Poll - The Weakest Link: The Jayhawks - Hollywood Town Hall, Round 5

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stefane, Aug 13, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stefane

stefane Forum Resident Thread Starter

We had a tie in round 4: This means that both "Take Me with You (When You Go)" and "Settled Down like Rain" are out.

We will vote off one other track in round 5.

Discussion question:
    Which other bands/projects/records from members of The Jayhawks do you know?
    What are your faves among these albums? And do you think that any of these albums would be on a par with The Jayhawks' best work?
    What comes to my mind: Gary Louris solo, Mark Olson solo, Gary Louris & Mark Olson, Golden Smog, Mark Olson & The (Original Harmony Ridge) Creekdippers; I am sure there are a lot more that I didn't think of.

04) Take Me with You (When You Go) (round 4)
    04) Settled Down like Rain (round 4)
    06) Sister Cry (round 3)
    07) Clouds (round 2)
    08) Wichita (round 2)
    09) Nevada, California (round 1)
    10) Martin's Song (round 1)

2. stefane

Gary Louris - Vagabonds (Rykodisc, 2008)
    [​IMG]

Mark Olson & Gary Louris - Ready for the Flood (New West, 2008)
    [​IMG]

3. stefane

The Original Harmony Ridge Creek Dippers - The Original Harmony Ridge Creek Dippers (self-released, 1997)
    [​IMG]

The Original Harmony Ridge Creek Dippers - Pacific Coast Rambler (self-released, 1998)
    [​IMG]

The Original Harmony Ridge Creek Dippers - Zola and the Tulip Tree (self-released, 1999)
    [​IMG]

4. stefane

Mark Olson & The Original Harmony Ridge Creekdippers - My Own Jo Ellen (Hightone, 2000)
    [​IMG]

Mark Olson and The Creekdippers - December's Child (Dualtone, 2002)
    [​IMG]

The Creekdippers - Mystic Theatre (Glitterhouse, 2004)
    [​IMG]

The Creekdippers - Political Manifest (Mercy Recordings, 2004)
    [​IMG]

5. Fortuleo

Fortuleo Used to be a Forum Resident

Waiting for the Sun to go…

I know, own and mostly love all the Jayhawks family tree LP's.

Vagabonds may not contain the best of Gary Louris songwriting but the overall feel of a Laurel Canyon "All Things Must Pass" (even if a single LP) makes it a very compelling listen. Every Golden Smog LP is pure greatness, but my preference would go to Down by the Old Mainstream. Louris particularly shines on opener "V" and closer "Radio King" (co-written with Jeff Tweedy). Olson's solo career is one of the greatest contemporary artistic journeys that I know of. The Original Harmony Ridge Creekdippers first (self titled) and third ("Zola & the Tulip Tree") are unsung (but well sung !!) masterpieces. As are "December Child" (with the fabulous Olson/Louris duet "Say You'll Be Mine") and "Salvation Blues" (a couple more excellent duets on that one). His latest ("Spokeswoman of the Bright Sun") is also remarkable. As far as duets go, you can't beat "Ready for the Flood", the album Olson and Louris made as a duo more than ten years ago, with some of their best ever songs ("Saturday Morning on Sunday Street", "Black Eye" etc.).

stefane and Mr. D like this.
  6. Mr. D

Mr. D Forum Resident

CITW.

Love the Golden Smog albums, especially Weird Tales.

7. stefane

Once again: "Two Angels" to go.

I very much like the homemade approach of The Original Harmony Ridge Creek Dippers albums. All these albums are low-key, stripped-down affairs, very intimate, with an old-time feeling, Victoria Williams is adding some lovely crankiness and eccentricity, and the vocal harmonies between Mark Olson and Vic are just marvelous. Wonderful music created within a minimal, acoustic setting. And the fiddle and viola work by Mike "Razz" Russell is just adding a very nice texture to the tracks.

Some great tracks on each of these albums:
    "The Original Harmony Ridge Creek Dippers": "Be on My Way Home", "Mr. Parker".
    "Pacific Coast Rambler": the title track, "Prayer of the Changing Leaf", "Call the Light".
    "Zola & the Tulip Tree": "Into the Yard".
    "My Own Jo Ellen": "Someone to Talk With", "Meeting in Lone Pine", "Ben Johnson's Creek", "Rosalee".
    "December's Child": the title track, "Nerstrand Woods", "Say You'll Be Mine", "One Eyed Black Moses".

"My Own Jo Ellen" and "December's Child" are my faves. They do not catch up with The Jayhawks' "Hollywood Town Hall" or "Tomorrow the Green Grass", but I prefer them over any other Jayhawks album.

8. stefane

Mark Olson - The Salvation Blues (Hacktone, 2007)
    [​IMG]

Mark Olson - Many Colored Kite (Rykodisc, 2010)
    [​IMG]

Mark Olson - Good-bye Lizelle (Glitterhouse, 2014)
    [​IMG]

Mark Olson - Spokeswoman of the Bright Sun (Glitterhouse, 2017)
    [​IMG]

9. stefane

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.