Language question: Why has "vinyls" become a word?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by TMegginson, Aug 13, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stencil

Stencil Forum Resident

Just don't come at me with signage.

2. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd

I found it hard to accept this as a viable argument as soon as the author used the terms "millennial hipsters" and "cool kids". It's sad to me to see so many young people craving to be a "hipster" and "cool". It seems to me to be a generational issue a narcissism that stems from lack of self-worth. I want urge them, "Kids, you don't need a label to be cool. Just be yourself. "

Greg Gee and DTK like this.
  3. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Forum Resident

Total cop-out.

The terms are pertinent to the context of the conversation. They are not used to prove the argument one way or the other, and the author clearly has no interest beyond the truth regarding the word.

I can't help if you're swayed by your emotions rather than a critical evaluation of the facts presented.

(Also, you don't seem to care when those on the side you agree with use these same terms.)

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
    Greg Gee likes this.
  4. classicrockguy

classicrockguy Forum Resident

Sheeps, LOL :biglaugh:

5. classicrockguy

classicrockguy Forum Resident

Or 1970's, was't there a James Brown song called "Super Bad" in the early 1970's?

6. Brian Lux

I don't take sides.

And I can see how my words might be interpreted as a diatribe against a generation of kids so I'll apologize for my poor wording. But I think what I described is real and I think it's the fault of poor parenting and things like kids spending too much time on Facebook and such, not that it is some inherent defect of young people. I'm on the side of the kids. I'd also like to see them use correct language like "vinyl" or "records".

7. spencer1

spencer1 Great Western Forum Resident

I was by no means snooty and called it a turntable in 1970.

My record player pre-dated that and was a Webcor with plastic detachable speakers that I would play Alvin and the Chipmunks on.

Greg Gee and sleepjar like this.
  8. Shaddam IV

I am so not interested in this stuff (nor is the author of the essay). If you've anything to say about the facts presented re: the issue of whether "vinyls" is a word, I'll be happy to engage :)

9. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

Technically, "RBI" stands for "run batted in", nothing about the statistic assumes it is automatically plural.
    It's proper therefore to it to use it both as a singular or plural depending on how many it refers to.

Run batted in - Wikipedia

10. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

"vinyl" as a noun has become a word, by virtue of its use as such. If you object to that, you must also object to the use of the word "glass" to refer to an object that one can drink out of, or of the term "tarmac"(named after the material Tarmacadam) to denote an engineered surface where an aircraft can land. This kind of evolution in language is normal.

The bottom line is this: is this use of the word "vinyl" making it easier to communicate the meaning of something, or is it confusing matters? I would argue that it's making it easier, and therefore should get the tick. This is, after all, the purpose of language - to communicate thoughts.

BeatleJWOL, TMegginson and ParloFax like this.
  11. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

I’m fine with vinyl, vinyls not so much. Solution: Vinyl records.

nosliw and Greg Gee like this.
  12. Brian Lux

Your firs statement there is a good point. Sorry to sidetrack.

As for "vinyls", I guess it's going to be what it's going to be. I just find it a bit sad and pathetic that there are so many examples of "acceptable" language that I believe more so point toward a degradation of language rather than an enrichment of it. "Vinyls" may well be an accepted term and may well end up in Webster's in which case it will technically be considered "correct usage". That doesn't mean it is an improvement on language.

Greg Gee likes this.
  13. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

If you are talking about more than one run batted in, the plural is runs batted in, just as the proper plural of court-martial is courts-martial, not court-martials. When a noun is followed by a post-positive adjective, as in these two examples, it is the noun that is pluralized, not the adjective. No one would say “he has one red house, but she has two greens houses,” and, just because the adjective now follows the noun instead of preceding it, no one would say “Smith has eighty runs batted ins.” That “runs batted in” is abbreviated to “RBI” doesn’t mean you add an “s” to “RBI” to make it plural, the “R” in two or more RBI stands for “runs,” and is already plural.

14. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

I find it funny when I see the word.

So, can I get me some vinyls, they sound super-great

Its the future.

15. Shaddam IV

It's not a new word. The "peeve emergence" is what's new (and incorrect).

16. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

Depends on which dictionary you trust :)

But clearly vinyl is the preferred plural by those immersed in the topic.

Greg Gee likes this.
  17. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Anyone gone fishing for trouts lately? :frog:

18. LitHum05

LitHum05 El Disco es Cultura

It’s like “internets.” It’s not being used seriously half the time (I hope, anyway).

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  19. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Why are you going on about “vinyl” when he said “vinyls?”

20. No but if you go to a bistro where they serve truite meunière or something, and you take the order on the fly for you and your special one, you may well say to the waiter "Two trouts, please!".

bluemooze likes this.
  21. TMegginson

TMegginson Forum Resident Thread Starter

"Signage" has been around since the middle of the 20th Century. How OLD are you people? ;)

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  22. TMegginson

TMegginson Forum Resident Thread Starter

Us white kids have always been a decade behind.

23. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

Because it's relevant. If you accept the premise that there is such a thing as "a vinyl", which I think we should, it then follows that you can have two or three vinyls, or a box of vinyls. "A box of vinyl" would just sound silly; it would imply that someone had melted some vinyl, or powdered it or something, and tipped the mixture into a box.

----------------------
    At present most of the arguments against allowing the use of "vinyl" or "vinyls" in this way seem to amount to "I don't like this new language, it's not the language I grew up with." I could not count the number of new, or newish, expressions, that annoy the crap out of me, but I try to differentiate between those situations where the new word is serving a purpose, and those where it appears someone replaced a perfectly good word with a different one in the hope of sounding cool.

I've said enough on this issue now so I'll shut up about it, but I did think I should respond to this post.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  24. Trace

Trace Senior Member

[​IMG]

Every day we get closer and closer.

nosliw, Greg Gee and Farmer Mike like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.