For What It’s Worth

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pocofan, Aug 13, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pocofan

pocofan Senior Member Thread Starter

Still enjoy that song but how many movies has it been used in ??? How much money has Stills made off that one song ???

2. Elliottmarx

Elliottmarx Always in the mood for Burt Bacharach

You just gave the elevator pitch of the book I'm too untalented to write.

I would love for a forensic economist to trace all of the sources of revenue from
    just one song. From licenses, to sync rights, to publishing, ASCAP royalties from being
    played on jukeboxes, live performances, cover versions, etc.
    A song like For What it's Worth would be A) a great title for this book, and B) a
    great song for study.

3. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

To think this was even used in beer commercials... :unhunh:

I have heard that track in Forrest Gump, Tropic Thunder, Born On The 4th Of July, even on an episode of "The West Wing"! Almost as overused as Fortunate Son, if you ask me.

(Both are great songs, of course. No doubt about that.)

4. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

Yeah, it's interesting. I've thought about this too. Not writing a book but about how much a single song can make.

Like, how much money has Jack Tempchin made off of Peaceful Easy Feeling? A whole hell of a lot obviously but how much?

GoodKitty, vonwegen, carlwm and 3 others like this.
  5. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

some songs just seem like they will be sung for all time ... even though we know that isn't true, but some folks made an awful lot of cash off one nice idea that clicked with everybody

carlwm and LeBon Bush like this.
  6. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

A prime example is "All Along The Watchtower", of course the Hendrix version. That one was even used in Vietnam-themed video games! People hear that opening riff and instantly think of choppers flying over the Mekong, machine guns, lots of bodies, etc... or at least it seems like that sometimes.

7. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

Unless there's some later "director's cut" or TV edit, "For What It's Worth" is apparently not in "Born on the 4th of July" - it's only in the trailer. This irritated Stills it seems, as he introduced the song for a while after this as "Now the nominee for best song in the trailer that's not actually in the movie".

8. Elliottmarx

Elliottmarx Always in the mood for Burt Bacharach

The gratuitous 1960's song used in films, seems to me is Spirit in the Sky. it has been licensed so many times, and it is ubiquitous.
    Since Greenbaum is a one hit wonder, tracking that revenue from that song would be easier, than say, looking at Dylan or Hendrix.

9. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

Yeah, that would actually make a great exposition for some serious research. One-hit wonders should be good for those kinds of work - you're right, that song is everywhere.

Elliottmarx and carlwm like this.
  10. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

"Mandela effect" strikes again :laugh: strange it's in the trailer w/o being in the actual film. Yes, that happens quite often, but in this case I could've sworn it was in the film. Since there's no extended cut I know of, it seems the song really wasn't in the film, then.

RayS likes this.
  11. RayS

I probably haven't seen the film since it came out (I remember seeing it in the theater). I'm trusting Stephen on this one. :)

LeBon Bush likes this.
  12. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

Definitely. He should know best in this regard :agree:

RayS likes this.
  13. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

This song is up there with « Fortunate Son » for flagrant use in 60s, Nam, soundtracks....
    Must be filed as such in film libraries along with the Wilhelm Scream

audiomixer and Lownotes like this.
  14. edrebber

edrebber Forum Resident

What kind of deal did Stills have for his publishing royalties? Seems like many artists of that era had notoriously bad deals.

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  15. RayS

One thing that I noticed about this song after the 1000th listen and can't unhear is how they took the "p" off of "people" the second time it's used (not "young people" but "a thousand people") I assume to avoid popping on the record.

16. Socalguy

Socalguy Forum Resident

Whatever it generates, he deserves every penny.

17. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Well said! :righton:

audiomixer likes this.
  18. vonwegen

vonwegen Forum Resident

TheWord magazine had a feature about 3 songs that made fortunes for songwriters in the UK. As I recall, two of them were: "Walking On Sunshine" (Katrina & The Waves (by Kimberly Rew)) and "Handbags and Gladrags"(Chris Farlowe, Rod Stewart, Stereofonics (by Mike d'Abo, of Manfred Mann). Both songwriters did quite well, collecting airplay royalties over several decades.

d'Abo also co-wrote "Build Me Up Buttercup", but got sued in the US and only got royalties there after a prolonged court case.

Too bad TheWord went under--they had a lot of good articles about artists who normally seldom get written about.

carlwm likes this.
  19. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

willy, Gaslight and carlwm like this.
  20. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

Good song. I like the pre Spooky Tooth version by Art as well:

21. Tom Daniels

Tom Daniels Forum Resident

It’s like “happiness is a warm, yes it is, gu uh uh”

22. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

Personally, I think it’s outrageous that someone can spend 15 minutes writing a song and never have to work again. Being a working stiff this naturally grates on me. But if any song is so deserving I guess it’s this one.

23. John54

John54 Senior Member

I'm still amazed that a song allegedly about a riot can be so mind-numbingly dull.

Expecting to Fly, On the Way Home -- now those are great songs!

Chuckee and edrebber like this.
  24. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

What a sound.....that Martin guitar and those harmonics. Ominous and awesome.

25. edrebber

edrebber Forum Resident

I thought I remembered Stills complaining when Young backed out of the Buffalo Springfield reunion tour that he was counting on the income from the tour. Seemed like he needed to work.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.