisticated than the three previous models.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
    myles likes this.
  9. Danielisr

Thank you,
    I hope i get a chance to hear one of those lingo's, your comment defenetly Inspires me to do it.

Randoms likes this.
  10. Cyclone Ranger

Cyclone Ranger New old stock

Bear in mind that while the Lingo is a pretty big upgrade, you don’t have to get a brand-spanking-new Lingo 4 for $1900 (which is pricey).

A used Lingo 3 or even 2 or 1 will also be a pretty sizable upgrade too for far less, assuming the rest of your system has decent resolution. A very old Lingo might need to be recapped though, but that’s not horribly expensive.

Oh, and you said elsewhere you don’t know the age of your LP12. There should be a small metal plate at the back of the turntable with the serial number on it. Post that here, and ppl should be able to give you a good idea of its age.

Good luck.

Danielisr and Randoms like this.
  11. JNTEX

JNTEX Lava Police

Yep, locate the serial number.

The lingo is a huge upgrade to the deck your running, even used (no shame in that).

Danielisr, Randoms and Cyclone Ranger like this.
  12. Randoms

Yes, the serial number is a good starting point to find the age of the turntable and it is fairly easy to tell if any of the components have been replaced / upgraded over the years.

The original Lingo was launched in 1990 and the Basik Lvx arm in 1980. There was also a fixed headshell Plus version, which also had better bearings.

Check your headshell screw is not loose, but equally not overtightened - the headshell shouldn't twist at all.

Happy listening!

Danielisr likes this.
  13. Danielisr

The sticker with the s.n is tear off, I also checked the bottom- no serial number.
    I told and also could guess that some componants replaced, for exmple- the logo on the armboard is missing - i guess its been replaced. Can i find anywhere else an avidance that can give me some clue about the tt age?

14. Danielisr

And as for the headshell, i didnt completely understand what you mean.
    Isnt the adjustment should be exact science? Can i tide and loose it by myself?
    The screw looks fine to me, i grab the headshell and try to band it up and dwon( gently) looks likes its screwed on decenetly. Noothing loose or overscrewed but, im not a profetional so...
    But to my ears the it sound great ever since i bought the linn i feelt a lot of improvement in a comparison with the pro-ject.

15. Randoms

That is the main thing, playing and enjoying music!

Obviously you have a non-Linn armboard, but there are several on the market now.

16. Danielisr

In what circumstances should i concider changing armboard to a linn original one?

17. steviebee

steviebee Always playing Ese and The Vooduu People

You're happy with your Linn as it stands....so long as there are no obvious faults, keep the arm board until or if you ever consider making changes such as a Cirkus, Kore or Keel....but those are some way off I'd assume and a change in arm/cartridge may be nearer. Have you had the Linn checked by an experienced dealer? If not, book an overhaul for the springs etc.

If it sounds good, enjoy it! I loved my Valhalla for decades before going to the above upgrades (inc Lingo 4) - which, incidentally, were well worth it....

But if the Linn makes you grin...and it should!....enjoy the heck out of it for awhile. Then any upgrades you make will make your grin even wider :D

TheKevster and Randoms like this.
  18. Danielisr

Well, i bought it from known dealer in israel, he known for his skills expiriance and credibility. Therefore i feel very gold about this deal and how its sounds.
    Like your recommendation tells take it slow and first learn to appreciate and know to defined it better before upgrade it.

Thank you all for the recommendations

Randoms likes this.
  19. steviebee

steviebee Always playing Ese and The Vooduu People

Good. Enjoy your Linn, and more importantly, the music.

TheKevster and Randoms like this.
  20. Randoms

If you want to get an idea of the age of your LP12, here is some great information: Sondek LP12 - Moorgate Acoustics The Setting up your LP12 Volumes: i, ii and iii from Downloads - Cymbiosis have many useful photos that will help you identify key components.

With these and a bit of investigation, you will have a far better understanding of what era parts you have on your turntable, but plinth, subchassis and bearing housing / liner are three areas that have easily identifiable parts.

Even though every component has been upgraded, sometimes several times, the original design of the LP12 gave very good sound from a record, happy listening!

steviebee likes this.
  21. JNTEX

JNTEX Lava Police

And if you see the need to upgrade, you can prob spend up to about 30K on stuff to suit your needs.

A few good photos and some people will comment on it's era and upgrades. Or you can research at what Randoms gave above.

Enjoy

Randoms likes this.
  22. Danielisr

23. Danielisr

Grootna and Randoms like this.
  24. Musicman1963

Musicman1963 Forum Resident

Hi there
    Glad your enjoying your LP12 with regards to determine the age of your deck there's also a date engraved on the underside of the top plate this will require removing the base board and having a look should be in the rear corner, should you wish to do this make sure the decks unplugged from the mains as the Valhalla board has lethal voltages.
    Your need to raise or remove the inner platter to prevent the bearing getting damaged. Just get it serviced and enjoy
    Those upgrades cost a lot of $$$ but are addictive

Randoms and Cyclone Ranger like this.
  25. Randoms

Yes, dropping the base will reveal more secrets for putting an age to your LP12, but the top plate has an extra hole in the top left corner and it is possible that this didn't originally come with your plinth - like the armboard.

Either way, the top plate and arm look in excellent condition and delighted you are enjoying your music.

Without dropping the base which will expose the subchassis (spot-welded / glued), Valhalla and motor, the easy thing to do is remove the outer and inner platters, to expose the bearing housing and liner. These can then be matched from the information earlier in the thread.

Of course the best thing to do is use as intended and play records!

If, and when you add say a Lingo, you will really appreciate the musical improvements it brings. 10,000's enjoyed playing their music on a Valhalla'd LP12 before the Lingo was introduced!

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.