Nick Lowe Getting Six New Deluxe Reissues From Yep Roc Records

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mlew, Apr 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sennj

sennj I'm slower than I look...

Check the YepRoc site. I think they've (quietly?) reissued this one. Of course they've used GZ to press it, so my new copy was appallingly noisy and needs to be returned. But it is available, so there's that... Good luck!

Larsen likes this.
  2. Larsen

Larsen Forum Resident

I ordered that during my YepRoc sale frenzy. Hopefully it'll turn ut OK. I've had mixed experiences with GZ pressings. Nothing wrong with the original CD, though!

sennj likes this.
  3. James spencer

James spencer Forum Resident

Got my LP copy of At My Age yesterday. A little worse for wear thanks to the mailman who apparently tried to fold it in two, but the record is flat, centered and quiet. Better than my original copy which was stolen when I moved to Tennessee (insert fist shaking emoji). I'm happy.
    Do we know for sure if this is a repress? Could it just be a stash of new old stock?

4. Dodgytc

Dodgytc Forum Resident

Thanks for the heads up ! Ebay prices on this on LP have been over $100 for ages.
    I emailed Yep Roc when I ordered the last EP and I suggested a reprint, but never got a reply. I like to think I had a hand in this!

TC

Larsen and sennj like this.
  5. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

Just came across this 1985 article about The Rose of England, one of my favorite Nick Lowe albums. I was never a huge fan of the "I Knew the Bride" remake, but this was very revealing:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/lifestyle/1985/10/23/nick-lowe-riding-a-new-wave/

"Huey Lewis is the only person I ever knew as a normal person and then watched him become a megastar before my very eyes," Lowe says.

"His first band, the Clover, played on Elvis' first album, which I produced, and Huey played some bits on my first album. So this year I was telling Huey that Columbia didn't like my new album, because they didn't think it was commercial enough.

"Huey said, 'No problem, let's do "I Knew the Bride." 'But that's a bit of a chestnut,' I told him. 'I wrote it nine years ago for Dave Edmunds.' And he said, 'Your fans may know that, but let's face it, their numbers are not exactly legion. Let's recut it with a more modern sound.' So we cut it in three days with his band, the News, and all of a sudden Columbia decided the album was exactly what they were looking for."

Also this:

When Lowe started recording, longtime friend Costello came down to the studio as always. "Elvis got real excited that we were recording almost totally live," Lowe recounts. "We just set up the microphones, and away we went. He phoned me up a few days later and said, 'I've got this song you might like to try, Nick.'

"I sort of dreaded listening to it. Although Elvis is a great songwriter, his songs usually have tons of chords and vocal twists and very personal lyrics, none of which really fit my style. But he played me the song, 'Indoor Fireworks,' and it was pretty straightforward; I suppose it's about the breakup of his marriage. I was very pleased to record it; my own marriage had also just ended, but there had been no fireworks; it was all quite amicable and boring."

Chazzbo13, Larsen, Craig and 6 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.