Language question: Why has "vinyls" become a word?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by TMegginson, Aug 13, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

I’m saying that turning the adjective “vinyl” into a noun that can be pluralized violates the instinctive sense that English doesn’t do that: I wouldn’t tell someone that “I bought five cotton shirts” by shortening it to “I bought five cottons.” You might say “I bought five of the cotton” with “shirtsor “ones” understood as the omitted plural noun that “cotton” is modifying. But if you wouldn’t say “I bought five cottons shirts,” and no one would say that in English, you don’t magically make the the adjective plural because the noun it modifies is omitted. Modern English doesn’t make adjectives plural to agree with plural nouns: we don’t say “I bought five reds shirts,” although in French one would say “J’ai acheté cinq chemises rouges,” with “rouge” made plural in that sentence to agree in number with the noun it modifies.

intv7 likes this.
  2. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

I think I'm going to bring back the word "Victrola".

dalem5467 likes this.
  3. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

After Webster's added another definition to the word "literally" to also mean something "figuratively", all bets were off with the English language, and you can now make up your own damn words to mean whatever the hell you want!

4. thrivingonariff

thrivingonariff Forum Resident

Except that it does do that, and it's not that unusual.

5. Greg Gee

Greg Gee "I tried to change but I changed my mind..."

It's the same in applied engineering. People who speak the language always refered to megawatts or megabyts when quantifying the term as 2 meg, as an example. And now cable companies and internet providers refer to everything as megs, which drives me nuts. I've been using meg, even in a plural sense, for over 30 years in professional circles, yet, away from the job, I always get corrected by some ignoramous with "it's megs" because he heard it on a commercial once? The pride of the ignorant wants to be protected at all costs. Gimme a break! Step into my world and try that one.

bluemooze likes this.
  6. Tartifless

Tartifless Forum Resident

Vinyl has never been an adjective, always a noun

Grant and Greg Gee like this.
  7. Greg Gee

Yeah, a banger is a sausage. ;o)

Elliottmarx likes this.
  8. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

The reason “RBIs” is wrong is not that “the final letter is the noun,” it’s that the first word of the acronym or abbreviation is the noun, and “batted in” is an adjectival phrase that follows it. Again, no one would ever say “Mike Trout is on pace for 120 runs batted ins this season.” When we abbreviate the correct plural “runs batted in” to “RBI,” the “R” stands for the plural noun “runs” when we are talking about more than one run batted in. There’s no need to make the abbreviation a double plural.

We see this principle in effect, ironically enough, on record labels that state “33 1/3 RPM,” not “33 1/3 RPMs.” In this case “RPM” stands for “revolutions per minute,” and there is no need, reason, or excuse to make the abbreviation into a double plural by saying or writing “33 1/3 RPMs.” People would certainly laugh at anyone who said “33 1/3 revolutions per minutes.”

9. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

I believe it was [and this is totally anecdotal, btw] something that crept into use with an ironic twist of "I call them vinyls even though I know vinyl is plural".

That's the inflection I first heard when my son [who is now 21] started referring to "vinyls" several years back. Then the ironic tone fell by the wayside and now it is a thing....

Eric_Generic likes this.
  10. Greg Gee

11. oxegen

oxegen Forum Resident

Not forgetting - this, that, these and those.

12. TMegginson

TMegginson Forum Resident Thread Starter

My friends in Italy laughed at how we say "lasagna" as a singular. (It's plural "lasagne" in Italian.)

They joked that American lasagna is in the singular because it's a singular cheesy glob.

13. TMegginson

AAVE is a variety of American English with consistent rules and vocabulary. I didn't say all Black people in the USA speak it.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  14. Greg Gee

The "maths" include:
    Algebra
    Trigonometry
    Geometry
    Calculus
    Differential Equations

15. You misunderstood the chain of my thoughts.

Grant likes this.
  16. To which I agree wholeheartedly. But still language evolves...

17. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Good for them.

18. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

It’s an adjective when it’s used in a sentence such as “She wore a vinyl raincoat” or “I bought a vinyl record.” Turning “vinyl records” into “vinyls” makes as little sense as turning “compact discs” into “compacts.” No one would say “I bought five Steve Hoffman compacts” or “The black triangle Abbey Road is my favorite compact.”

intv7, Greg Gee and Eric_Generic like this.
  19. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

When we were kids, my Dad always called records "LP's"
    When he heard me call them "albums", he told me that when he was young an "album" meant a book of 78's (usually they came in "4's")
    An "EP" to my Dad meant a 4 track 45 rpm single that was popular in the 50's.
    He also used to buy 10" 33 rpm records in the 50's that had maybe 4 songs per side.

"Vinyls" has always bugged me. It's something kids still say a lot.

20. TMegginson

"I laundered my linens"
    "The glass is half-full"
    "I put on my leathers"

It's commonplace in all kinds of English.

Grant likes this.
  21. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

You missed one.

"who's first language"

22. ^^^ "Millennial" used to be an adjective only, too.

23. TMegginson

That's why we ended up calling long-playing records "albums" — because the format replaced "albums" of 78s.

24. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

We called 'singles' "45's" when we were kids but then that term seemed to go away.

25. TMegginson

Like the word "meme," it didn't arise organically; it was coined. Before Howe & Strauss published Millennials Rising: The Next Great Generation, the generation was known as "Gen Y."

This is why I think my son's generation won't end up calling themselves "Gen Z." Too derivative.

ParloFax likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.