Golden Earring - new boxset "The Complete Studio Recordings"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MJConroy, Jan 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Slim Zooms

Slim Zooms Senior Member

Got tickets for the Ahoy gig! Really stoked, hope the band are great! Just need some cheap flights now....:whistle:

slipkid and Haggis Wampovich like this.
  2. Slim Zooms

Slim Zooms Senior Member

Just snagged a copy of Moontan on CD on the Polydor label.

I'm not used to hearing the tracks in this order as I usually play the US version. I played it alongside the boxed set version. On initial listening it sounds warmer than the Red Bullet & the bass is particularly nice.

Moontan USA will still be my go-to copy but this version makes a nice change. :righton:

3. mestreech, Pim and Slim Zooms like this.
  4. Crawlin From The Wreckage

Crawlin From The Wreckage Custom Titled

I have a complete set of the original Polydor CDs. I'll never trade them in. The Polydor Moontan is the original artist's intent and remains my go-to. Sounds warm and crankable (to me) too.

Slim Zooms likes this.
  5. Slim Zooms

Slim Zooms Senior Member

Hey guys, just snagged a vinyl copy of Moontan on Track Records from a charity shop. Vinyl looks good gatefold sleeve a bit worn, but nice pristine lyric sheet.
    Looking forward to hearing it, a nice find.

6. mestreech

mestreech Forum Resident

Slim Zooms and Haggis Wampovich like this.
  7. Slim Zooms

Slim Zooms Senior Member

Just missed out on a Japanese paper sleeve copy of Moontan. It was same tracks as Polydor album with Big Tree Blue Sea ASA a bonus track.

Does anyone on here have it & is it worth seeking out?

8. Kym

Kym Former Resident

Is it this one?
    Golden Earring - Moontan

If so, it's a Russian bootleg. AFAIK, a legitimate Japanese mini-LP CD was never released.

That said, I bought one of these (with obi) from eBay a few years ago. The sound quality is actually pretty good, and the DR numbers show it too:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    DR Peak RMS Filename
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR11 -0.26 dB -14.82 dB 01 Candy's Going Bad.aif
    DR13 -0.09 dB -16.66 dB 02 Are You Receiving Me.aif
    DR12 -1.07 dB -16.00 dB 03 Suzy Lunacy.aif
    DR12 -0.02 dB -16.34 dB 04 Radar Love.aif
    DR11 -0.97 dB -15.14 dB 05 Just Like Vince Taylor.aif
    DR12 -0.15 dB -15.80 dB 06 The Vanilla Queen.aif
    DR12 -0.86 dB -16.31 dB 07 Big Tree, Blue Sea.aif

Number of Files: 7
    Official DR Value: DR12

=======================================================

Last edited: Apr 10, 2019
    Slim Zooms likes this.
  9. Slim Zooms

Slim Zooms Senior Member

Hi there Kym. Yes this is the one I saw.
    Interesting release. Is the version of BTBS the same as on Wall Of Dolls or from the USA Moontan?

10. Kym

Kym Former Resident

It's the later 8:13 version from the USA Moontan.

11. Slim Zooms

Slim Zooms Senior Member

Thanks Kim, cheers Slim.

12. Slim Zooms

Slim Zooms Senior Member

Just snagged the On Location album by George Kooymans & Frank Carillon. Its really good, good songs, arrangements & production. Am on second time through now & was really surprised to hear the A Sound I Never Heard track from the Millbrook album which sounds great here.
    Good shout Slipkid! :righton:

slipkid likes this.
  13. Has anyone picked up the Moontan 2019 RSD lp on turquoise vinyl? How does it sound?

I just ordered one on eBay for $29.00 USD

14. My RSD Moontan just arrived. Will listen later, but it looks like standard MOV quality so far.

The gatefold cover, compared to my earlier MOV pressing, is a touch brighter. The turquoise vinyl matches the boa on the cover...a nice little detail.
    Also comes with replica of original insert as well as a 12” x 12” flat of the ‘panther logo’ as seen here:
    Golden Earring - From Heaven From Hell

The lp contains the original 6 songs (ie no Big Tree, Blue Sea redux).

I have several copies/pressings of this recording, but it’s always a small thrill to see it polished up in a slightly different way.

It looks like 3000 were pressed. Mine is 537.

Juggsnelson and Slim Zooms like this.
  15. Slim Zooms

Slim Zooms Senior Member

Haggis, that sounds absolutely fantastic. Wish I had a turntable then I'd be in the game for that one!

16. It’s never too late. Honestly, no digital version of GE material surpasses the original vinyl, and my rig is middle of the road. It’s worth it!

Slim Zooms likes this.
  17. onm3rcur7

onm3rcur7 Forum Resident

How is the sound compared to the original vinyl?

18. The sound is good compared to my original Dutch and German copies of this album. My Dutch pressing is my preferred version because I think the soundstage is better.

onm3rcur7 likes this.
  19. Slim Zooms

Slim Zooms Senior Member

Just had a listen to Contraband tonight.

Wow! What a powerful album. Couple of tracks are below par but enough crackers on it to make it one of my favourites. Fighting Windmills & Mad Love are two of my favourites. Still trying to track this down as a Polydor CD....... :whistle:

davidb1 likes this.
  20. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

FYI that album was released here in the USA on MCA (I had the original vinyl) as a different title (Mad Love) with slightly different tracklist (& completely different cover . I don't recall if I ever had it on USA CD (or if it even came out that way), and the only one I have now is the Red Bullet remaster.

Slim Zooms likes this.
  21. Just FYI, Music On Vinyl is pressing 1000 copies of the fantastic self titled album from 1970. It’s being pressed on gold and red vinyl. This lp is hard to find as an original or reissue.., I picked one up on eBay for under $30.00. It’s easily worth it for the version of Big Tree, Blue Sea.

If you’re interested, here is a link:
    GOLDEN EARRING - GOLDEN EARRING - Music On Vinyl

jon9091 likes this.
  22. Slim Zooms

Slim Zooms Senior Member

Hi Haggis
    That is certainly good news for vinyl fans. It is a fantastic album, easily in my top 5 Earring albums, if not my top 2 :D

Haggis Wampovich likes this.
  23. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

aka Walls of Dolls album

Great album.

24. Pim

Pim Forum Resident

And "Paradise In Distress" is finally coming to vinyl next month!

Slim Zooms likes this.
  25. Slim Zooms

Slim Zooms Senior Member

Finally, finally got hold of a Polydor "Contraband" CD. It was worth the wait.
    Warm & I can turn it up without having an ear bleed. :D :righton:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.