MeTV adding “The Flintstones” September 30th.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, Aug 13, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AKA

AKA Senior Member Thread Starter

Kind of a big deal, because Warner has been pretty stingy the past 25 years with their Hanna-Barbera stuff, keeping it to themselves for Cartoon Network/Boomerang. I wonder if we’ll start seeing more H-B stuff, or even Looney Tunes and Tom and Jerry, out in the wild in the near future.

2. Scooterpiety

Scooterpiety Ars Gratia Artis

I hope we can see those cartoons somewhere else, I long for the old pre cable days when local stations showed HB and WB cartoons daily. I don't think I've seen the Flintstones regularly since the golden age of Cartoon Network in the late ' 90s and early 2000s.

MikeInFla and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  3. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

I really need to go out and get a better antenna now. Regular television just seems to keep getting better. I only watch this stuff when I visit my parents so it's like a time warp for me. Here's hoping for more H-B and Warner Bros.. While I'd love to see the early ones, how about throwing out some Animaniacs too!

Strummergas and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  4. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

It'll be cropped to 1.66 (or whatever weirdo AR MeTV is using). The ads for the show will be in 1.33, though. Go figure!

mne563 and ElevatorSkyMovie like this.
  5. AKA

It might be your local affiliate. Mine still shows most programming in 1.33. The only shows I can think of that are cropped are The Monkees, M*A*S*H, and Columbo, and that’s probably the way the network receives them from the distributors.

MeTV Picture Quality FAQ

6. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

I dunno. I commute between Los Angeles, Wichita, and, Seattle (home), and nothing is shown in 1.33 on any of them (except ads for stuff like Hogan's Heroes -- which are still in 1.33, but then the show comes on, and it's 1.6 or something weird).

ElevatorSkyMovie likes this.
  7. RobRoyF

RobRoyF Forum Resident

I haven't seen the Flintstones on a regular basis since the 80s. I might give that a watch now and then.

MikeInFla likes this.
  8. konut

konut Prodigious Member. Thank you.

Yabba Dabba Doo!

MikeInFla likes this.
  9. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

Here MeTV airs most stuff in the proper ratio. The problem is the signal’s extremely compressed. It’s a sub channel from our NBC affiliate which as the best OTA picture quality in town so I guess that’s the trade off.

dan c

10. m5comp

m5comp Classic Rock Lover

Our MeTV affiliate (sub-channel of the NBC station in Birmingham) has everything "squeezed" so that the picture setting on my TV has to be set to Wide to display the picture correctly.

11. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

The streets of Rome are filled with Rubble!

MikeInFla and willwin like this.
  12. dude

dude Senior Member

When was the last time the reruns were on tv anywhere? It seems like a long time.

clhboa likes this.
  13. Joseph.McClure

Joseph.McClure Forum Resident

MeTV is standard definition here :-(

14. Ty D. Tatman

Ty D. Tatman Forum Resident

Does anyone have any real numbers for how MeTV does? Seems to be the flag bearer of the subnetworks. In my old age, I've found Saturday nights with Svengoolie are a highlight of the week.

15. Vanguardsman

Vanguardsman Forum Resident

Tried to watch Bonanza on MeTV the other day. 35 minutes show, 25 minute commercials.

16. Ignatius

Ignatius Forum Resident

Yabba dabba don't! METV keeps replacing its good stuff with garbage. Remember when The Rockford Files was on in the late afternoons?

Spaghettiows likes this.
  17. nopedals

nopedals Forum Resident

Watching a cartoon that was originally broadcast in SD in SD does not strike me as being a big problem, especially if they use the original aspect ratio. If they went HD for subchannels there would be a lot fewer subchannels.

18. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

Yeah, the programming has been weaker in the last couple of years. I know that they need to turn over the programming occasionally but I would rather have The Bob Newhart Show back instead of Gomer Pyle or 2 nightly episodes of Hogan's Heroes. I like Hogan's Heroes but don't need to binge watch it.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  19. AKA

Warner recently remastered the (original run of) The Jetsons in 2K for Blu-ray release, and it looks gorgeous. Hopefully The Flintstones gets the same treatment.

Dan C likes this.
  20. AKA

And you can see the film grain, so there’s no apparent noise reduction.

Dan C likes this.
  21. Ty D. Tatman

Ty D. Tatman Forum Resident

The programming on all of the subchannels is rather weak as a whole, that said, it's nice having 18+ free OTA channels. Especially in the day of the cord cutter. Between Star Trek, Johnny Carson, WKRP, The Twilight Zone, Svengoolie and the like, I get a lot of mileage out of them. It would be cool if more and more people continue to slash cable and go back to OTA if some of these channels would perhaps get back into the syndication game but I think all original programming is gone the way of Netflix.

22. bekayne

bekayne Senior Member

They're now on the final season. Boy, the writing really got lazy in the Gerry Johnson years.
    Wilma: Pebbles really likes the grape juice!
    Betty: Bam Bam too!

Wilma:Fred is up to something!
    Betty:Barney too!

Wilma: Dino's really happy!
    Betty:Hoppy too!

23. Otlset

Otlset I think I am I think

I was amazed the show had a "Bewitched" themed episode recently, using the animated versions of Samantha and Darrin used in that show's opening credits. Cute, but weird collision of the two shows.

24. bekayne

bekayne Senior Member

25. samthesham

samthesham Forum Resident

I detest that early post Eisenhower era retro garbage, those shows depict women as machines & they only act & think what their ultra conservative husbands dictate...

The 60s did away with all that rubbish & now tv is attempting to take us back to the dark ages...

Cartoons for the Trump era indeed...

Squaresville man!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.