Rate and Review the songs of The Monkees Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Turk Thrust, Mar 31, 2019.

1. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Man Without a Dream - pretty solid track from Davy. One of his better performances. 4/5

Hadean75, BobT, intv7 and 1 other person like this.
  2. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

3/5 - More suited for The Righteous Brothers...........and I prefer their version.

Guy Smiley and BZync like this.
  3. Hadean75

Hadean75 Forum Moonlighter

A Man Without A Dream:

5/5 FINALLY we have gotten to this track! This song is right up there with being my absolute favorite Monkees song ever (it just barely misses the top spot). IMHO, probably the best vocal Davy ever laid down as a Monkee. Very mature and gorgeously arranged. And the fact that it's in his natural register makes it all the better. I get why "commercially" the flip side was used as the single, but to me this track is vastly superior and then some. Honestly, I could go on and on about how much I love this track lol. I would give it 100/5 if I could.

4. Rock66

Rock66 Forum Resident

4/5 for A Man Without a Dream. The songs on this album are mostly good, again they didn't have the pressure of the TV show (and of course it's benefit to them) so they could do material that wouldn't be on TV.

BobT, intv7 and The MEZ like this.
  5. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

Great tune, great arrangement courtesy of Bones Howe, great vocal (right in Davy's wheelhouse and he did not disappoint), the Wrecking Crew in full effect, and the fact that it sounds like late '68/early '69, which is hard to describe other than this song is absolutely of its time.

A very solid 4/5.

6. BZync

BZync Senior Member

A Man Without A Dream - I don't dislike it. It's okay but its somewhat ordinary. Having said that, it does have a strong melody and Davy does a good job of it. 3/5

Guy Smiley and The MEZ like this.
  7. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

"A Man Without a Dream", now this is a tough one to rate! When I'm listening to it I feel it rates about a 4/5 but then it sticks in my head all day and I think it's a 5/5, thus I'm giving it 5/5. I don't know if that makes sense but that's how I feel about the track. :)

8. BobT

BobT Resident Monkeeman

A Man Without a Dream- Not your Monkees from 1966-1967 track for sure. A very introspective type of song performed beautifully. David (too mature for Monkee Davy) sings this as great as he can. Fits his vocal register and he really puts his all into it. The 1969 David Jones really came into his own as a singer. The production by Bones Howe was perfect. Nothing I can fault on this one 5/5.

9. FJFP

FJFP Host for the 'Mixology' Mix Differences Podcast

5/5 easily. A perfectly arranged and produced track.

I found it interesting, I was just looking at my UK Instant Replay, and all tracks are credited as 1969, but this is 1968, and Tear Drop City is 1966! Not even subtle!

MarkTheShark, D-rock, intv7 and 2 others like this.
  10. RobRoyF

RobRoyF Forum Resident

A Man Without a Dream
    Songwriters: Goffin/King
    Another track I like as an album cut. I never seek it out, but when playing IR, it just works well for this album. And yes, like the others say here, it does sound more like a late 60s-early 70s song with the brass. Too bad it seemed overlooked then and now. Then again in thinking about it, almost everything from the Monkees' musical output (from 69-70) was largely ignored over the years (last 3 studio albums from the original run).
    3/5

The MEZ likes this.
  11. Glass Candy

Glass Candy Forum Resident

This is what I was going to type, so I'll just quote and wholeheartedly agree. 5/5. One added note: this is the only new recording on the album, same time as the equally brilliant Someday Man.

pablo fanques, intv7, JuanTCB and 2 others like this.
  12. This song is an interesting foreshadowing of what was to come, particularly on Changes (and without giving away too much, I’ll just say that I really like that particular Monkees sound/era—I think it suited Davy and Micky quite well).

A Man Without a Dream

I don’t consider this one of my favorite Davy songs, but it’s solid. (And amazingly—though just barely—it reaches the 3-minute mark. A rare treat for Monkees fans!) Some clever lyrics and very good production, but (for me) no great hook. 3/5.

Guy Smiley and The MEZ like this.
  13. Isamet

Isamet Forum Resident

A Man Without a Dream---5/5--love Davy's vocal and love the horns

pablo fanques, D-rock, intv7 and 2 others like this.
  14. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

A Man Without a Dream 3/5

The MEZ likes this.
  15. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

:yikes: We agree! :righton:

Glass Candy likes this.
  16. spsimmons

spsimmons Forum Resident

5/5. One of Davy's best.

17. bvb1123

bvb1123 Rock and Roll Martian

"Man Without A Dream" Another Davy song I love and another of my favorites on this album. I can't say anything bad about it. 5/5

18. DaveJ

DaveJ Senior Member

Not true. If you look at the label on side 2, Teardrop City is listed as 1966 and A Man Without A Dream as 1968. (The rest are 1969)

To the task in hand, A Man Without A Dream is a good Davy performance and song. It’s not a track I’ve actively seemed out over the years but it’s definitely thumbs up!

A Man Without A Dream - 4/5

pablo fanques, D-rock and The MEZ like this.
  19. RedRoseSpeedway

RedRoseSpeedway Music Lover

Super solid 5/5 for A Man Without A Dream. A gorgeous song with fun horns and a perfect velvet-voiced lead by Davy.

20. JJR

JJR Forum Resident

"Man Without a Dream" is a 3 for me. As a fan however, it is great to see this many people into IR and especially the Davy tracks. They are good tunes, no doubt, but I have to rate based on my somewhat loosely established criteria. So a 4, I would have to either seek out sometimes or pick that album side because of a few of those 4's being on it (normally to go with the 5's). This song would not reach that. I do see why those who gravitate to Davy tunes would like this LP and to me the next as well. 3 of his 4 tunes on Present are fine songs. As mentioned before, lots of Davy's low scores did not see original release for a reason. Or in cases like WWMFEO and TGILBM producers must have figured more brass or violins made Davy's songs better but a song that sounds like the 4 guys playing and Davy singing are best for me. So right now will go on YouTube and listen to both alternate versions of the songs just mentioned.

The MEZ likes this.
  21. David Austin

David Austin Eclectically Coastal

I quite like 'A Man Without a Dream', but I don't understand why. The lyrics are banal - although the titular phrase is quite likable - and that series of four notes on the trumpet is irritating in its repetition. But the song seems better suited to Davy's vocal range than most and, for want of a more concrete word, the production is refreshingly 'airy' (no, I don't really know what I mean). I shouldn't like it, but I do.

22. FJFP

FJFP Host for the 'Mixology' Mix Differences Podcast

Sorry, I clearly didn’t phrase my post right at all - I meant exactly what you said. I know more than those 2 tracks are pre 1969 too.

DaveJ likes this.
  23. Glass Candy

Glass Candy Forum Resident

Gerry Goffin's lyrics are brilliant and reflect exactly where his head was at as his marriage to Carole King collapsed.

DaveJ and MarkTheShark like this.
  24. Shriner

Shriner Forum Resident

AMWAD -- solid 4/5 One of the better songs on the album.

intv7, Hadean75 and The MEZ like this.
  25. Hooperfan

Hooperfan Your friendly neighborhood candy store owner

A Man Without a Dream

One of David's best vocals on record. He had a fine baritone voice and songs like this fit it well. May have just a wee bit too much horns (especially right before the last verse, some mixes had them way too loud), but the song itself is one of my favorites on the album.

5/5