Elvis at the International Hotel Las Vegas 1969 Box Set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by emjel, Apr 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

Cheers mate.
    That's a relief, I was starting to think I needed to expect the Muppets in the Vatican with porcelain walls lol

GillyT and RSteven like this.
  2. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

Yeah, its really funny how little the actual sound issues on the current release get discussed on these Elvis forums sometimes. Same thing happens on the Sinatra threads too. I find myself asking out loud, "Just tell me if you like the damn sound or not!

3. mark winstanley

When i went back to see your post I saw were the sideline came from. Understandable I guess, been guilty of that myself :)

Nice post by the way. More what I was expecting to read

RSteven likes this.
  4. RoyalPineapple

RoyalPineapple It ain't me in the photo, babe.

At which point you get a hoard of people (well, 5) telling you it's the "worse Elvis release ever", and with persistence, they will eventually convince you that they are right.

So it's probably not worth bothering with.

RSteven and mark winstanley like this.
  5. MaestroDavros

MaestroDavros Forum Resident

Amen.

GillyT, artfromtex and RSteven like this.
  6. Don't forget his excellent Promised Land CD containing most of the same.

artfromtex likes this.
  7. mark winstanley

I can see that, but surely one can be somewhat objective about it.

eg There's a little added reverb, but it isn't an unnatural overbearing splash, more a warm round feel.

eg2 Well they kind of went a little crazy here, it sounds like it was recorded in St Paul's Cathedral.

I figure we all know we are dealing with 8 tracks and not 48 tracks, so in reality there will always be limitations to the source material, but simple things like "it is a little brighter than the Live In Las Vegas disc, but not so much so that it is shrill"

To me although engineers, mixers and mastering guys all have their own thing that they generally follow, it isn't like we need to get into a war about everything they ever did. I wouldn't know Ferrante or Anesini if I fell over them, and unless they do a terrible job, they will remain unknown to me. I'm buying a series of Elvis concerts, not The definitive mixing job of Jimmy Billbob ...
    Does that make sense?

GillyT and SteveM like this.
  8. RoyalPineapple

Yes, makes great sense - and that's exactly my point, too. I gave my own views on the sound quality over the weekend, but it's on Spotify: give a few tracks a listen for yourself!

(Or if you are like me, you'll want to wait 'til the actual set arrives in the post, but will inevitably break down before then. Alas, we are only human).

mark winstanley likes this.
  9. mark winstanley

Yea, I'm going to wait for my set.
    Streaming makes me feel dirty :)

10. So nobody has heard the double LP of this yet ?

CBackley likes this.
  11. Matthew

Matthew Senior Member

My Graceland Exclusive edition of the LP set just arrived, haven't had a chance to spin it yet.

Really disappointed in the quality of the cover, the image has pixilation! And is it me, or is something off with Elvis' upper lip?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sadly the yellow disc has contamination in the pressing, black streaks and smudges (can't really see in this image above).

Comes with a download card, however the download connected to it is the RSD release from April. Ugh.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
    Shvartze Shabbos and artfromtex like this.
  12. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Now my boy my boy, I gotta have me one-uh them

Revelator and RSteven like this.
  13. Dreaddazzman

Dreaddazzman Forum Resident

I got mine today as well. I can’t believe how poorly they packaged this for shipping. It was sent in a flattened priority mailer. That’s it - no protection at all and of course it was damaged. Won’t be buying anything direct from them in the future.

14. Pelvis Ressley

Pelvis Ressley Down in the Jungle Room

Same pixilated cover issues on my ShopElvis copy. No pressing issues. Black vinyl, pressed at Memphis Record Pressing.

[​IMG]

15. Matthew

Matthew Senior Member

Oh yeah, same here. The sticky tab from the mailer was stuck to the shrink-wrap of the vinyl, pulled half of it off. No damage though, thankfully.

16. Matthew

Matthew Senior Member

What's the keychain made from? Plastic?

Spinning side A now, so far so good!

johnny q likes this.
  17. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Hmmm, on second thought Tiny EP aint impressed. I might have to do a round house back kick on em.

Dreaddazzman likes this.
  18. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

I have. I like it a lot.

19. Pelvis Ressley

Pelvis Ressley Down in the Jungle Room

Of course.

20. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Great photo. I ordered the coloured vinyl live 69 vinyl from Graceland. Postage was twice the cost of the record!
    I have the cd box now but have not really gone through it. Are the shows the correct ones or are there any errors?
    Also although it is a soundboard I am surprised they did not include the show from August 3rd just for completeness.

PepiJean likes this.
  21. Matthew

Matthew Senior Member

Here's another comparison piece, this time using In The Ghetto:

In The Ghetto - 1969 Live (Sample Comparison)

0-26s – Live In Las Vegas (BMG, Disc 1); 2001 - Mixed & Mastered by Dennis Ferrante
    26-41s – At The International (FTD); 2002 - Mixed by Dennis Ferrante, Mastered by Lene Reidel
    41-57s – Viva Las Vegas (Sony, Disc 2); 2007 - Mixed by Ray Bardini, Mastered by Vic Anesini
    57-1:17s – In Person (FTD, Disc 2); 2008 - Mixed & Mastered by Vic Anesini
    1:17-1:39s – Hot August Night (FTD); 2013 - Mixed & Mastered by Vic Anesini
    1:39-1:59s – Live at the International Hotel, August 23, 1969 (Sony, RSD Release); 2019 - Mixed by Matt Ross-Spang, Mastered by Vic Anesini
    1:59s-End – In Person (RCA); 1969 (source Sony Legacy Edition 2009) - Remastered by Vic Anesini

Sources missing from this comparison include FTD's All Shook Up (2005), Writing For The King (2006) and Live In Vegas (2011), plus additional recordings from Vegas 1969 (Sony); 2019.

The 2001 and 2002 samples where pulled down around 4dB to volume match to the rest.

22. RoyalPineapple

What would be most useful now is a comparison between the alternate mixes of the same songs from the same concerts, due to some fundamental differences in how each show was captured on tape. It's now obvious that some shows were recorded with a more consistent balance of instruments than others.

As it stands, any comparison is of the differences in performance and recording quality, rather than solely the mix.

I think the new mixes will stand up well when compared to the prior versions of the same shows, whilst also being markedly different, and therefore perhaps appealing to a different audience. All the mixes have their own strengths and weaknesses.

The jury for me is still out, however, on the added echo (not as pronounced on the RSD sampler as other mixes on Live 1969), which sounds more artificial than the more spacious reverb on the Anesini or Ferrante mixes.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
  23. monkboughtlunch

monkboughtlunch Senior Member

What does the heckler say at 9:13 during the Aug 21 monologue?

24. RoyalPineapple

The Ross-Spang treatment of the 22nd evening show has fixed the issue of the very audible distortion on the backing vocals of the Vic Anesini version (In Person FTD disc 2).

The new mix is still essentially missing the piano on a few songs (the midnight show from the same night doesn't have this issue).

They are also very different styles of mixes.

I personally prefer the centered drums and wall-of-sound of the new mix, but Dennis Ferrante perhaps has the definitive word with: "as far as advice to other producers and engineers in this century it would be this, don’t spend all your time wondering if your work is better than someone else. Do your best and the results will amaze you".

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
  25. minkahed

minkahed Forum Resident

Who mixed the concert on the 8 Disc version ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.